Knee pain

Options
Fitamdshiit
Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
Hi all! Was doing great with my running and enjoying it. Until I went on a long walk holding my toddler on my hip and wearing sandals. That night my knee was on fire. The pain is just below my kneecap and toward the inside. It hurts to walk, go down stairs, anf especially to run. So obviously I had to quit running and I am really bummed. I have no idea what is exactly wrong with my knee. I hope it heals soon though. I miss running. Please tell me you've had set backs, recovered, and kept going. I don't want this to be the end of running.

Replies

• rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi! So, your pain sounds very similar to what happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was on week 3 day 1. Started with my Right knee, then by the next day it was with my Left knee as well. I finally broke down and went to the dr. She said it sounded like sprained meniscus. I treated with ibuprofen, which totally helped. I was out of running for exactly 2 weeks. She gave me strengthening exercises to do. Leg and core exercises. They have totally helped. I found running braces for ACL injuries, not sure of the name at the moment. They are very easy to run in. I have ran without them once and had a little bit of achiness around my knees (where you described) so I continue to use them. I also found a single band that straps around the bottom of your knee area and pushes your knee cap up and holds that tendon area in place. I use that when that area is tender and doing daily things, it helps. I don't use any braces just walking around at work, b/c she said it will hinder knee strengthening by doing that. Right now I have no knee pain. I am currently heading into W5D3. You should probably see your PCP just to make sure you get diagnosed correctly and are treating it correctly. I definitely feel that the strengthening exercises are what has really helped me. Weak thigh and hip muscles usually lead to knee pain. Oh and I was out of commission for 2 weeks and was able to pick up where I left off.

Good luck! Hope you heal quickly!
  • Fitamdshiit
    Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you so much for the response! After a ton of research I was thinking meniscus as well. Going to make an appointment with my pcp still. I'm so glad you recovered and are still able to run. I'm going crazy trying to rest my knee!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I have had setbacks due to knee problems. It's definitely a big concern for me when it comes to running, or even walking. I haven't gotten any doctor prescribed exercises to strengthen them (although I do have my doctor's referral to see a physical therapist - I just haven't found the time), but twice now I have given up doing Zumba because I was spending so much time walking and had one of my knees go out (and that was before I started running). So, I try to make sure I do some Zumba once or twice a week. I think the jumping and sideways motion helps to keep the muscles strong enough to support the knee.

At the moment, I'm walking 5 miles almost every day and running 3 miles about 3 days a week and not having problems. I've been very careful to stick to the C25k running program, though, and not do more than it calls for. Now it's time to go on to the 10k program and again, I'm going to be very careful.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you so much for the response! After a ton of research I was thinking meniscus as well. Going to make an appointment with my pcp still. I'm so glad you recovered and are still able to run. I'm going crazy trying to rest my knee!

Hope you figured this one out. I had similar symptoms and thought it might be a torn meniscus. The MRI came out negative, and my PT thought it was due to weak hips. She gave me some simple exercises that seem to have helped.
  • mel_issa1717
    mel_issa1717 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. On week 2 day 1 on c25k. Hopefully it clears up, if I stop running now I won't start again:(
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. On week 2 day 1 on c25k. Hopefully it clears up, if I stop running now I won't start again:(

Careful. I thought the same thing and ended up out for 2 weeks unable to run.