What do you eat pre and post workout?

Options
LolaDeeDaisy23
LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
For those that lift or HIIT, do you consume any carbs beforehand? Do you eat more carbs on workout days? For example if you normally eat <20g carbs, do you eat 40g on workout days?

What about post workout? I've read if you consume fats within two hours of working out, it gets stored as fat. Idk if this is "broscience" or if this is true. I'm worried now because I like to drink my bulletproof coffee pre and post workout. (I don't use mct oil, I use coconut oil btw)

Replies

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    For a workout less than 60 minutes I don't add carbs. I do feel less energy when doing that of course. I am in a weight loss cycle now so I deal with lower energy.

If I am going on a long ride and run, I will eat a snickers before riding and hit a couple 100 calorie gel packs before running. That is when I want to go faster and harder. If I don't care about time I may only have the one candy bar and some extra water

HIIT is only 24 minutes for me. Twenty seconds of all out sprint and then 2:40 jog, repeat 8 times

I don't need calories. I need a chair to fall in!
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Sometimes nothing. My workouts are on my lunch hour. Depending on the day I might be IF (or just BPC) until after my workout. But if I need some extra fuel I usually go with nuts within 1.5 before the workout. Typical after meal is my lunch which is high protein, medium fat, green vegs and LC.
    I've never heard about the "2 hour" rule you mentioned. So I can't say if it is true or not. Either way I've lost my weight and I'm toning up now.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this. I usually train early morning. I eat nothing before or just a black coffee. After, I either eat breakfast (eggs + BPC) or, if not hungry, I'll wait until lunch around 2pm.

My nutritionist told me to eat carbs (oats + 1/2 banana) before and carbs + protein after (lean meats + brown rice and a salad). I'm ignoring all her other advice so I saw no reason to follow this one.

I'm diabetic so I know it's slightly inadvisable to train in a fasted state but my numbers are stellar and I check them before, halfway and after (and the trainer knows to give me an orange juice if I unexpectedly keel over). I'm very weak so even though it feels like I'm doing a big effort in fact I'm lifting ridiculously light weights so maybe I'll need to eat when I progress and demand more of my muscles. For the moment it makes sense to me that any energy demand be made from my plentiful stores.

::flowerforyou::