How fast is a "run"

Options
Sjenny5891
Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
How fast should you be running? Would it vary for everyone or is there a set speed you should aim for?

Replies

• tcs1012
    tcs1012 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think MFP considers anything less than 5.0 to be a walk. However, even though my speed is much slower than that I still consider what I'm doing as a run.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    How fast you run is how fast you run. Everyone is different. Your "perfect" speed is the one that you can hold a conversation in. For me, that speed is between 4.5-5.0 mph.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    For C25K, running speed will depend entirely on the person. Go as slowly as you need to to be able to complete each interval and maintain good form. Speed can, and will, come later. Good luck!
  • shequeen
    shequeen Posts: 7
    Options
    This is good advice. I start c25k tomorrow. Thanks guys
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The definition of running is having both feet off the ground at the same time. When you walk, at least one foot is on the ground at all times.

There is no such thing as "jogging." It's just a way to disparage your own running abilities.

One of the things that got me through the C25k program was the statement in Rodale's Complete Book of Walking that it is possible to run slower than a fast walk. The slower you run, the more fun and successful you'll be with C25k.

When I logged my exercise into MFP, I always included my wu/cd into my times and have not yet "run" according to their standards. However, I have finished a 10k in the mid-pack, so I'm satisfied with my abilities.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I run at the same pace my workout partner walks. She is 9 inches taller than me and is recovering from a knee injury so she walks, I run and we stay together. Works for me!
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The running speed is the speed at which you are not walking, but can still breathe/talk normally. We are all comfortable at different speeds. Don't think that you have to run a 6 min. mile in order to be "running."

I love, LOVE the comment about there is no jogging!!! Love that!!!
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Varda, you nail it every time!
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for this.

I'm not quite ready to run because I'd do some permanent damage to my knees, I'm sure, but it's great to know that even if I'm slow, I can still "run".

Thank you for the definition and encouraging a hopeful future-runner.
    The definition of running is having both feet off the ground at the same time. When you walk, at least one foot is on the ground at all times.

There is no such thing as "jogging." It's just a way to disparage your own running abilities.

One of the things that got me through the C25k program was the statement in Rodale's Complete Book of Walking that it is possible to run slower than a fast walk. The slower you run, the more fun and successful you'll be with C25k.

When I logged my exercise into MFP, I always included my wu/cd into my times and have not yet "run" according to their standards. However, I have finished a 10k in the mid-pack, so I'm satisfied with my abilities.
  • Carolw12
    Carolw12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow I run really, really slow. If I ran at 4.5 I would fall off the treadmill...lol :grumble:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Wow I run really, really slow. If I ran at 4.5 I would fall off the treadmill...lol :grumble:

I've heard ladies who run their warm-ups at 11 minute per mile describe themselves as "really, really slow." ALL runners are "really, really slow" in their own minds.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Im running at 4.3mph, sprints are 5.0 or 5.5mph. I'll get faster with time and weight loss, working on the cardio and endurance at the moment. x
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just looked back over my times from when I started C25K in January to the run I've just done this evening. When I started I was doing 16 - 17 minutes / mile (and I thought I was going to die at that pace!). Now, I've just come back from a run on a hot evening and managed 9 - 10 minutes / mile. Do I run fast? Nope. Am I proud that I can run at all? Yup. It was running when it was 16 - 17 minutes per mile... and it's running now. And it'll still be running if I manage to go a bit quicker.

Funnily enough, running isn't a race. The speed you go is the speed you should feel proud of achieving, whatever that is.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    At the moment, in the heat, I'm running an approx. 13 min mile. It's slow but it gets me through the run, which is what I'm interested in right now, and it may slow down more when it gets hotter. I'm more worried that the heat will stop me from running and I'll lose the ability I have fought so hard to win. So, "slow and steady and maintain the distance" is my motto for the summer.

There have been a couple of really hot days and I've split my run into 3 - 2K runs with a couple of minutes "cool down" walk in between. That seemed to work well for me.

Does anyone take water with them on a 5K run? How do you carry it? Hang onto a bottle in your hand?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I actually have a water belt that I used to use for longer walks. They make bottles with hand straps now, but I feel uneven if I carry something in my hands.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Varda! I'll look into those. I think I may need to start carrying some water with me soon.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Thank you. I have been struggling with this. I walk a lot at work and didn't realize how fast until i started. I have been walking around 4.5mph so the "run" was aggrivating me.

Trying to run holding a water bottle bothers me. Do you think it would be "cheating" if i used my hiking backpack/ water bottle?
  • debaof
    debaof Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you on the heat. I have been running and walking since January but when it is 90 degrees outside and the humidity is high I physically can't do it.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you run you are a runner, regardless of speed. I run pretty slow but I blame my short legs for that :) Depending on whether I use the treadmill at home or ones in the gym and even the one in the shoe store my speed ranges from 3.6mph to 4.5mph. Don't be intimidated if you are a "slow" runner, you are still a runner :flowerforyou:
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use a program with c25k that tracks my speed and actual distance gone. I just started using it but my walk is about 3-4 mph while my "run" is about 5-7 mph. I feel like I am dying at the higher range but I adjust as needed. I just started out a few weeks ago so my endurance and speed will increase over time as will yours!

As for the water situation, I have been told by numerous people to never run without water. I used to and my throat would become so sore because the drainage that would occur and nothing to keep my mouth moist. I would get fatigued because of thirst. I started running (water bottle in hand) and it made one hell of a difference. It does suck as a PP said about the balance but it was only at first. I was able to adjust and get used to it. The sound of the water sloshing back and forth actually helps with my pace. I have heard of the camel back thing. I have never used it but the concept is pretty fascinating. I just dont think having something strapped to my back would be comfortable running. But who knows, it could be another one of those things you get used to :)