How often do you recalculate your macros?

Options
kimmydear
kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
It's been several months since I recalculated my macros/calories on the Keto Calculator, so I tried it again today. I'm not unhappy with the results, but why am I allotted more calories now? Is it because my macros have changed a little? I was given 1372 kcal at the start, now I am given 1542 after losing 23 pounds. This doesn't make sense to me.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I re-calculate every ten pounds lost.

Did you accidentally change the activity level on the calculator or changed how much deficit you wanted?
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I only did it 3 times but only had 50 lbs to loose... Started at 1600 65/25/10 then went to 1500 70/25/5. The. Finished with 1400 75/20/5 I never used the calculated just set my own way female 5'2" sw 194 end 140.
    I would change mine when ever I started slowing down on loosing.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Whenever I think I deserve to eat more.

(Somehow, for me, it hasn't worked just yet... )
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I only recalculated once, after I lost 50 lbs and stalled for 3 weeks. I discovered then that my old "weight loss" calories had become my new maintenance calories, and that's why I'd quit losing. I plan on staying at the new macros as long as they still work, and go from there.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. I'm down 23 so far - about half way there and would love more thoughts on when to recalculate.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Did you accidentally change the activity level on the calculator or changed how much deficit you wanted?

The only thing I can figure is that I put sedentary the first time I did it, just to make sure I wasn't over-calculating. I'm not sedentary at all as a mom of 3, babysitting 2 more little ones, working out maybe 2x a week (really need to improve there). So maybe that's the change, but it seems awfully skewed.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »

The only thing I can figure is that I put sedentary the first time I did it, just to make sure I wasn't over-calculating. I'm not sedentary at all as a mom of 3, babysitting 2 more little ones, working out maybe 2x a week (really need to improve there). So maybe that's the change, but it seems awfully skewed.

Try re-calculating using sedentary and see if it gives you the same number.

I know that my numbers change when I change the activity level and also go from a bigger deficit in the beginning to a much smaller one as I get closer to go.

For what it's worth, I just did my calculations for sedentary at a 10% deficit (I don't have a lot left to lose) and it gave me 1299 calories. Lightly active at the same 10% gave me 1455 and moderately active at 10% gave me 1637. This is only changing activity level. Everything else stayed the same.

Maybe if you err on the side of caution, you can choose the lower number. But remember to fuel your body for activity. Or choose a middle ground.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    In 21 months of eating this way, I've only recalculated my macros 3 times; however, I'm probably going to have to do it again soon because I'm getting close to goal.