My Clean Eating 'Rules'

Options
5ophie8all
5ophie8all Posts: 22 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
I guess this clean eating lark works differently for everyone? I'm just getting started but in under two weeks I've seen fantastic changes - not that my diet was 'bad' beforehand but I did go on a bit of a binge so it's time for an overhaul of my dietary lifestyle. I used to include a few simple components in my twenties so now older and wiser, I'm incorporating those back into my diet with added changes too:-

Vegetarian (eats eggs and dairy)
Avoid trans fats and over processed foods with ingredients I don't understand
Replaced sunflower/veg cooking oils with cold pressed extra virgin rapeseed oil (chosen over olive oil as well) for omega3 content or coconut oil (which i use for lots of things!)
Keep it low gluten where possible without totally restricting myself, for example and will and do eat some wheat in the form of seeded bread (for example) once or twice a week
Reducing portion size. For example where I might have had two slices of toast with 2 scrambled eggs I will now have once slice with one egg for breakfast then a smoothie mid morning if hungry.
Avoid 'low fat' substitutes and use full 'good' fats but sparingly. Just enough to help metabolise and absorb the nutrients I need.
Take apple cider vinegar with lemon and water three times daily
Take aloe vera juice once daily in a smoothie.
If I need to add sweetness to a smoothie for example I add a pitted date to the blend or sometimes honey but have cut out all refined sugars.
Include a mix of flax, chia, goji, pumpkin and sunflowers seeds (amongst others) daily.
Increase fiber intake for a fuller feeling
Ensure protein is eaten with every meal

I also take supplements, just general multivits with added iron and zinc too. I've started adding chromium occasionally but still doing my research on that.

I would love to know your thoughts on my 'rules' and I hope this helps someone too. I'm always looking to improve.

x