The Changing American Diet

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Interesting! Too much data to look at just once, though. LOL
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    is it odd that I was kinda excited when chicken overtook beef in the meat category, I never realized how much I was rooting for chicken before I saw this. thanks wab
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Haha, I like how Italian Cheese has its own little graph <3
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    That is nifty!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    We are so unpopular...what constitutes "cooking oil"?
    Dairy trend: it's all Dean Ornish influence...aka Anti-Atkins
    A bit strange how unpopular turkey is; Omega-3 supplements have probably had a big influence on keeping fish consumption from expanding

Once again, good find wabmester
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Interesting. I would think that the beef consumption is down for two reasons, the demonization of "red meat" and the prices seem to be high. I heard that the federal government is coming down hard on the beef cattlemen with lots of regulations. These added regulations cost the ranchers a lot of money, then passing it on to the consumer.

I was sorry to see whole milk drop from first to 4th. I never buy less than whole, even before low-carb. I couldn't stand the watered down taste of even 2% milk. Can't imagine what 1% tastes like! It would be like, why bother? Just pour water on your cereal!

As much demonization of hydrogenated oils (properly so) like margarine, I can't figure out why it hasn't gone to zero??? Glad to see butter overtake it.

Why is "cooking oil" so much higher lately? I wonder if they are the grain & veggy oils, you know ~ the "healthy" ones? (NOT!)

Dan

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    That was cool. I was surprised that beef got bumped down... and for chicken? I'm not a fan
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That was cool. I was surprised that beef got bumped down... and for chicken? I'm not a fan

Hey....you watch your mouth about chicken ;)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    DittoDan wrote: »
    As much demonization of hydrogenated oils (properly so) like margarine, I can't figure out why it hasn't gone to zero??? Glad to see butter overtake it

Packaged goods, probably
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    Nice to see Avocado consumption climbing, that's one delicious fruit that's full of healthy fats.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2016
    LINIA wrote: »
    Nice to see Avocado consumption climbing, that's one delicious fruit that's full of healthy fats.

I'd never eaten one - not even in guacamole - until about 3 months ago! Now I can't get enough. I'm definitely contributing to the rise of avocado consumption :D

Also this:
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Interesting! Too much data to look at just once, though. LOL
  • PamamaJane
    PamamaJane Posts: 288 Member
    I've never eaten an avocado and no to guacamole. The likelihood of it ever happening for me is somewhere between zero and none. Nor will I touch fried green tomatoes. Nor zucchini. There are a few more I'll not even try but those are the main ones.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    A bit strange how unpopular turkey is; Omega-3 supplements have probably had a big influence on keeping fish consumption from expanding

Once again, good find wabmester

Having turkey for breakfast.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It makes sense, given the lipid hypothesis and the whole "white meat" push though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Phrick wrote: »
    LINIA wrote: »

I'd never eaten one - not even in guacamole - until about 3 months ago! Now I can't get enough. I'm definitely contributing to the rise of avocado consumption :D

Oooh, glad you found them. I've eaten them my whole life. I love them!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    I've never eaten an avocado and no to guacamole. The likelihood of it ever happening for me is somewhere between zero and none. Nor will I touch fried green tomatoes. Nor zucchini. There are a few more I'll not even try but those are the main ones.

Why?

If you haven't tried them, how do you know you don't/won't like them?
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Fried green tomatoes are freaking epic.

Fried green tomatoes are freaking epic.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    But I was so disappointed when traveling in the south. I ordered fried green toms. We eat them just plain, fried (with Montreal Steak spice if you like it!) Yummy! Don't like the breading at all and hard to pull off.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Why?

If you haven't tried them, how do you know you don't/won't like them?

This has a faint hue of chlorophobia....