A Place to Post Dropped Times

Options
ElBence
ElBence Posts: 291 Member
A few threads back, somebody asked about speed and distance goals. I thought it was kind of cool, and so I posted my goals. This is kind of a follow up thread for posting dropped times. Rules of the thread:

1) Post your current speed goals.
2) Post your current times.
3) Come back and re-post any dropped times.

I'll go first. Previously I had stated that my speed goals included:

50 free in < 00:25 (at time of original posting 00:29)
500 free in < 6:00 (at time of original posting 6:30)
1800 free (one mile) in < 20:00 (at time of original posting 25:00)

Current times are:

50 free 00:27
500 free 06:30
1800 free 25:00

I realize my last goal is a bit unrealistic as it means I would have to average about a 33 second lap for a mile, but I once got it down to a 36 second lap average at 21.6 minutes; so shaving that three seconds per lap, while extremely difficult, might be achievable.

Replies

• matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those 'cheaters' that calls 1750 a mile.

My goal is to be under 30 minutes for a 1750.

In January I was at 41 minutes for a 1750. Tonight I did 34:33 for the mile and a total of 44 laps in 43:25. This is the first time I've been able to hold a sub minute lap time for the whole swim.
  • ElBence
    Options
    I'm one of those 'cheaters' that calls 1750 a mile.

My goal is to be under 30 minutes for a 1750.

In January I was at 41 minutes for a 1750. Tonight I did 34:33 for the mile and a total of 44 laps in 43:25. This is the first time I've been able to hold a sub minute lap time for the whole swim.

Yes, you are a cheater. One mile is 5280 feet. There are three feet in a yard. There are 1760 yards in a mile. Hit the wall at 1750, swim roughly half the length of the pool, and stop. Then look at your time. I'll bet you can get that in 34:33.
  • ElBence
    Options
    A few threads back, somebody asked about speed and distance goals. I thought it was kind of cool, and so I posted my goals. This is kind of a follow up thread for posting dropped times. Rules of the thread:

Current times are:

I realize my last goal is a bit unrealistic as it means I would have to average about a 33 second lap for a mile, but I once got it down to a 36 second lap average at 21.6 minutes; so shaving that three seconds per lap, while extremely difficult, might be achievable.

500 free in 6:10 today. Everything else is the same.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    1) 1500m - want to get under 25 minutes
    2) 1500m - 26:22

1) 100m - want to get under 1:20
    2) 100m - 1:22
  • ElBence
    Options
    1) 1500m - want to get under 25 minutes
    2) 1500m - 26:22

1) 100m - want to get under 1:20
    2) 100m - 1:22

You're really close. I'll bet you can get under 24:00 and 1:10, respectively.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You're really close. I'll bet you can get under 24:00 and 1:10, respectively.

1 set of goals at a time :wink:

But yes, faster, higher, stronger, those would be my goals for some time in the futeure :devil:
  • ElBence
    Options

Current times are:

1800 dropped by 35 seconds. Currently at 24:25.
    500 free dropped to 6:14
    50 free still at 00:27
  • ElBence
    Options
    [/quote]

1800 dropped by 35 seconds. Currently at 24:25.
    500 free dropped to 6:14
    50 free still at 00:27
    [/quote]

500 free dropped to 5:50 today. I did a HIIT set alternating between 100 yards all out and 100 yards at 50%. The first, third and fifth 100s were the all outs.

New 500 goal is under 5:30.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My next goal is to get my mile down to 30 minutes within the next year.
    Started a regular schedule in Feb, had # of laps wrong (too low) and it was 56 min.
    I just achieved my first major goal of a 45 minute mile on Wednesday!

I realize these times are ridiculously slow but I was rather close to 400 lbs when I started. Just getting to the 200s had me doing a jig. I WILL get the mile down to 30:00 by this time next year.
  • ElBence
    Options
    I realize these times are ridiculously slow but I was rather close to 400 lbs when I started. Just getting to the 200s had me doing a jig. I WILL get the mile down to 30:00 by this time next year.

Don't worry about how fast/slow you are. Everybody is slow compared to somebody... except Michael Phelps.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'm a real beginner... I started swimming for exercise this summer. I really do it mainly for the calorie burn so I can eat a little more :-). I have an in-ground salt water pool in my backyard so I started just paddling around back and forth - not really much of a stroke, but more than treading water, so I logged it as "swimming, leisurely". I was very excited to see the calorie burn, but thought it was not very accurate, so I'd only eat about half my calories back. I started out with 30 minutes, but would sometimes go up to 45 minutes. After a few weeks, I began trying to freestyle, but I'd get winded pretty easily so I'd do kind of a modified breast stroke for several times back & forth, then throw a freestyle leg in once in a while.

Last week we went on vacation & there was a 25yd pool... I swam every day for 30-45 minutes and by the end of the week I was able to swim freestyle across the pool about every 3rd or 4th time across, doing breast stroke the rest of the time. I found that I really enjoyed swimming in a bigger pool, plus I loved the challenge of trying to increase my endurance. When I got home from vacation, I joined my local gym just so I could swim in their pool (bonus it's a salt water pool). After only a week I have progressed to alternating breast stroke and freestyle every leg. I'm very please with my progress so far & my next goal is to swim a whole lap freestyle.

I hope to be able to post my progress here again soon... any suggestions/advice would be very appreciated!
  • ElBence
    Options
    I hope to be able to post my progress here again soon... any suggestions/advice would be very appreciated!

Suggestions:

1) Watch some how to videos online. They can teach you how to properly execute all the strokes. Form is everything in swimming. It's what helps you build endurance. It's what makes you fast. It's what prevents repetitive use stress injuries. Form is everything. I would suggest doing lots of research and trying out different techniques to find what works best for you.

2) Set distance/speed goals. It will give you something to work toward.

3) Check your area for adult lessons to get some objective feedback on your technique.

4) After you've got your stroke down, go to swimplan.com and sign up for a free account. You can get personalized workouts based on your goals and ability.

5) Before you do any of the others, it's a good idea to learn basic swim etiquette, and you might consider learning some more locally applicable rules. This link is a good place to start. Google can also be helpful. http://www.reddit.com/r/Swimming/comments/mrw88/mainset_of_the_week_actually_its_probably
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

ETA:
    I'm so lucky that the pool at my gym is seldom used - or at least is not very crowded when I go, other than an aqua aerobics class some days. Most of the rules are common sense, if everyone is considerate... One time it was busy & I offered to share a lane with someone waiting & they chose to wait (it was an older man swimming backstroke). Thanks again - I may print the rules & submit a copy to my gym management...
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    500: 9:35. Was a little over 11 min at the start of the year and cracked 10 min for the first time in June.
  • ElBence
    Options
    I haven't dropped any times, but today I sprinted 4X50 with a minute rest between each. Here are my splits: 00:27, 00:30, 00:31, 00:33. Those were off the wall. If I could have had a start from the blocks, I might have had all four in under 00:30.
  • ElBence
    Options
    50 free in 00:26. One more second dropped and I'm there.
  • ElBence
    Options
  • ElBence
    Options
    First 1800 today was five seconds slower than my best. I did another half mile, and then swam 500 free in 5:40, a new best.

To recap:

1800 Free - 24:25
    500 Free - 5:40
    50 Free - 00:26
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If I leave the butterfly out of my medleys I'm pushing 4 X 300 m medleys in 40 mins (so, I'm hitting 300 m in 10 min - a little slower than my best, but I'd gotten out of the habit of swimming for a couple of months. ::Grins wryly:: Oops!)

On the "endurance" side - I'm definitely pushing 400 m in 10 minutes. Want to make it 500 m in 10, but haven't quite gotten back in the habit of good form for the back stroke and freestyle.

Actually managing 1.5 legs of a 50 m lap in butterfly before I have to stop and pant. Want to get a full 50 straight through, so I can get a reasonable time. For some reason THAT form has fallen apart recently. Must be going through a mental reset on everything, because my swims have been mediocre at best, lousy at worst.
  • ElBence
    Options
    1800 Free - 24:00

I'm adding a dropped time for my regular 2 mile swim. When I started in May, I swam 2 miles in 75 minutes. Today I swam 2 miles, including my 24 min mile, in 57:15. Caveat: my 2 mile swim is not straight through. The first mile is straight, and the second mile is broken down in sets.