Is Taking a Rest Week Important?

Options
sclaibo
sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
Hi All! I am finishing stage 1 this week and I was wondering if you guys found it beneficial to take a rest week? What did you do in your rest week, if anything? Do you think you saw more results by taking (or not taking) a rest week? I am feeling a bit hulk-like this week and I am thinking it is just water retention, or maybe I should just push through and go right into the next week.

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I am finishing stage 1 this week and I was wondering if you guys found it beneficial to take a rest week? What did you do in your rest week, if anything? Do you think you saw more results by taking (or not taking) a rest week? I am feeling a bit hulk-like this week and I am thinking it is just water retention, or maybe I should just push through and go right into the next week.
    This is my last week for S1 too, I am not taking a rest week between these stages. I think it's personal pref and reading what your body is telling you. If what I hear is true about S2 kicking your *kitten*, I am sure I will need one between 2 & 3...... time will tell, but I will prob have to MAKE myself take a week off after S2, as I know how important it is for your body to rest and your muscles completely repair/recover from heavy lifting, I usually come back feeling stronger after a week off myself.
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don’t really take a rest week. I will take days off when I’m going away for work or vacation and try to make sure I do something active (walking, biking, swimming, HIIT). For instance, I finished stage 4 on June 25th and didn’t start Stage 5 until July 6th. In between I did a 5K, pushup and DL practice, mobility training, and a HIIT session.

I’m not seeing amazing measurement results. I have lost a few pounds. But, really I just love doing the exercises and it makes me feel good so I can’t speak as to whether taking a rest week or not has affected my results.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I took the week between stage 1 and 2. My body was needing it but it's really a personal preference. As the book says I think a rest is good but it doesn't really matter when. Listen to your body.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've just started stage 7....

I didn't take any breaks until stage 5. Looking back I wish I had. I know it's easy to "feel" like you don't need to rest but its really important for your body to do so. Once I ended stage 5 I felt so burnt out. So I took a week off and then started stage 6. I ended up tweaking both shoulders in stage six and I've had to take a couple weeks off (for other reasons as well) before I just started stage 7 today. Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference either way but I can't help but think those breaks could have been beneficial. You won't lose strength by taking a week off, so don't be scared of that!

With all that said, it really boils down to listening to your body.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I find that I often come back stronger from a rest week and that I feel better mentally after a break. This leads to me being able to push myself harder and therefore I get better results.