Elevated Liver Enzymes

Options
carlsoda
carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
OK my knowledgeable LCHF friends. As some of you are aware I'm undergoing cancer treatment. I have my blood work done and my liver enzymes came back as elevated. I mentioned that it might be due to how I eat, but I don't think they believed me :) Now I need more tests...CT Scan and another bone scan. Am I right that it could be caused by LCHF? I've been eating this way since last fall except for a month or so around Christmas. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    On low carb, they usually go down.

Are you eating a bunch of coconut oil, MCT, or butter? Their short-chain fatty acids are processed in the liver. I don't know if they'd have an effect on liver enzymes, though.

Edit: one other consideration might be protein shakes. BCAA intake is associated with elevated liver enzymes.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Yes I have a protein shake during the week for a "snack". I don't eat a lot of coconut oil or butter..but I do have HWC every day. Not sure if it does anything.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I didn't find a lot, but here's a study on rats:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S089990071300261X

q3xxjlou9ohj.jpg

BCAA and leucine supplementation caused a large increase in ALT and AST vs placebo (PLA)
    alt.jpg 98.9K
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I weighed more, I traditionally had elevated liver enzymes and after losing about 40 lbs they began to fall into the normal range, where they have mostly stayed. I was doing LCHF while maintaining trace ketosis.

Having had a fatty liver since I was a teenager, I would not blame LCHF for your liver enzymes.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    My first thought was cancer in another part of my body :) For most of my adult life I have always been about 25 lbs over weight (I'm 51 now and very close to my healthy BMI), so maybe it's just because of the weight? But I also eat a lot of protein bars with whey and soy protein, so maybe I really need to focus on real food instead of processed bars/shakes. Glad it's not the LCHF because I honestly feel better eating this way..not more of those ups and downs.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Probably more information here than anybody would reasonably want, but I found it fascinating. :)

Liver enzymes, metabolomics and genome-wide association studies: From systems biology to the personalized medicine

In a nutshell, ALT and AST are traditionally used as markers of liver damage -- the enzymes can leak into blood plasma when liver cell membranes are disrupted.

BUT the plasma levels also correlate with increased liver metabolic activity, which is a likely scenario on a ketogenic diet. So the authors conclude that these particular enzymes aren't great markers to use for damage.

SO your guess may be correct. It could be a sign that all is well, but it's worth following up with additional tests.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I too seriously doubt it is from LCHF. I have elevated liver enzymes, had them well before I started on my road to health. Had them rechecked a few months ago (~7 months on low carb, no sugar diet, and not a drop of alcohol) and they have gone down, but technically they are still considered elevated. My doc was 1,000,000 percent sure it had to do with my OLD diet and having a fatty liver for quite some time, it is a process that can take time to heal. Have you looked at old blood work panels to see if you had this before? It is such a common occurrence to have fatty livers these days that I don't think doctors really mention it anymore.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Hmmm my post disappeared! So I still wonder why she ordered a CT scan and bone scan? Ruling out damage to the liver? My husband said to give the dr. call...smart idea right? So could I have a fatty liver even though I have never been "obese"? I used to eat a lot of cookies and chocolate (crazy amounts) when I was super stressed, but haven't in a long time.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Alkaline phosphatase usually corresponds with bone diseases (i.e. Paget's Dx)
    ALanine amino Transferase is the most specific to the Liver

No, ketogenic diets do not raise AST/ALT/Alk Phosph. There are literally tons of variables that you are leaving out; your physician with your known history & current status is going to have a better understanding of the root cause
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    From my research keto usually reduces liver enzymes. I keep trying to get my husband on the diet for his fatty liver.

I think some cancer drugs can elevate liver enzymes. I know they use methotrexate at doses lower than those used for cancer to treat RA and that drug requires frequent testing of liver enzymes.

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    [quote="carlsoda;36662035" So could I have a fatty liver even though I have never been "obese"? [/quote]

Absolutely yes, many estimate that 40% of people with metabolic disease are not obese. It's no different than high blood pressure in that regards; it is not a direct cause from obesity. You do not need one to have the other. It is far more about diet choices. Obesity isn't a root cause, it is a symptom too. Our bodies handle bad diets differently.
  • wabmester
    Options
    There's an official medical term for it: "thin outside, fat inside". TOFI. :)

In my case, low carb dropped ALT pretty quickly. Went to normal within the first 3 months. Liver fat seems to be the first to go as we lose weight.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    So interesting. Well I haven't seen the results yet (not posted on the portal) so I have no clue if it's slightly elevated or dramatically elevated. Since I've lived a pretty clean life and hardly ever drank I suspect it's more related to my diet than anything. Luckily my diet has changed for the better and now it's getting even a little more tighter. Sometimes you need a scare to change things. :) Thank you all for your care and concern..this time period is really testing me!