serving

maggiegbrown
maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
Hey ya'll I have a question when you make something at home and you don't really know how many serving there are, how are you suppose record it in your diary. So for example if you make meatballs completely different from everyone you know. no eggs, milk breadcrumbs. you don't get 12-18 out of a lbs of meat. How do I know what one hamburg cost me? Help!!!!!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I try and use measured weights. So if I'm using a pound of meat, and I know quantities of ingredients I'm adding, then I can add the recipe, then once I've cooked it up, I know how many I made, so I can get a rough guess anyway. That's all calories are anyway, is estimates...
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Yup. Food scale, I look for oz. when entering my foods vs. 1 piece or 1 meatball or 1 serving.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    ok thanks ladies, that helps!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Yep, weigh everything. Also, weigh raw and dry so that water loss/gain doesn't throw off your numbers. And re: stuff like fat left in pan, or whatever, it doesn't really matter if you account for it or now, as long as you pick one way and then stick to it over time. That way you know if you need to adjust calories up or down. Consistency in method is more important than accuracy of method (that is to say, if you're consistent enough, the accuracy errors will cancel out because they'll be inaccurate in an accurate way ;))