Grain Fed Beef linked to Superbugs

Options
slimzandra
slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
I was having a discussion about antibiotics and superbugs in the news today. This article was brought to my attention. If you read the whole article there is an anti-beef sentiment, but this part about grain-fed vs. grass-fed caught my attention. Since starting this WOE I've increased my red meat intake from once a week to daily. This is something I may consider when choosing meats. Thoughts?

"...All beef cattle spend the first few months of their lives on pasture or rangeland, where they graze on forage crops such as grass or alfalfa.  But then nearly all are fattened, or as the industry likes to call it “finished,” in feedlots where they eat grain.  You can’t take a beef calf from a birth weight of 80 pounds to 1,200 pounds in a little more than a year on grass.  That kind of unnaturally fast weight gain takes enormous quantities of corn, soy-based protein supplements, antibiotics and other drugs, including growth hormones.
Under current farm policies, switching a cow from grass to corn makes economic sense, but it is still profoundly disturbing to the animal’s digestive system.  It can actually kill a steer if not done gradually and if the animal is not continually fed antibiotics.
Author (and small-scale cattleman) Michael Pollan describes what happens to cows when they are taken off of pastures and put into feedlots and fed corn:
“Perhaps the most serious thing that can go wrong with a ruminant on corn is feedlot bloat. The rumen is always producing copious amounts of gas, which is normally expelled by belching during rumination. But when the diet contains too much starch and too little roughage, rumination all but stops, and a layer of foamy slime that can trap gas forms in the rumen. The rumen inflates like a balloon, pressing against the animal’s lungs. Unless action is promptly taken to relieve the pressure (usually by forcing a hose down the animal’s esophagus), the cow suffocates.
“A corn diet can also give a cow acidosis. Unlike our own highly acidic stomachs, the normal pH of a rumen is neutral. Corn makes it unnaturally acidic, however, causing a kind of bovine heartburn, which in some cases can kill the animal but usually just makes it sick. Acidotic animals go off their feed, pant and salivate excessively, paw at their bellies and eat dirt. The condition can lead to diarrhea, ulcers, bloat, liver disease and a general weakening of the immune system that leaves the animal vulnerable to everything from pneumonia to feedlot polio.”
Putting beef cattle in feedlots and giving them corn is not only unnatural and dangerous for the cows. It also has profound medical consequences for us, and this is true whether or not we eat their flesh. Feedlot beef as we know it today would be impossible if it weren’t for the routine and continual feeding of antibiotics to these animals. This leads directly and inexorably to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. These new “superbugs” are increasingly rendering our antibiotics ineffective for treating disease in humans.
https://foodrevolution.org/blog/the-truth-about-grassfed-beef/

Replies

• tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am lucky in that all the red meat I eat is ~Grassfed. Our Cattle here in Ireland are only housed in winter if it is very severe and as it isn't they spend most of their time outside, and will get some grains but it isn't like the intense over feeding that happens in bigger countries in Europe or in the USA, our beef and diary industry is very strict on what gets a quality mark, so our beef and dairy is indeed very high quality. Very ideal for this way of eating. Also the irish beef industry is very strict on what antibiotics are given to our animals and farmers are not allowed to buy and administer these, it is only under vetinary supervision so once again the superbug thing isn't a factor in the irish beef industry.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You are fortunate. The meat in the grocery stores around where I live is all mass-produced. Unless, I go to a special butcher associated with a particular farm, I have no idea about the real back story of the foods I consume. I also like your irish butter :)
    fo3fm0byfsb4.jpg
    Cows.jpg 140.7K
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Grass fed beef tastes better!

I'm lucky, I live in a relatively rural area and can buy a side of beef from my friends when they butcher-- the animals receive an anti-yeast agent because they have a chronic issue with it on their farm, but not for 3 months before butchering, only when they're smaller. No other hormones or medicines geared towards growth.

Other friends raise free-range chickens for both eggs and meat, and they can't find enough people to buy the eggs. Ask around, and you might find a lot of people willing to sell high-quality meat and eggs for very low prices. You might have to invest in a chest freezer to make it worth the initial investment.