The "2000 Calorie" daily goal...

jbbrown4781
jbbrown4781 Posts: 2 Member
I was wondering if it could be possible that whoever came up with the 2000 calorie (adjusted for gender, etc) daily intake guideline be wrong or could it just be an outdated understanding of what we need.
Is it specific to our culture or does ring true across the globe.
I think what we think in America is the right amount of calories is over estimated. Our servings are huge compared to other places. Serving size might be another issue, but I believe it's influenced by the recommended calorie intake guidelines.

Replies

• jbbrown4781
    jbbrown4781 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't suppose I was clear... What I'm saying is, how do we know 2000 calories (or the gender equivalent) isn't way too high? Maybe we should be, as a rule, eating way less than that. Maybe the 2000 calorie rule is why American's have such high obesity rates. Maybe it's cultural, subconscious permission to eat more than we should...
  • Joern
    Joern Posts: 1 Member
    I think you need to use it as a baseline and adjust after a month to suit. It's also important to note you can't treat calories in isolation. No point in limiting yourself to a target if the chosen food is a bad choice.
    I also came across an interesting article recently on normal vs light peanut butter... The light has less calories (fat) but is full of fillers like multi dextrin... Not good for weight loss. No too mention I used to eat twice as much of the light - regular is just more filling and you need less.

• discnjh
    discnjh Posts: 33 Member
    I don't suppose I was clear... What I'm saying is, how do we know 2000 calories (or the gender equivalent) isn't way too high? Maybe we should be, as a rule, eating way less than that. Maybe the 2000 calorie rule is why American's have such high obesity rates. Maybe it's cultural, subconscious permission to eat more than we should...

We "know" (and I put know in quotes because science never knows anything for absolute sure) based on studies that around 2000 is a ballpark-ish average. There's obviously ton's of variation based off of height, physical activity, gender, etc.

2000 calories isn't a rule, or even a blanket recommendation, so far as I've ever seen. Its used as a standard on nutritional labels, and I imagine that's because you need to have some calorie basis in order to then represent what percentage of a recommended diet the nutrients make up. If you have to have some basis, it perhaps makes sense to use the average of what people should need. Choosing that average as a basis shouldn't be interpreted as a mandate for any individual - but I understand your point that some may interpret it as such.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    From what I've read, 2000 cal is too much for the average fairly sedentary person. I think the other thing that happens is that people generally eat a fair amount of processed food that is fat and sugar rich, and underestimate their calorie intake. Right now I'm using this app and tracking my food. I am eating around 1500 cal a day, and very slowly losing weight. But I'm also doing a lot of walking.
  • jleeporter
    jleeporter Posts: 6 Member
    The FDA is the only entity touting a 2,000 calorie recommendation. In order to find your BMR and calculate what your individual caloric intake should be, I'd suggest beginning with the article below. Also, you may want to look into finding out your own personal macronutrient goals while you're at it.

bodybuilding.com/fun/calorie-know-how-get-equation-right-to-get-results.htm.
    bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    edited May 2016
    Hi Folks, hope all is well!
    No matter what opinion anyone puts out there, someone is going to poo poo all over it. However I don't think any one person is wrong about their ideals when it comes to dieting but that we're all different and out bodies process what we eat differently. Having said that, here is MY opinion :) My Grand loved pork fat and ate it everyday and he lived till he was 101 :)

Personally, I think 2000 calories is a bit low. I believe in body types and depending on your body type, your caloric intake will differ. If you follow Game of Thrones, I will guarantee the mountain will need a lot more than 2000 calories just to maintain his physique. The Rock eats a shed load of food just to maintain his, and his body fat % is pretty low. To begin with, their metabolism would be quite high because of their muscle mass.

However I do agree with one point you've made. If you sit in front of a computer day in, day out, 2000 calories is probably too much for the average 5' 8" person (referring to myself). I am currently consuming around 1650 calories, a 550 deficit per day as I'm trying to cut fat. However, I wouldn't be able to maintain it for a long period (no more than 12 weeks). My maintenance caloric baseline is around 2100 and i weigh 75kgs. I hit the gym 4 days a week, weight training and LISS type cardio, 4 days a week (hope to increase this to 6 days again once my son's daycare routine changes). I would eventually increase my calories again but I do believe quality of calories and not just 2x bic mac combos per day.

The point I'm trying to make is, work out what works for you. We are all different. Figure out what your average calorie intake is, and go from there. Depending on your goals, you might want to adjust it to gain or lose weight. Definitely incorporate some kind of exercise like LISS. For me, I maintain a heart rate around 120 for at least 45 minutes. If you haven't got time, try HIIT. I personally am not a fan of HIIT as I just hate the feeling of near death. However, I believe it works :)
  • ewalker9
    ewalker9 Posts: 3 Member
    When the 2k cal was developed, we were likely MUCH more active. I'm assuming also based on eating more nutrient foods not just calories.