Keto adjunct to Chemo & Radiation

Options
V_Keto_V
V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
Link with video (needs login/member status):
medscape.com/viewarticle/862871
Just a nice short article showing benefit of ketosis as an adjunct/complement to chemo/radiation; this is not a cure but an aid in achieving remission (huge difference often misused).

"Could Diet Improve Outcomes in Glioblastoma?"

Alan R. Jacobs, MD
"This is the Medscape Neurology Minute. I'm Dr Alan Jacobs.

Researchers from the University of Florida have published a study evaluating a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet in the treatment of glioblastoma brain tumors.[1]

They used human-derived glioblastoma cells in a mouse model. The diet provided just 10% of its calories from carbohydrates and utilized medium-chain triglycerides derived from coconut oil as the main energy source.

The study showed that the modified high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet increased the life expectancy of the mice by 50% compared with the control group, while also reducing tumor progression by a similar amount.

The mechanism of this effect involved both a diminishment of the tumor's energy supply and an alteration of the glioblastoma cellular signaling pathways. Preliminary data have shown that the modified diet appears to make glioblastoma tumors more sensitive to treatment with radiation and chemotherapy. As such, the researchers see the diet as a supplemental therapy to complement chemotherapy and radiation. They plan to test it in other cancers and in clinical trials.

This has been the Medscape Neurology Minute. I'm Dr Alan Jacobs."

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Interesting post! I have many cancer patients I deal with weekly. Some are beginning to talk about cutting sugar, and processed foods from their diets. Yes this is a mouse study, but some benefits can't be denied for humans I am sure. Personally, the skin cancers I've had to keep having removed, over the past few years, have stopped coming up! Something's going on that wasn't, before LCHF!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love to see the research continuing to reveal the benefits of ketosis to slowing cancer growth!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    When I went through my chemo, I was able to eat without nausea. Not everyone is so lucky. Fortunately I was also able to continue doing cardio 3-4 days a week. Still, I gained over 20 lbs due to the steroids. I shudder to think how much more I would have gained had I not been staying active.