Low Carb Diet Symptoms

Options
Kelley0519
Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
Is anyone else experiencing headaches and fatigue more now than you normally would? I've only been back on this diet for 4 days now, but the headaches and tiredness haven't been pleasant to deal with. :s Any suggestions on what could help? thank you! :)

Replies

• Kelley0519
    Options
    Yep! That's your answer. Most people don't know about it. You may have heard of "low carb flu"??? I hate that term, especially since almost everywhere you do actually find info about it makes it seem to be some illness you must suffer through when in actuality it's simple electrolyte imbalance from water loss and 100% preventable and can be pretty much corrected within 15 minutes time.
    Lots of people just push through it unnecessarily and many just give up the diet convinced it made them sick. You'll read opinions from others all day long advising against low carbing because of it. Truth is, they just don't understand how their own body works.

Very helpful, thank you! Do you know any foods that may be high in sodium? I haven't done the Low Carb diet since 2011, so I completely forgot about how things are in the beginning lol
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I drank one diet soda a day. It helped but can cause some to feel hungry.
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »

I can definitely try this. Drinking only water can get boring after awhile. :D
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A quick source of sodium, I buy ramen noodles, keep the flavor packets & toss the noodles...they are so cheap I have no guilt w/ wasting them. I make a cup of hot water & stir the powder into it at work, usually can get about 3-4 cups of broth out of one packet (small foam coffee cups). I typically stir in a tablespoon or so of heavy cream as well with the chicken flavor packets for added fat & it gives it the taste of a cream soup.

There is plenty of sodium in these...you can make it as strong as you like.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kelley0519 wrote: »

I definitely wouldn't add diet soda if you're not already drinking it. And I wouldn't add more if you are already drinking it... This is usually something that becomes a goal to eliminate at some point. A bit counterproductive to introduce it or increase it. Especially because of the negative effects of artificial sweeteners.

Pickles, pickle juice, olives, bacon, pork rinds, salted water, boullion or broth or you can opt to buy sodium chloride tablets if salty foods aren't your thing. It's super easy to just take a couple little tablets a day and not have to think about how to get salt in daily with food.
  • BUZZIEST
    BUZZIEST Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink Perrier sparkling water - or San Pellegrino mineral water with a tsp or two of lemon juice in it, a bit of liquid stevia, and I then put 1/8 tsp of lite salt which supplies over 300mg of potassium. It really tastes refreshing and helps to get more potassium. I drink 2-3 of these a day.
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    A quick source of sodium, I buy ramen noodles, keep the flavor packets & toss the noodles...they are so cheap I have no guilt w/ wasting them. I make a cup of hot water & stir the powder into it at work, usually can get about 3-4 cups of broth out of one packet (small foam coffee cups). I typically stir in a tablespoon or so of heavy cream as well with the chicken flavor packets for added fat & it gives it the taste of a cream soup.

There is plenty of sodium in these...you can make it as strong as you like.

That actually sounds yummy!
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    Kelley0519 wrote: »

I definitely wouldn't add diet soda if you're not already drinking it. And I wouldn't add more if you are already drinking it... This is usually something that becomes a goal to eliminate at some point. A bit counterproductive to introduce it or increase it. Especially because of the negative effects of artificial sweeteners.

Pickles, pickle juice, olives, bacon, pork rinds, salted water, boullion or broth or you can opt to buy sodium chloride tablets if salty foods aren't your thing. It's super easy to just take a couple little tablets a day and not have to think about how to get salt in daily with food.

Awesome...I think I'll try a little bit of all of these. But yes, the sodium tablets are a must get as well.
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    BUZZIEST wrote: »
    I drink Perrier sparkling water - or San Pellegrino mineral water with a tsp or two of lemon juice in it, a bit of liquid stevia, and I then put 1/8 tsp of lite salt which supplies over 300mg of potassium. It really tastes refreshing and helps to get more potassium. I drink 2-3 of these a day.

Thanks for the idea!
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some salt. Pickles, broth, supplements if needed. It's your electrolytes begging for some balance. Salt will help restore it.
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    dtobio wrote: »
    Definitely get some salt. Pickles, broth, supplements if needed. It's your electrolytes begging for some balance. Salt will help restore it.

Thank you!
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a small bowl of coarse sea salt sitting on my kitchen counter. Multiple times a day I'll pass by and grab a few crystals. I love salt - it reminds me of licking my finger and sticking it in the pretzel salt at the bottom of the bag :lol:
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My main symptom is coldness. I keep my electrolytes up easily and am more active than I used to be. I am almost always bone chilled cold, even on a 70 degree plus day.
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    I have a small bowl of coarse sea salt sitting on my kitchen counter. Multiple times a day I'll pass by and grab a few crystals. I love salt - it reminds me of licking my finger and sticking it in the pretzel salt at the bottom of the bag :lol:

Great idea!
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    My main symptom is coldness. I keep my electrolytes up easily and am more active than I used to be. I am almost always bone chilled cold, even on a 70 degree plus day.

I'll get cold chills through out the day... I've thought about adding a workout plan to my diet, but I'm not sure how I would feel. Have you felt any change since you've became more active?
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My solution for when I need extra salt (or a quick snack). One cup, one packet, just add boiling water. :)
    znxyrzhx22vj.png
    There are many brands and varieties, white miso is sweeter and milder, brown or red misos are heartier and more of an acquired taste. I always go for organic because the ingredients of regular miso are full or junk. If you learn how to make the soup at home (very easy) you can buy the paste and that makes it much cheaper than the instant variety.
    https://clearspring.co.uk/collections/traditional-japanese-miso/products/organic-japanese-barley-miso-paste-unpasteurised

::flowerforyou::
  • Kelley0519
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    My solution for when I need extra salt (or a quick snack). One cup, one packet, just add boiling water. :)
    znxyrzhx22vj.png
    There are many brands and varieties, white miso is sweeter and milder, brown or red misos are heartier and more of an acquired taste. I always go for organic because the ingredients of regular miso are full or junk. If you learn how to make the soup at home (very easy) you can buy the paste and that makes it much cheaper than the instant variety.
    https://clearspring.co.uk/collections/traditional-japanese-miso/products/organic-japanese-barley-miso-paste-unpasteurised

::flowerforyou::

Can this typically be found in any grocery store?