W6 D1 knee pain

Options
I finished it today but the knee pain was not something I have experienced, til now. I haven`t done anything differently same shoes which I got fitted for at The Running Room. I have taken a break for a few days from running as I was to busy to get much exercise in. I am wondering if it could be the road I am running on, It has a slight lean to the outside and of course If i run against traffic that is the leg always on the outside.

Replies

• mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to diagnose your knee pain here. Some things to think about are 1) your shoes, 2) your form, and 3) your running surface. I'm assuming your shoes are good. Is your form good? Running on a road could be the culprit. Concrete is the worst surface to run on.

Short term treatment includes icing your knee, OTC anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen, and rest. If the pain doesn't go away after a day or two, you might need to get a doctor's advice.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to go faster? Sometimes this has the result of kicking out your legs so you heel strike more.
  • Shim2013
    Shim2013 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was just looking for tips. I am running on concrete and it is sloped to the outside. I figured that might be what was happening. I tried running the same side back and forth and that seemed to even out the knee pain.I think my form is good but then I can't see myself run and am just a beginner runner so wouldn't know. I have joined a yoga and running class so that might help with the questions I have. Thank you for the input.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25k and am having knee pain too. I don't think this is my problem but in my Googling, I came across reference to a sloped surface being the cause of Iliotibial Band Syndrome.

This article suggests rest, ice, anti-inflammatory painkillers and cross-training by doing something like swimming while you recover.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/itbs-iliotibial-band-syndrome

I hope your knees feel better soon.