Sugar Intake High..Advice & Feedback

Options
ktilton70130
ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
Okay, I began doing lowcarb this week. I just looked at my intake over the week and my I observed my sugar intake is high or over the required amount that mfp have me on. However my sugars are coming from fruits, do you think this will effect weightloss? Should I decrease fruits and simply consume more veggies? Please advise and feedback welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    What is your carb limit? Those on very low carb (30g net or less) usually go without most fruits. Berries occasionally but those are like treats for me.

But yes, loads of fruit are high in carbs/sugar.

Any veggies grown under ground should be avoided as well.

Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables are good.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Same for me, I have maybe 1 sometimes 2 pieces of fruit in a week. Just unbalances me too much, and stops me losing weight
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I agree with @samanthaluangphixay
    Some folk stick with under 100g and can include fruit n veg. Green leafies, cauli n broccoli are low sugar whereas startchy veg like potatoes or carrots are higher in sugar and best avoided. Raspberries can be a treat that have less sugar than bananas or apples.

Warning fruit yoghurt can range from 4g sugar per 100g serve up to astonishingly high levels. Suggest you check internet to learn which fruit n veg are higher in sugar than others. On products like yoghurt read labels. Warning mfp data is only as good as what we, as users, enter into mfp. Some folk only care about calories and dont bother adding sugar or carb counts into system.

Hope that hepls.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Some folk stick with under 100g and can include fruit n veg. Green leafies, cauli n broccoli are low sugar whereas startchy veg like potatoes or carrots are higher in sugar and best avoided. Raspberries can be a treat that have less sugar than bananas or apples.

Warning fruit yoghurt can range from 4g sugar per 100g serve up to astonishingly high levels. Suggest you check internet to learn which fruit n veg are higher in sugar than others. On products like yoghurt read labels. Warning mfp data is only as good as what we, as users, enter into mfp. Some folk only care about calories and dont bother adding sugar or carb counts into system.

Hope that hepls.

I circumvent that by buying plain yogurt and then adding my own flavorings, usually vanilla extract, stevia, and pureed strawberries or cocoa powder, which cut the sugar down quite a lot compared to store-bought flavored yogurt.
  • Rossergirl
    Rossergirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Baconslave! I LOVE YOUR NAME! Bacon is good with everything!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    As far as low carb is concerned, sugar is sugar is sugar. Fruits contain a fair amount of both fructose, which is thought to contribute to fatty liver, and glucose, which is the sugar that causes blood sugar to go up (and what we generally try to avoid on LCHF). As you answered in your own question, the easiest way to change this is to eat more vegetables and less fruit. A good way of thinking of fruit is "nature's candy," and like all candy, it shouldn't be consumed multiple times a day, every day.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Okay, I began doing lowcarb this week. I just looked at my intake over the week and my I observed my sugar intake is high or over the required amount that mfp have me on. However my sugars are coming from fruits, do you think this will effect weightloss? Should I decrease fruits and simply consume more veggies? Please advise and feedback welcome. Thanks.

It could.
    Calories are king, but excessive sugars can hamper your body's ability to shed fat due to too much insulin. It depends on the person. If you are losing ok as it is leave it, but if you start having trouble, decrease your fruits and eat more non-starchy veggies.

It's going to be a YMMV based on how your body responds to carbs.

This is said not knowing what is in your diary, but it's a good low-carb general guide:
    Base your diet around real food (whole foods). They are naturally nutrient dense. And also tend to have less sugar because none is added.
    I myself limit fruit to one piece a day. And starches to 1 serving a day with supper (beans, peas, or corn.)
    Non-starchy veggies are naturally low in sugar and full of micronutrients. So eat as many of those as you like to.
    Watch sugars in milk and carby nuts like cashews. Processed foods like flavored yogurt and peanut butter can add carbs quick and affect blood sugar (and then insulin) that way. Unless you do like I do and doctor plain yogurt to my taste and choose natural, no sugar added peanut butter. Processed things are "sometimes" foods. Okay occasionally but not every day. KWIM? And as some have said, if you should watch those sneaky labels.

Everything is a personal balance. I hope you easily find yours, @ktilton70130. :smile:

• baconslave
    Options
    Rossergirl wrote: »
    Baconslave! I LOVE YOUR NAME! Bacon is good with everything!

Yes.
    Yes it is. :mrgreen:
  • ktilton70130
    Options

Hope that hepls.

right, in regards to the yogurt when I did a review for this week I noticed that the greek yogurt had 7g of sugar, consuming two of those was 14g and that was before consuming anything else. Thank you for feedback.
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    Thank you guys I appreciate the feedback.