This is why...

Options
nicsflyingcircus
nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
I don't normally eat breakfast. I did, and now I am starving. Normally if I skip it, I can make it to 1 or 2 easy without being over hungry. I ate breakfast at 9am and now my belly is howling like a rabid wolf at 2:30pm, and I am in the car with nothing to eat.

And breakfast was 550 calories of cheesy eggs, sausage and coffee with a little half and half.

Replies

• suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Me too! When my work friends ask how I don't get hangry from fasting, I explain I only get hangry if I have breakfast. I'm convinced it's insulin resistance.

I hope you make it ok! :)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm same. I can easily wait eating until 6-8 pm without eating and no hunger. But once I start to eat...there's no stopping me. Is why I need rules like eating window etc.

@suesuarez. I think hunger/satiety has more to do with leptin and ghrelin. But I might be wrong :)
  • suesuarez
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    @suesuarez. I think hunger/satiety has more to do with leptin and ghrelin. But I might be wrong :)
    @Foamroller Yes, they are the hormones that control satiety and hunger. Some argue (Dr. Robert Lustig) that insulin is an inhibitor of leptin. Dr. Fung argues that we don't know if that is true or not yet, but that there is a causal relationship between insulin and obesity whatever the mechanism (The Obesity Code, 87-88).

So much is out there! Honestly, I just go with what works for me. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Me too. Bedtime is what usually stops my eating so I try not to start until noon or later.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I wake up hangry. ;) Once I have my breakfast and coffee, I'm good.
    Though I do find if I eat a really big breakfast (like over 400 calories or so) I end up getting hungry later in the day and blowing through my calories a lot faster and then being hungry in the evening.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I used to have a bagel breakfast sandwich and coffee on my way to work every day. It's a 30 minute drive, and I'm not exaggerating when I say by the time I got there I was hungry for another one. They are nearly 500 calories, how on earth could I be hungry for two within thirty minutes? If I don't eat anything and just coffee with heavy cream I'm good for hours.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For years I ate a good bacon and egg breakfast at 5am when I got up for work. I was always starving by 11.
    Now I do IF from 8pm until 11am lunch. ( Losing weight) I find I am not hungry at 5, but still starving by 11.
    Since I'm losing a tiny bit of weight I'll keep it up.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I used to have a bagel breakfast sandwich and coffee on my way to work every day. It's a 30 minute drive, and I'm not exaggerating when I say by the time I got there I was hungry for another one. They are nearly 500 calories, how on earth could I be hungry for two within thirty minutes? If I don't eat anything and just coffee with heavy cream I'm good for hours.

That really makes no sense (or didn't before we stumbled into LCHF!).
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

That really makes no sense (or didn't before we stumbled into LCHF!).

I know it absolutely made no sense to me at the time.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    suesuarez wrote: »
    @Foamroller Yes, they are the hormones that control satiety and hunger. Some argue (Dr. Robert Lustig) that insulin is an inhibitor of leptin. Dr. Fung argues that we don't know if that is true or not yet, but that there is a causal relationship between insulin and obesity whatever the mechanism (The Obesity Code, 87-88).
    From feeling like she could wait a couple hours to eat to starving within a max of 5 minutes upon injecting insulin... There's something to that and no study that would ever suggest otherwise will ever convince me.
    It's this observation that makes me feel like I understand the similar effect of high insulin in Type 2 diabetics and their constant, real hunger and the unavoidable overeating that happens. I think it's a real shame that the basic advice is to just eat less. There is clearly a very real, insatiable feeling of hunger involved. How do people expect anyone to be able to constantly ignore real hunger?

FYI - My appetite-aware endocrinologist ordered a leptin level check (along with fasting insulin and a fasting hydrogen breath test with glucose).

Insurance Coverage - According to my insurance carrier, the leptin test IS covered, provided the order is coupled with the correct ICD-10 diabetes diagnosis code.

There are only a few labs that run leptin tests, so the results can take 5+ days.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

@auntstephie321 - This makes perfect sense to me, knowing your level of insulin resistance. A bagel is one of the worst breads you can eat - instant sugar spikes, starting the lovely insulin resistance game of hide and seek crap... Because you'd get a quick spike, especially with coffee, even without sugar, would plow through the blood sugar leaving you on the precipice for drastic lows...and wonky insulin levels, storing most of the first bagel - and still "starving for more."

I don't normally eat breakfast. I did, and now I am starving. Normally if I skip it, I can make it to 1 or 2 easy without being over hungry. I ate breakfast at 9am and now my belly is howling like a rabid wolf at 2:30pm, and I am in the car with nothing to eat.

And breakfast was 550 calories of cheesy eggs, sausage and coffee with a little half and half.

@nicsflyingcircus - I always find this fascinating. I used to wake up starving when I was HC eating...like every morning, I might even wake up to eat and go back to sleep. Nowadays, I take my thyroid meds between 4-5 am, but I don't generally eat until I'm at work, which is 6:45 am - 8:30 am, depending on hunger. I find that if I eat a huge breakfast and don't push through the first hunger wave with water fasting, I will eat more all day long. But if I push it out with water even 20-30 minutes, it generally doesn't attack me the same way. Though, I find that if I include any more than 5-7 grams of carbs in the morning - depending on what - I could probably each cups of broccoli and be okay - I end up getting hungry more readily and tipping over into to hangry territory more so. But I also find that when I've had a carby day, the next 3 or so can be harder on my hangry response until I get back to more adapted...though not always true...
  • suesuarez
    edited May 2016
    Options

When I was in my 20s I could eat 1/2 a bagel with butter for breakfast with a light and sweet coffee at 8 the other half at lunch and be totally set until drinks at happy hour.

Now with my broken metabolism I could eat a whole bag of bagels. With cream cheese. Actually, I remember one time when I was 30 my DH was away for a couple of days I ate a whole pizza in one sitting. One whole pizza. I was probably still hungry. ;P

• auntstephie321
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss lol yeah it makes total sense now. That's why I try to avoid them at all cost cuz it will spiral me into an eating binge.

@suesuarez I used to keep a bag of bagels and peanut butter in my desk, and have that each morning, I was trying to lose weight then so they were diet bagels and diet peanut butter. I could eat the whole bag and not understand why I was so hungry. And then eat lunch an hour later.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    suesuarez wrote: »
    From feeling like she could wait a couple hours to eat to starving within a max of 5 minutes upon injecting insulin... There's something to that and no study that would ever suggest otherwise will ever convince me.
    It's this observation that makes me feel like I understand the similar effect of high insulin in Type 2 diabetics and their constant, real hunger and the unavoidable overeating that happens. I think it's a real shame that the basic advice is to just eat less. There is clearly a very real, insatiable feeling of hunger involved. How do people expect anyone to be able to constantly ignore real hunger?

FYI - My appetite-aware endocrinologist ordered a leptin level check (along with fasting insulin and a fasting hydrogen breath test with glucose).

Insurance Coverage - According to my insurance carrier, the leptin test IS covered, provided the order is coupled with the correct ICD-10 diabetes diagnosis code.

There are only a few labs that run leptin tests, so the results can take 5+ days.

I really don't suspect a leptin issue. Since she's gone Keto and reduced her insulin needs from 120+ units a day of fast acting and another 50 of long acting down to only about 35-40 of fast acting delivered by insulin pump, she doesn't have this problem anymore. She only eats one meal a day and has a snack midday. She said she's just not hungry at all. She's had an unopened pack of starburst in her purse since early February for emergency low correction because she's not had any lows and her A1c is now 7. And probably still going down! I'm so happy about it all! Can't tell huh?!?! Lol

Wow! >Pinches self< That's amazing!