Yep, I'm Low Carb/Keto for the long haul (9.5 pounds in 10 days!)

Options
Lo__
Lo__ Posts: 42 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
Hi all!

I'm so glad I found this group! I've been on mfp counting calories since December but I hadn't really made any progress. I was losing and gaining the same five pounds month after month. I bought a food scale, I started measuring and then I came across the keto diet. I did a ton of research a couple weekends ago and officially started keto on Monday May 16th, and it's been great! As of this morning I'm 9.5 pounds down. Granted, a lot of that is water weight (and I do have at least 80+ pounds to lose) but I'll take it!

I hadn't wanted to say it before because it sounded like an excuse but I honestly think my metabolism was resistant to weight loss or sugar or carbs (or something!) before. Something about having gained and lost weight once before either made it harder or maybe I'm just getting older, but calorie counting alone wasn't cutting it. I'm feeling so much healthier now, I'm always satiated, my skin is glowing, I have energy, and the weight is finally coming off. My initial plan had been to just try this for two weeks and see but 10 days in I can already tell I'm in this for the long haul. It just makes sense.

I would love some keto/low carb pals if anyone's looking for some mutual support. I post in the timeline section fairly often and love to support and be supported! It's going to be a summer without ice cream, after all :P

My stats:

29, F, 5'9"
SW: 280
CW: 270.5
GW: 199

My macro goals:
Calories: 1200 - 1500
Carbs 5%
Protein 30%
Fat 65%

Excited to be a part of this community!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! So happy you've found your way to health!
    Feel free to add me. I don't log food anymore but I did for almost a year.
    I'm on month 13 of Keto and committed for life.
    I lost 31 pounds, reduced my ADHD meds, no more IBS, and have better skin and feel amazing!
    I need to lose some more body fat, not necessarily more weight, but I'm super lazy and don't like exercise! Lol
    Welcome to the group!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I, too, learned quickly that this isn't a diet, it's a way of life! I've been Keto now for 15 months, and I'm not looking back! I'm also 5'9", and began my keto journey at 231. My lowest is now 172 (so I think your goal weight is too high! You will get here too, I know it! :smiley: )!

I haven't logged food since last August, but did prior to that, religiously!), but am always open to new friends!

Welcome!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Nice job! Just remember, this is not a diet it is our new way of life. I am never going back!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You can add me as well. I'm still kinda new but logging everything. I lost 8 pounds the first week and was hooked. My friend doing this had said "give it two weeks". Now I'm giving it a lifetime. Total way of life now. I've lost a total of 34 lbs and most has been since going Keto in April.
  • MarciGaf
    MarciGaf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Add me please, I've been back on keto plan for 3 weeks and today I achieved the 10kgs loss mark. Not quite sure what it is in pounds. I did keto back in 2004, lost heaps of weight kept it off for 5 years before work stress and life interfered and I started eating what was available rather than preparing my food. Back on track now, plan to stay here forever. I would love to be in contact with likeminded people to support and be supported plus gain ideas for new recipes etc.
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new journey, I too am new, this Saturday will be the three week mark for me and I've lost over 11 pounds so far, yeah. Also, I can't believe how good the food actually taste again, I was watching my fat (keeping it low, the old way) and food was just kind of blah, this way definitely has it's advantages. Welcome to add me!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congrats. What an amazing achievement. Happy to have more positive supportive people here and friend them. I sent you a friend request. I am learning my food boundaries and love how healthy I feel on lchf
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a big drop in a short amount of time! I was excited to lose 3 lbs in my first week. Today is day 7 for me so I'm a newb right along with you. My stats are SW: 301.7, CW: 298.6, and my goal weight is 175 lbs. I'm a 40 yo F, 5'4". Feel free to friend request me. :) I'll take all the friends I can get!
  • Adelia979
    Adelia979 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request too.
    I'm 29, F, 5'7". My stats are SW: 308, CW: 246, GW: 167
    I technically started the keto diet two months ago, but I've only started being stricter about it a week ago. I'm always looking for people to help me stay motivated and hold me accountable. I moved to ohio in november and I still don't have any friends so I'm relying on mfp friends lol
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since January 2016 but only knew I was doing it for 2 months. (I learned that I couldn't eat carbs and survive on 1650 cals/day).

It was a real pleasure to find this group and learn so much more... and solve some of the hiccups I was experiencing.

I've lost an average of 3.5lbs/week since I started and am 10 lbs from my goal weight. I expect to hit it in June.

However, I've realized that my goal weight to way too high and I intend on losing at least an extra 30 starting in September although I have no intention of changing the way I'm eating. I just plan on adding some booze back into the diet and reducing workouts a bit.

I can't imagine ever going back to the way I ate before. I pray that I don't forget this blessing.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am not new to MFP but I am new to Keto and I love it! I am never turning back. I started Keto on April 8 and as of today have lost 17 lbs. I am 50 5'3" cw 155, gw 135-130. who knows. Please add me I would love to be friends
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as friend, I am loving this LCD community
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to mfp but I started Keto 6 days ago and am already down 3.5 lbs. I'm 5'3" and currently 161 lbs and have a goal weight of 135lbs (for now, we'll see once I get there). Feel free to add me. I log my food everyday but to be honest I often forget to close off my diary.