Help???

Options
crazydog1234
crazydog1234 Posts: 5 Member
So I started C25K two weeks ago. I'm on week 2 day 2. the first day of week 2 I ran the whole minutes and a half but on the second day today I had to stop for some reason. It was hard to do and I get out of breath. But I just love the feeling of running now but I hate how I can only go practically a minute and 10 seconds. Tomorrow is day 3 and I want to run the whole minute and a half but I don't know if I can do it. Any advise????

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Bad runs happen. Accept it but also think about whether conditions were different on W2D2 than they were on W2D1. Were you tired, sleep deprived? Was the weather hotter, colder? Was the time of day different or had you done more earlier in the day before your run?

Sometimes when I had a bad run I would repeat that day until I got it. Other times, I felt like I'd done it "in spirit" and could justify progressing to the next day. It just depended on how bad the run was and what else was going on.

I did the 9 week C25k program in the RunDouble app and it took me 13 1/2 weeks to do it. Life happened, bad runs happened. I just kept telling myself I was going to finish and today, I ran 5K, up our hill (1st half, 2nd half gets to be mostly down hill), without stopping. A couple of years ago I never would have believed I could do it.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start week 6. There have been several runs along the way that I've had to repeat cause I couldn't finish them 'properly'. It took me three tries to finish W5D3.

Just go at the pace you're comfortable. It's totally ok if you have to repeat.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to slow down to a "Conversational Pace" relax and don't worry about the Time/Distance ratio. Pick a new landmark on your route that is just a little further out than your last run and go to it, the end of the next block, the junction with another trail. Like everyone else has said - Repeating a day/week is not a bad thing. When I get on a training cycle for a HM race I always throw in a few extra weeks for "Stuff Happens" - one of your goals at all times should be to stay injury free and understand what you will need to do if you get injured.

When I say conversational - ask yourself - could you carry on a conversation with a friend/co-runner. If the answer is no then slow down.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Slow down.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's hard to guess what happened. You've got good advice here; what was different? Were you going too fast/too hard? Was it just a bad day?

Regardless, be patient with yourself. Don't be discouraged that you can "only go practically a minute and ten seconds" - instead, congratulate yourself on going a minute and ten seconds! If that's your limit, then it's a safe bet you weren't pushing yourself to run a minute and ten seconds a month ago, or six months ago. But now you are!

I didn't run since my gym teachers made me in high school, and i'm nearly 40. I smoked for all of the years since then, up til i quit two years ago. I'm overweight. I definitely couldn't run a minute and ten seconds before starting c25k.

This morning i went out for my first run since graduating the program. I completed a 5k at my local park in 44 minutes. not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but i finished it. More importantly, i enjoyed it.

My advice to you - go easy on yourself. Keep your pace slow enough (conversational pace, as mentioned above) and work on running safely. Enjoy your progress as you find that you can accomplish more than you might expect, as long as you give your body the time, rest, and respect it needs to carry you through the challenge.

Good luck, and many happy runs to you!