Cholesterol medication

Options
124»

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I can only report my own experience. My triglycerides were 310 at one point. Dropped to 45 in my most recent work. No drugs. Just cutting carbs and exercise. Total cholesterol and LDL/HDL balance is better than it has ever been in my adult life. Never taken any drugs for it.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    I finally Googled "statins" to see what all the fuss was about, and yeah, I want to stop taking them. My numbers are all good right now (HDL: 54, LDL: 46, Tri: 72). Does anyone know how soon I would expect to see a difference, once I stop the meds? And what about withdrawal symptoms? Do any of you have experience with stopping statins?

I take the for a while and then stop because my muscles get sore. I have no side effects other than that. I wonder what your numbers are not taking medicine.

https://medlineplus.gov/magazine/issues/summer12/articles/summer12pg6-7.html
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    The American Medical Association gives doctors a type of "demerit" for patients not being prescribed, and taking, statins when the total is above 180, or elevated ldl or triglycerides (even when the total is normal!)! Medical care has been given over to the insurance companies, and the pharmaceutical companies, and taken out of the doctors hands! I believe some doctors are finally realizing, but don't have a recourse to take it back! Meanwhile their getting demerits when patients try to take their medical care into their own hands! Plus, the drug companies reward them (meals, vacations to "conferences"...) for prescribing their poison! This is why they actually get mad at patients who take themselves off of it! They can't even acknowledge your improvements being off of it because of their ridiculous regulations! Medicine is now a joke in many respects, and I'm an RN! I really need a new profession! My opinions will get me in trouble one day, because I can't not tell my patients about it, when I have time! I'm ready for the day they come to me about it though! :blush:

I tell everyone to educate themselves with the truth! Having knowledge for yourself, in your situation, is very empowering!

My feelings exactly! I have had fits with my own health and my Mom's because we have things that are unusual, rare, and hard to treat. I have a condition that there isn't any 1 protocol to treat, it takes a lot of trial and error. No doctor wants to do that for fear of a law suit. I am still looking for the perfect doctor, but haven't found him/her yet. I feel the same way about the medical profession, and I am a Pharmacist. I wish I could go back to school to be a naturopathic Provider. There are some thing that just don't fit in the perfect box that modern medicine wants them to fit inside. The loser is the patient. I feel for those who don't have the knowledge and savvy to take their health into their own hands like most of us here have done.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Best of success in learning how to prevent premature death in your case. In my case without Rx meds my health and health marks are steadily improving but that may not be the case of others. I have been heavy on fish oil for 20 years now.

@GaleHawkins - I'd love to know what dosage of fish oils you use - i.e. what you consider heavy. I'm working to up mine, and am taking two, in conjunction, and I'm definitely higher than ADA, but I'm not seeing too much reduction in inflammation as of yet in the physical sense, so I'm wondering if that means I need more or of a different type. Thanks in advance!

@KnitOrMiss when I took myself off of Indocin (last Rx med I have taken) in 2004 I bumped my fish oil (generic like from Dollar General, Walgreens, etc. up to about 10 capsules twice a day to help mute the joint pain to a degree. A few years ago I added two capsules of Viva Labs Krill oil twice daily and cut back on the fish oil to 5 capsules twice daily.

Now taking a very high dosage of Poly MVA I have bumped my one capsule of Q-10 daily to two capsules twice daily since some research indicates for Poly MVA to reach abnormal cells (not using the C word because of search engines) in the brain stem and bone marrow the higher levels of Co Enzyme C-10 is required. I try to take the Artemisinin on an empty stomach and often take 5 capsules of the fish oil at the same time as since taking Artemisinin with fish oil is recommended in some of the literature. As I just mentioned the Poly MVA and Artemisinin is a new protocol that I have only been trying for the last two weeks can both cross the blood brain barrier (BBB). While the Poly MVA is engineered to cross the BBB some think the fish oil/other fats helps the Artemisinin cross the BBB better.