"Deloading"

Options
CarlKRobbo
CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
So, does anyone deload on programs? I had 4 months out the gym, so eased back in, about 10 weeks in, feeling fine, but planning a deload on my program..

In basic terms, i do Squat\Bench\Deadlift\Shoulders (Rehab work in here as well), and a "Weak lift\Bodybuilding day" - That changes according to the week.
6 weeks 5x3 on the main lift, 5x10 volume main lift before accessory work - I do NOT increase weight until I am "bouncing" reps (Just clean, good form\bar path\speed). I did 8 weeks on this as it's my return after 4 months..
2 weeks 3x3, this is now, i go a touch crazy, same rules on increasing, but reps are hard work. Might up this to 3 weeks?
Then "Deload" this i suck at, i've never been able to run this.. I just end up playing.. so I'll stick 60% max on and start busting out 20 reps.... 4/5 sets later, I'm down to 6-8 reps... Pretty sure that's NOT a deload..

Anyone got any advice for an actual deload, or, as i take things a lot more sensibly, and am not broke, is it not worth it?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I deload roughly every fourth week.
    I think once for 4 to 6 weeks is a good number to shoot for for the majority of people.

In your specific case I would ultimately ask whether or not you feel banged up, and whether or not you're making progress at a satisfactory rate.

If someone literally never needs to deload then a reasonable question would be whether or not they are training at a high enough volume.

As far as how to do it, you could leave the same weight on the barbell and reduce total number of sets by 50%. This works for many people, but I tend to get my joints barking at me when I go too heavy for too long and so for me I will typically do half of the week at a much lower percent RM to give my joints a break
  • SideSteel
    Options
    On principle, fatigue should accumulate over the course of the training cycle.

The goal of a deload is similar to a taper in that you are trying to preserve fitness while dropping fatigue.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ^ that was more for other readers who may be reading this and wondering
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's Not a deload. A week at 60% 5x5 (or less), 2 sessions would be a deload for me. I do what Patrick says, every 4-6 weeks take significant weight off the bar. Every 3-4 months I take a complete week off too. I'm 43, trying to powerlift, my joints look forward to the deload.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Sorry for late reply....

SS - I agree to listening to the body in a lot of ways, after reading that i'd decided that was the way to go...

Benjamin - Yeah... i hate deloads, but they do come in handy now and then. Especially powerlifting, when the heavy weights come round, that week off\easy week comes in handy...

Unfortunately, my body made the call for me at the weekend, went shopping and "Twisted" my knee (Sore\swelling around knee, ONLY when moving, and changing direction.. 3 days RICE has sorted that), so i've ended up not training at all so far this week, might call the rest of the week off.

I think going forward, I'll not plan it as frequently. One thing i am very good at is listening to my body, so if something is sore, i'll move days around, or drop the weight i'm doing, so i tend to look atfer myself a fair bit (Says the guy who wrote MOBILITY WORK DAILY on his program, and is still to get assessed, 10 weeks into training...)...

I'll drop the sets, and % next time round