What are your swimming goals?

Options
buniphuphu
buniphuphu Posts: 287 Member
What are you trying to achieve in your swimming?

Replies

• buniphuphu
    Options
    Right now, I am swimming half a mile a day. I'm ridiculously slow: it takes me 35 minutes to do 16 laps. My first goal is to get it down to 32 minutes. That would make it 1 minute per length of the pool.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My first goal is simply to make it a habit. The first time I tried getting back into it, I was so disappointed about how hard it was, considering I used to swim competitively. When I was still struggling after a week to get through a 100, I gave up in frustration. I loved swimming but I couldn't handle that for the first time, it was hard. I've learned to accept this though, and accept that it will take time before I'm anywhere near where I used to be. Now I'm looking forward to enjoying it again. If I focus on enjoying it, the strength and endurance will build over time.

So my first goal is to swim at least 3 days a week, for 30 minutes each time, and also to check in on the "Did you swim today" thread every day whether I swim or not- to keep me accountable.
  • buniphuphu
    Options
    That's a great goal! I'm making progress towards my goal. I shaved a little time off of my half mile today. Steady practice!
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Nice! Are you swimming in 50-yard lanes or 25-yard lanes? Just curious since the turns can make a difference too.

(It feels so good talking about swimming! I've missed it even more than I realized!)
  • buniphuphu
    Options
    I swim 25 meter lanes.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Nice! That's what the pool I will be using has too. Hoping I can find a time that I don't have to split lanes with anyone unless it's my husband (and hoping I can convince him to come along!) I like flip-turns because it prevents me from stopping but I don't want to run into strangers, lol!
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Had twenty year gap in my swimming due to health problems and reacting to chlorine.
    Now my aims are to mainly sort out technique. Extend the amount of freestyle I do, get out of breath at 8-10 lengths and at the moment I'm learning butterfly. Would also like to manage a mile under 40 minutes. (I'm at around 47 to 50 at the moment).
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome! (I love your profile pic, btw- he/she is adorable!)
  • playmadcats
    Options
    Blue who is sadly departed was a girl. This was one of the few decent pics of her. She's much missed even though we have two other girls and three elderly boys.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just started swimming again about 5 weeks ago :D

My first goal was to swim a kilometer, which I did this past Thursday! It took about 50-55mins. My next goal is to reduce the time it takes to get through the 40 lengths, not so much by increasing speed (yet), but reducing breaks. After that I plan on developing workout plans.

Ongoing goals are improving technique for each stroke.
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a pool in my yard, which I am super lucky to have. But that also means that the length isn't the normal pool length, it's quite a bit shorter.

So, I started out doing 100 lengths in it (about 25-30 minutes) and I want to get up to 200 or 250 by the time I move out in September.
  • buniphuphu
    Options
    We have a pool in our backyard, too, but we haven't opened it yet. Ours is kidney shaped, and I was going to get out a tape measure to see how far the longest straight shot is so I can figure out how far I'm swimming on the days I don't hit the gym pool.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Just took my first swimming lesson after taking lessons over ten years ago and never really learning how to swim well. My goals are to breathe while swimming and maybe tread water. I've been given two business cards that will give me access to the fitness center to practice before our next lesson (not yet scheduled) so I hope to get in there and practice all the things I've been shown. Wish me luck!!! :)
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Just took my first swimming lesson after taking lessons over ten years ago and never really learning how to swim well. My goals are to breathe while swimming and maybe tread water. I've been given two business cards that will give me access to the fitness center to practice before our next lesson (not yet scheduled) so I hope to get in there and practice all the things I've been shown. Wish me luck!!! :)

You'll do great!! Have fun!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! :)
  • buniphuphu
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Good luck with your lessons! I've been thinking about taking some for stroke improvement.
  • playmadcats
    Options
    Am also taking lessons. Tbh was real pain to set up as loads for non swimmers and beginners, several triathlon and racing coaching squads but little in between.
    However is great fun. Plus really helps. Only have to watch the pool for a while and it's sad so many people have really poor technique.

New aims are to master butterfly, breathing on 5th stroke instead of third for crawl. Still working on the 40min mile, though think that will come when crawl gets better.
  • buniphuphu
    Options
    Great goals! I'm no where close to being able to do a mile in 40. I'm doing well to keep it under an hour, and I've only done that once.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'd like to master the alternate breathing, 3rd stroke or 5th. At the moment I can do it on the 3rd for a few laps but, every 4th is 'easier' so I fall back into that without really noticing.

No real aims apart from continuing to get faster. Am trying a lap style where you go all out for half the length (25m pool_ then ease to 'normal' for the last half, then back up again fast, then normal. I do that for 10 laps (250m) and fastest time so far is 4mins13, which I am okay with! :smiley:
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can do back strokes easily without stopping for few laps. However I have hard time and easily get tired with the front stroke when I keep my face down in water. I stop few times, even in one lap. I am planning to register for a sprint triathlon and I am scared as hell for open water swim.