induction after a "cheat meal"?

Options
joyfullee
joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
I didnt intend to cheat. I have been steadfast keto lchf since February and lost 20 lbs. We were invited to a surprise bday party last night and I didnt know the hosts and I couldn't control the food served. I also wasnt able to eat before going so I could get through the party without eating. I also would have offended the host had I not eaten something. So for the first time since starting, I cheated. Im sure my excuses seem lame, but its different when you are there! My question is....do I need to go through induction after a cheat meal?

Replies

• LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    In my experience you don't NEED to. Do you have a hard time going back to your normal way of eating after a slip up? If you do, I would start back at induction. Slip ups are not the end of the world you can come back. :smile:
  • joyfullee
    joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. If you were keto prior to this meal, then why does there need to be an induction?

You were kicked out of ketosis, sure but if you resume keto right away, you will be back in a few days.

Eat keto and watch your electrolytes. You should be back on track soon enough.

I went to LA and went off track for four days. Gained six pounds - to get back into the groove, I started back on less than 25g net carbs the day after I returned and have stayed at that for the past four days. It's definitely doable.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what induction consists of. But I have slip ups all the time and after it takes a couple days of eating lie carb to deplete glycogen stores again and be back burning ketones.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm also not familiar with "induction" (is that an Atkins thing?) but I agree I'd just get back on track. Maybe go a little extra low carb for a day or two. And I don't think your excuses sound lame; life happens, it's your body and your choices, and you did the best you could in the situation. I've been caught in a similar situation a time or two and while I had some bloat the next day or two, it was doable to get back on track pretty quickly. The only problem is if a cheat meal turns into a cheat week and so on. ;)
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a cheat meal, stopping killing yourself, you made a choice, that's fine, now your next choice is 1) go steady and just get back to normal or 2) get on a bicycle and ride for 6 hours that will pop you back into Ketosis. I suggest you do No.2 then next time you have a similar choice to make you'll think about the pain of cycling for 6 hours.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    No such thing as a cheat meal, stopping killing yourself...

+1 Advice
    -1 Philosophy & psychiatry
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I find that after I've eaten too many carbs, it's helpful to keep things super low carb and simple for a couple of days, just for the sake of kicking the cravings and helping myself refocus and to avoid one decision to eat carbs turning into a weeklong carb binge. But as far as doing a formalised "induction" that follows a diet plan, I'm just not that kinda gal, but if that helps you with your food choices, I totally get it.