Another Cholesterol Thread: the ratio

Options
lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
edited May 2016 in Social Groups
Do you think that the HDL/LDL ratio matters more than the cholesterol levels, when total cholesterol is high? Mine is pretty darn high, and went from 271 to 279 since going low carb. However my HDL is almost equal to my LDL, 132 vs 137. One doctor thinks I should lower my cholesterol. Two doctors think it doesn't matter because of my ratio. No one thinks I should have my particle number tested. (My plan is to mind my saturated fat macros and test again in 4 months).

How much do you think the ratio matters, based on your experience at the doctor's office and what you've read?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about LDL or TC unless you have other risk markers. And, you, as a woman in good physical condition, probably have very little risk.

So I would go with the 2 out of 3 doctors who recommend doing nothing. :)

Getting an NMR or VAP would give you more risk markers to evaluate and would likely put your mind at ease.

As far as ratios go, they are purely epidemiological. I.e., they only know about associations in population studies, not mechanisms (AFAIK). And your HDL is high enough that they probably have very little data from population studies for your particular profile, so even if the studies tell you it's good (which they will), there's probably not a lot of statistical power behind those observations.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that some of that LDL is the good kind so since no one will test it, and really it sounds good to me and we know that eating saturated fat tends to make more of that good kind... I would just go with the assumption that it's predominantly that large fluffy LDL... I mean, they could check, but at least one of them is more motivated to put you on dsngerous drugs instead... :(
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about cholesterol but I noticed your picture changed and I wanted to say you look frigging amazing!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_, @auntstephie321, and @wabmester! Good point about being an outlier, Wabmester. I don't know where the high HDL comes from. No one else in my family has it.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Do you think that the HDL/LDL ratio matters more than the cholesterol levels, when total cholesterol is high? Mine is pretty darn high, and went from 271 to 279 since going low carb. However my HDL is almost equal to my LDL, 132 vs 137. One doctor thinks I should lower my cholesterol. Two doctors think it doesn't matter because of my ratio. No one thinks I should have my particle number tested. (My plan is to mind my saturated fat macros and test again in 4 months).

How much do you think the ratio matters, based on your experience at the doctor's office and what you've read?

Wow, a one to one ratio of HDL and LDL is really awesome. I have high HDL too (~100), and basically have been told that the risks from the lowering drugs far exceed the risk of any heart disease from my present cholesterol issue. My LDL is a bit high, but my HDL is also high and my triglycerides very low. Plus dieting and losing weight very often raises LDL. I did do the particle test six weeks ago, and a lot of my LDL particles are the large fluffy good LDL. Don't do the drugs unless you are fully informed.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto everyone else. The ratio is a better indicator of health. I wouldn't worry at all.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »

Wow, a one to one ratio of HDL and LDL is really awesome. I have high HDL too (~100), and basically have been told that the risks from the lowering drugs far exceed the risk of any heart disease from my present cholesterol issue. My LDL is a bit high, but my HDL is also high and my triglycerides very low. Plus dieting and losing weight very often raises LDL. I did do the particle test six weeks ago, and a lot of my LDL particles are the large fluffy good LDL. Don't do the drugs unless you are fully informed.

Good point. If anyone suggests the drugs, I'm going to insist on the particle test first.