Insight and opinions please

Options
mongoosealamode
mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
Sorry for the long post.

I started keto March 2015. The first 7-8 months were amazing - I swam every day from June to August and lost a total of 40lbs. Right before thanksgiving I got really sick and, because I couldn't keep anything keto down, after about 4 days I decided I needed some bread. That worked and I *VERY* slowly was able to eat a decent amount of food per day - I still lost another 5lbs in a week and a half just because I couldn't eat much. I decided from that point until mid January I wasn't going to stick keto because of Christmas and my birthday.

After that I went full on back into keto but my gusto for being meticulous was disappearing. I wasn't measuring and weighing everything like before and because of this I was basically in maintenance which was fine.

For maybe 2 months I have been struggling. I am still keto but I'm not strict. Mostly my not so keto foods are carb balance tortillas and larger portions of veggies than before - other than that I eat keto. My problem is that I'm not Super passionate about keto any more and I really REALLY miss some things I used to eat like smoothies and really nice grainy bread.

I am the kind of person that can't really stick to one thing for a long time. I don't know if I just get bored or loose motivation or what. This part of me has always made me feel like a failure at everything... But I also feel like if my heart isn't in it then I will likely fly off the handle.. which I kinda started with eating more than I should

I have been thinking about not being keto but still keeping things out of my diet. I don't really know how well it will work though based on things I would like to keep and bring back.
I know I don't really have a desire to eat things like potatoes, pasta, most bread, processed foods like junk food, anything with added sugar, etc.
I would like to continue to consume veggies, good and fatty meats, hwc, butter, cheese, and BPC(regular is ruined for me)
I would also like to include, in moderation of course, the occasional super grainy seedy bread, fruit, and more veggies like carrots, peas, and sweet potatoes.

Is this reasonable? I usually have a bpc every day. I am afraid that if I eat a little more carbs and sugar, the fats will be too much and I will start gaining more.

Any thoughts, insights, experiences, ideas, etc are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Liz

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Absolutely reasonable. I'm kind of in the same boat, though not going back to all the veggies and such yet. In the diabetes treatment/prevention seminar about a month ago, one of the suggestions was to do 1/4 cup of veggies at breakfast, 1/2 cup or so at lunch, and 3/4 cup at dinner... Sometimes, even full on keto, I'll do a cup or more of broccoli with dinner, so personally, I felt those suggestions fit for the still not as starchy veggies (like no potatoes, corn, etc.)...

I would work to create new macros but still stay under 100 grams of carbs a day... Adjust your protein and fats accordingly. This is still medically considered low carb high fat moderate protein - it's just not low enough for keto. Many folks in this group have had lots of success doing that. @Sabine_Stroehm is one of our group mods here, and she does a slow-carb situation, if I recall correctly.

It's all about balance... I hope you find your good space!

Hugs, Knit
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan to me. Keep us updated on how it goes. I like to eat a bit higher carbs, around 100g as well but my method is not nearly as well planned as yours. I end up using my carbs for things like chocolate, ice cream, and alcohol. I think that naturally if you are eating a bit more carbs the fats would lower a bit, on days I've done well that's what I've noticed. Not recommended. I think your plan sounds well thought out and sustainable. Good luck.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I moved from keto to 100g/day.
    I eat protein and fat for breakfast (eases insulin production into your day. Minimal response in the morning is better.)
    The rest of the day for my carbs, I eat lots of non-starchy veggies and some low-carb dairy, a little higher carb dairy (yogurt) a little nuts, and for supper I have one serving of some kind of bean and a bedtime snack of a piece of fruit (orange, banana, or apple.) I'll have peas instead of beans sometimes or corn if it's fresh. Not a huge amount, just a serving which is usually a half-cup. It's working really well. I'm still LCHF. I don't have crazy cravings. It's good.

I listened to a chick named Elizabeth Benton (primalpotential.com). She has 170ish podcasts, and I listened to a lot of them to formulate how I currently eat. She also has a great take on the mindset aspect of weight loss. And once you can get past her voice, which some might find a little annoying, she's worth listening to.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Absolutely reasonable. I'm kind of in the same boat, though not going back to all the veggies and such yet. In the diabetes treatment/prevention seminar about a month ago, one of the suggestions was to do 1/4 cup of veggies at breakfast, 1/2 cup or so at lunch, and 3/4 cup at dinner... Sometimes, even full on keto, I'll do a cup or more of broccoli with dinner, so personally, I felt those suggestions fit for the still not as starchy veggies (like no potatoes, corn, etc.)...

I would work to create new macros but still stay under 100 grams of carbs a day... Adjust your protein and fats accordingly. This is still medically considered low carb high fat moderate protein - it's just not low enough for keto. Many folks in this group have had lots of success doing that. @Sabine_Stroehm is one of our group mods here, and she does a slow-carb situation, if I recall correctly.

It's all about balance... I hope you find your good space!

Hugs, Knit
    Yup. I eat "slow carb". I have eaten this way for about 14-15 years. Been maintaining that long too. I eat flatout wraps when I have a hankering for bread, and I eat all the plant foods my heart desires (a lot). I also eat legumes fairly regularly.
    I do eat quite a bit of fat, but more often than not it's from fish or avocados.
    My diet most closely resembles a South Beach Style, except I don't eat as much fruits and grains as south beach encourages, and I don't fret the occasional potatoes or corn. (I also moderate that group)

Like you I don't really eat pasta and I eat no heavily processed junk foods.

I do have smoothies, but they are mostly veg (and hemp seeds, and yogurt, and just a bit of berries.

Hope you find what works for you.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi, much sympathy for the struggle. I am not on keto .. i have a few other problems that keto makes worse, as does coffee, but I am quite familiar with it, and did lose weight while in ketosis.

I can can stay focused for 2-3 months usually on any new regime, but when I go off the path- I don't end up in the wrong street, its like I drive through the wrong suburb, out into the country and can end up all the way into some other state:)

I am now a mix of low carb, high fat, clean, paleo. It allows me to listen to my body and its changing needs. I do well with a decent slug of vegies, can manage sweet potato, carrot, and occasionally small amt of peas - just not all of those in one sitting. And i have higher cals some days, less on others.

For me, I love that kind of bread you talk of, tho if I start eating it, I can't stop. so for me I can't indulge. Like you, I no longer crave sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, processed food. Unless I am tired from lack of sleep. I can't help think that finding our way with dropping weight is, as they say, a way of life, and that has to be sustainable.

I'm now accepting that weight loss is not a straight line, and sometimes I might have a few days or a week off track, then a movement back on track. It helps when I go back on track to tighten up, on a slightly altered regime to get me back into gear.

I can't really do sugar, except when I do a lot of exercise I might have an apple. Beyond that, it messes with me.

So I'm not sure I have much advice, but for me, learning to live a sustainable journey is important, I have quite a way to go.