Daily Reflections

Kerryatoon
Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
5/10 FREE AT LAST

Another great dividend we may expect from confiding our defects to another human being is humility – a word often misunderstood. . . . it amounts to a clear recognition of what and who we really are, followed by a sincere attempt to become what we could be.
— TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 58

I knew deep inside that if I were ever to be joyous, happy and free, I had to share my past life with some other individual. The joy and relief I experienced after doing so were beyond description. Almost immediately after taking the Fifth Step, I felt free from the bondage of self and the bondage of alcohol. That freedom remains after 36 years, a day at a time. I found that God could do for me what I couldn't do for myself.
From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

I still find that secrets make me sick.. That first 5th step was the release of a lifetime of secrets.. and what I learned about myself by sharing that with another alcoholic set me free. That's why I have a sponsor and a trusted closed-mouth friend in the program that I can tell EVERYTHING. I tell them whenever something comes up that I know could be dangerous to keep to myself. I learn how to trust, I learn how to move out of the problem and into the solution, I learn how to turn toward a loving Higher Power of my own understanding, I learn how to listen and be a trustworthy friend, and I learn how to love another alcoholic.