Who needs therapy when you can swim?

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
The last few trips when I could not swim at all, every time someone mentioned a group activity I could feel the stress building inside. Not a full blown Sopranos panic attack. But definitely an need to escape. I always found a way to get out of the activity without admitting I had a panic attack.
That brings us to today.
I've been swimming 5 to 6 days a week this trip.
Today I was told there is going to be a team outing Friday afternoon. My immediate response was "that sounds fun. "
No tightness in my chest. No sense of anxiety or doom. Just "sounds like fun."
I realized immediately that I had not had that response on any previous trip when I did not have so much swimming time.

I do realize that swim therapy won't work for everyone. But it does for me on both a physical and psychological level.

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Yep, endorphins are the best drug I know of.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I have had this thought so many times since I started swimming...
    I'm not sure it's endorphins for me, or just the meditation that swimming offers me. I used to feel that on my runs when I was in the forest, and when I had to stop doing that 4-5 days a week, it was a real bummer. I'm so glad I stuck with swimming long enough to make progress. I may not be fast. I may not be efficient. My kick is weak as heck. But I still get the benefits of a good swim :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is necessarily such a thing as a cure-all for mood disorders, but I am with you that I do better when I am exercising a lot than when I am not.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I'm a psychologist and I often recommend being in or near water to people. There's good neuroscience behind water. A good book is "Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, or Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What You Do"
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    I'm a psychologist and I often recommend being in or near water to people. There's good neuroscience behind water. A good book is "Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, or Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected, and Better at What You Do"

I'm SO buying that book... I have people who should read it. They just don't get it.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I know that swimming is one key reason I have not gotten depressed despite losing my job thru Ill health....
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Turns out that all the core strengthening that results from Swimming also helps when one is hit by the bronchitis bus.
    My core would be really hurting now if not for all the swimming. Instead, my core just feels tighter, in better condition after a week plus of severe coughing. :dizzy:
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »

Thank you for this recommendation. I have always felt my self drawn to water in some form. I grew up near the beach, lived near lakes and now live right next to a river.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I don't think there is necessarily such a thing as a cure-all for mood disorders, but I am with you that I do better when I am exercising a lot than when I am not.

Depends on the severity. But many studies have found that changing what one eats and improving activity can reduce or eliminate the need for pharmaceutical intervention.
    I know that for myself, swimming plays a key role in my overall health, not just physical health.
    And this last China trip was by far, the least stressful since my first trip. I was in the pool at least 5 days a week this trip.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and mood swings can be bad any exercise helps but swimming rocks!!!

Just this weekend I was really struggling I went for a walk came back still reading to loose it. I hate feeling that way.

I jumped in the pool amd started doing my lengths and with each 20 I did I felt better and better. I was smiling and happy by the time I finished. I'm going to miss my unheated pool in the fall.

I'm not one for meditating but after my laps I do a few minutes of silent float and it helps too.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    I find just counting strokes to be a meditation of sorts.