What is the best sweetener for keto

Options
2»

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    These posts are interesting, I've never tried to cook or bake anything using any artificial sweeteners. It is just so easy to enjoy this WOE without doing anything other than greens, protein and my own version of Bulletproof.
    If I do want a sweet version of decaf tea or coffee, I'll add liquid stevia. I am also not eating any kind of coconut or fish.
    So far, don't miss pasta, rice, potatoes , bread ........can this last for years, hoping it can.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Before going all the way with stevia I'd have a look at the ingredients list in that stevia product. And even then, manufacturers don't have to list ingredients less than 0.5g per serving size. When dealing with chemicals and very small serving sizes, 0.5g can be a lot. So, sure, it looks like stevia leaves are harmless but is that what we are being sold?

http://janeshealthykitchen.com/the-toxic-truth-stevia/

marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-may-leave-you-absolutely-gutted/#axzz48L409tGu

::flowerforyou::
  • Alpine_Dad
    Alpine_Dad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Before going all the way with stevia I'd have a look at the ingredients list in that stevia product. And even then, manufacturers don't have to list ingredients less than 0.5g per serving size. When dealing with chemicals and very small serving sizes, 0.5g can be a lot. So, sure, it looks like stevia leaves are harmless but is that what we are being sold?
    Health Canada studied this product and came to this conclusion:
    Health Canada has completed a safety assessment of all relevant information, including information provided in support of the proposed use of steviol glycosides as described in three food additive submissions, and determined that there are no health or safety concerns associated with the use of steviol glycosides in the prescribed applications.
    This assessment agreed with the same conclusions reached by the European Union, The FDA of the USA, Australia, and New Zealand, and has been used in Japan since 1970. I will go with the science argument and continue to use Stevia.

Cheers
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Alpine_Dad wrote: »
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Health Canada studied this product and came to this conclusion:
    Health Canada has completed a safety assessment of all relevant information, including information provided in support of the proposed use of steviol glycosides as described in three food additive submissions, and determined that there are no health or safety concerns associated with the use of steviol glycosides in the prescribed applications.
    This assessment agreed with the same conclusions reached by the European Union, The FDA of the USA, Australia, and New Zealand, and has been used in Japan since 1970. I will go with the science argument and continue to use Stevia.

Cheers

Plenty of people use stevia so if you like it sure, why not use it.

My point was only that there are many formulas, many extraction patented processes, and many different products all using the name "stevia". Most of these are heavily processed and very far from the original plant leaves.

As for government endorsed science, well, you'll excuse me if I'm skeptical. They don't have exactly a pristine track record regarding food recommendations.

::flowerforyou::