Vacation and low carb

basenji
basenji Posts: 208 Member
I'm starting low carb tomorrow even though we are leaving on a road trip on Friday for 10 days with our 3 kids. I was tempted to wait until after vacation but I really just want to get started now. My worry is what will I bring to eat on the road? We usually bring bread, peanut butter and jelly and chips for quick lunches since it doesn't need to be in the cooler. We will have a cooler with us though. What are some easy low carb lunches I can bring or prepare that wouldn't be too opposite what the family is eating? Maybe peanut butter on celery, beef jerky and raw veggies? Hard boiled eggs and string cheese? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• KristysGonnaGetFit
    KristysGonnaGetFit Posts: 40 Member
    I want to know this too.... camping next week and need ideas. I think you mentioned most of what I was thinking: jerky and lettuce wraps (meat/mayo/tomato) and will take some fat bombs ("almond joy" fat bombs are my fave!) in a cooler. Hard boiled eggs and babybel cheeses/cheese sticks and nuts of all varieties :-) maybe dark chocolate and lots of pre-cut veggies and some berries. I will also pack tuna in pouches and meat/cheese for snacking.

I also need more ideas for meals as well (in addition to meat for grilling)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    I usually take ham with cream cheese rolls, Beef jerky chopped up with cilantro and lime and wrapped in a low carb tortilla ( walmart). Also salad greens and then i add the tuna or chicken salad on top when im ready to eat. I make Flaxseed bread and cut that into squares and dip them into homemade Pico de Gallo or any low carb dip.

Spinach and cream cheese dip is yummy and good with carrots and other veggies. Hummus is not low carb i guess

instead of mayo, i mix canned meats with softened cream cheese and garlic powder and herbs..its so delicious =)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    meat (deli meat, canned tuna/salmon/chicken, boiled eggs, jerky, etc), cheese, veggies (pre-cut celery, cucumbers, etc), nuts...there was a thread about road trips not too long ago, let me find it...

Oh, it was in a different group, but here it is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/916525-road-food
    A few higher-carb suggestions you can skip (fruit and sweet potato)

If you're eating at restaurants, go for salads (skip the croutons or other fried stuff), or meat + veggie side (watch out for the sugar in cole slaw, I always forget that!).
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Peanut butter on celery is a good one. I purchase dips made by Cabot like Buttermilk Ranch and French Onion and dip low-carb crackers (found at Whole Foods) and cucumber/celery. Lots of different cheeses to have with veggies or low-carb crackers. I also like peanut butter on Coco - Popcakes (which are low carb and come in a number of flavors). Deli meat like chicken breast, ham or turkey rolled up with slices of cheese and some mayo or horseradish sauce. Skinnypop is another snack that is low-carb popcorn. Nuts like almonds and peanuts are great snacks. Cabot's Cottage cheese with some berries, plain chicken wings and you can add a low-carb BBQ sauce to dip. Cold soups, if you like them, like asparagus or broccoli. For a dessert, Reddi-Whip is good in a dish with some nuts on it or berries. There are low-carb tortillas by Joseph's that you can put egg or chicken salad on.

Eggplant or Chicken parm is a good dinner item to have when out. Seafood is a good one also - cocktail shrimp, salmon, crab, lobster, etc. If you have to stop at a fast food place, go for the beef patty and just get rid of the bun.

Have fun on your vacation.