Juicy Fruit June

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,892 Member
    Terri, great first day choices. So glad to hear you are feeling better and less pain!

OMG Carla... that sounds super stressful moving in at the same time your buyers are moving in. I hope that things go smoothly. Happy Anniversary! I bet the pup is growing so fast.

I am getting ready to make the detox salad. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I am going to cut back quite a bit on the raisins and currants to keep the calories/sugars lower, but I already planned to make it and it sounds so good I can't resist making it.
  • Mihani
    Detox Salad review ;)ohsheglows.com/2011/09/27/detox-salad/ It tastes very green. You all should know what I mean by that, like fresh mown grass lol. I like it, but if anyone isn't a fan of that green taste I wouldn't try it. I do think that a drizzle of maple syrup when serving as called for in the recipe would be nice, but I didn't want to add that while doing the 6 week plan. I also cut the currants back to 1/2 cup and the raisins to 1/4 so my version isn't going to be as sweet as the original regardless. It makes a lot so I think the amount of raisins and currants I used was reasonable for the 6 week plan.

I'll let you know what I think after it sits overnight and the raisins/currants have a chance to add sweetness throughout. I'm considering a little cayenne to spice it up. I found that processing the broccoli resulted in pulp so I switched to the shredder tool on the food processor for the cauliflower and it worked much better. I didn't have herbamere but I used an all purpose no salt seasoning that I had in the cabinet, and a good amount of fresh ground pepper.
  • Mihani
    Good day! Had a few moments thinking about crackers. The first time I ignored the cravings and the second time I grabbed an apple.

B - banana
    L - detox salad (this was really good today after sitting overnight... not nearly as "green" tasting, it's definitely a keeper recipe)
    D - Made a steamer bag of cauliflower then added garlic, pepper and lemon. Also threw a can of chickpeas into a cast iron skillet to warm them up a bit, added ground pepper and what I thought was a no salt seasoning but I had grabbed the wrong jar and it was garam masala. It was actually amazingly good. So easy too. I have to keep that in mind for an easy way to add beans to dinner without doing much cooking. Cantaloupe for dessert.
    S - apple
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Day 2: Excellent mostly too busy to eat
    B: quinoa w/ coconut and blueberries
    L; none
    D: Morracan Spiced Vegetable Ste
    watermelon
    S: 9 strawberries, 2 tbs sunbutter, 13 vegan gf crackers

So busy today at work--glad I have the day off tomorrow with my daughter

Carla: good luck with the move and Happy Anniversary!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    Mihani, what a happy accident, adding garam masala to the chickpeas - perfect! And mmm! canteloupe...I have to pick some up...will make a nice addition to my fruit salad.

Terri, nice day 2. Hope you're enjoying the day off with your daughter!

I'm continuing to pack and organize for our move. My shoulder healing up nicely and my knee is doing okay as long as I don't overdo things. Food, aside from breakfast and fruit salad dessert isn't on point, but on the plus side of things, this puppy is making me a lot more active! On our walk today, a young guy jogged by and Ruby was insistent that we jog behind him. An unexpected workout. Too bad I was in flip flops!

Tomorrow we go to the title place to sign for the house, and after that head to Ruby's training class. My husband will be packing up our computers on Saturday morning. We are still waiting to hear back from our internet provider at the new place...hopefully we aren't without internet for long!
  • Mihani
    Nice ETL day Terri. Hope you enjoyed your day with your daughter.

Carla, this was the best cantaloupe. I wish we could be sure every melon is sweet and perfect, but it doesn't work that way does it? Glad you're feeling better. That's funny Ruby wants to chase after joggers. Good luck with the move and hope you won't be offline too long.

B - smoothie same as yesterday
    L - more of the detox salad... this is a favorite thing now for sure, I may make more for next week
    D - going to eat leftover cauliflower and chickpeas, and have a side salad with grape tomatoes and radishes
    S - about 15 grapes
  • tdh1991
    Day 3. OK day. Daughter and I went shopping for new work clothes for her.
    Took us all say but we are done.
    Breakfast coconut milk

Lunch. Bgood veggie burger with lettuce avocado sweet potato fries

Dinner Ruby Tuesday. Salad bar baked potato plain steamed broccoli

• Mihani
    Glad you had a fun day with your daughter Terri.

B - banana
    L - the last of the detox salad, cantaloupe
    D - going to make a huge salad with spring mix, radishes, beets, carrots, grape tomatoes, chickpeas. Not sure yet about dressing I'll look at Dr. F's recipes or I'll just fall back on my usual plain balsamic. For the chickpeas I think I will cook them lightly in the cast iron skillet again with some spices. I really like them that way, more flavor, but they aren't crispy like they get when you roast them. I like the roasted ones, but for salad I'd rather have them not as crunchy.
    S - soy yogurt, grapes

Bought a watermelon at the grocery today. Can't wait to cut into it. I love watermelon.

Got on the scale this morning, down 3 pounds!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Mihani, congrats on the 3 pound loss. That is awesome!! You and Terri are rocking the reboot.

My food now is terrible. We packed up everything and then our closing date got postponed until this Tuesday (buyer's bank forgot to file something). That means we can't move until Tuesday either so we are eating out or getting takeout from now until then.

On the plus side, between packing and cleaning and exercising Ruby, I'm getting in plenty of activity!

May not have internet for a while...but will check in and say hi once I do. Then I'll be doing a reboot of my own. Keep up the great work guys!
  • Mihani
    Been working all weekend, as usual. Left the office around 2:30 and brought some files home so still lots to do tonight. I got a little caught up with the boss gone, but not enough. It's never enough!

Yesterday...
    B - banana and cantaloupe
    L - hummus wrap in a whole wheat soft taco size tortilla with lots of lettuce, red pepper, red onion
    D - salad with spiced chickpeas, grape tomatoes, sunflower seeds, balsamic, nooch
    S - watermelon and grapes

Today...
    B - smoothie (water, spinach, frozen mixed berries, chia seeds, 1/4 tsp vanilla)
    L - hummus wrap same as yesterday
    D - plan a salad with romaine, black beans, tomato, avocado, mango, and salsa for dressing with watermelon for dessert

It is SO hot here ugh. I am not getting in my cooked veggies. I plan to get some broccoli and cauliflower to roast and eat cold on salads. The idea of eating anything hot is completely unappealing!

Carla that is so disappointing your closing got postponed... sometimes it is like all the dominoes are lined up, but nobody can get them to fall! Fingers crossed it is all straightened out and your move goes well Tuesday.
  • tdh1991
    edited June 2016
    Mahini congrats on the loss and food is looking good
    Carla sorry about your delay. It always happens

Finished shopping for my daughter yeah!
    Work has been really busy.

Yesterday buckwheat pancakes 2 the maple syrup.
    Parsley cauliflower soup. Watermelon
    Vegan gluten free home made tacos
    Popcorn
    Little lean on greens yesterday

Today. Cooked collard greens and mushrooms
    Steel cut oats fruit
    Veggie soup
    Salmon spring mix salad cucumber salad
    Dr Furman banana flag cake

• Mihani
    Yesterday:
    B - smoothie (water, power greens, chia seeds, frozen mixed berries)
    L - big salad (50/50 blend, red pepper, red onion, sunflower seeds, grape tomatoes, nooch, balsamic)
    D - hummus wrap (hummus, lots of lettuce/yellow pepper/onion), lots of watermelon
    S - grapes, lara bar

Today's plan will be pretty much a repeat of yesterday. I don't seem to have time or inclination to make something new every day but I love salads and wraps so I'm cool with eating them every day. I am going to play around with making my own bean spreads so I can eliminate the oil in the hummus. I will find a recipe to try this weekend.
  • tdh1991
    Here are a few no oil hummus recipes

Ingredients:
    2 cups cooked white beans or canned, no-salt added or low-sodium white beans
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons unhulled sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
    Instructions:

Blend the beans, lemon juice, sesame seeds, vinegar, mustard, and water in a food processor or high-powered blender until smooth. Add the basil and thyme and pulse very briefly. Do not over-process; the herbs should be visible in small pieces.

Calories 155; Protein 10 g; Carbohydrates 24 g; Total Fat 2.6 g; Saturated Fat 0.4 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 14 mg; Fiber 6.9 g; Beta-Carotene 118 ug; Vitamin C 4 mg; Calcium 135 mg; Iron 4.3 mg; Folate 80 ug; Magnesium 77 mg; Zinc 1.6 mg; Selenium 2.9 ug

Ingredients:
    2 red bell peppers
    1 head garlic, broken into cloves, papery skin left on
    4 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans or 3 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added or low sodium garbanzo beans, drained
    2 lemons, juiced
    1/2 cup ground unhulled sesame seeds
    1 tablespoon cumin
    Instructions:

Roast the red bell peppers and the garlic at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Garlic should be mushy and easy to remove from the skin and red peppers should be tender and easy to peel. Quarter peppers, remove seeds and peel. Squeeze garlic out of peel.

In a food processor or high-powered blender, blend the red peppers, garlic, beans, lemon juice, sesame seeds and cumin. Add a small amount of water if needed to achieve desired consistency. Work in batches if necessary.

Calories 207; Protein 9 g; Carbohydrates 27 g; Total Fat 7.9 g; Saturated Fat 1 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 17 mg; Fiber 7.7 g; Beta-Carotene 403 ug; Vitamin C 38 mg; Calcium 102 mg; Iron 3.1 mg; Folate 151 ug; Magnesium 54 mg; Zinc 1.8 mg; Selenium 3.3 ug

Today plan:
    Dr. Fuhrman banana bead and fruit

Lunch; soup from freezer probably parsley cauliflower

Dinner: salad/sweet potato/ cucumber salad

Been super busy and having a fun with my daughter.
  • Mihani
    Thanks for the recipes Terri!

Still so busy ugh! Just finishing up for tonight and need to get dinner going.

B - oatmeal with lots of blueberries
    L - Amy's thai curry
    D - big ol' salad with lots of veggies
  • Mihani
    I overslept, bad storms last night and the dog kept me up he is terrified of thunder, then I worked late... so it wasn't a 6 week plan kind of day...

B - soy yogurt
    L - Subway veggie sub no cheese (of course) and fat free dressing
    D - hummus wrap
    S - way too many Triscuits
  • Carla_wfpb
    Hi Everyone! We finally moved! After things were delayed until Tuesday, they were once again delayed until Thursday!! We were starting to worry that the whole thing would fall through, but here we are!

I am loving it so far! Ruby is loving it, too. She can run around off her leash. I don't even know where her leash is right now and we used to have her on it constantly when we were outside. So far on our property, we've seen rabbits (and lil bunnies!), deer, tiny frogs, garter snakes, and coyotes.

Our eating is much better and we're working towards improving things every day. The previous owners started a garden, so although it is too late for us to start much, we are taking over what they have (beets, kale, rhubarb, peas, tomatoes and some other as of yet unknown bits). We've got loads of pears and apples ripening, and cherries trees which I think are mostly finished now.

We've been unpacking and working on the yard so I'm getting a lot more activity than I used to. I'm sore pretty much all over, so hopefully I start to adjust and hurt less. Time to build up some stamina!

Should be posting much more regularly again!

B - Dr. F banana blueberry oatmeal, vanilla latte, coffee w/ coconut creamer
    L - red lentil cauliflower curry
    D - red lentil cauliflower curry
    Snack - fruit salad (pineapple, grapes, blueberries, strawberries)
  • Mihani
    Yay Carla! So glad you're finally in your new home. Great choices on food today too!

I fell off the wagon with a thud this weekend, but I'm back on track today. It wasn't too awful, breakfast and lunch were usual smoothie and salad, but dinners were hummus quesadillas and veggie spring rolls, and beer lol. I was working all weekend and I just got a harrrrumph sort of attitude like why am I working all the time, and wanted to drink a few beers, and that led to bad food choices. I know better, will do better.

Still super busy, hoping that the long weekend will be good for me to get more caught up. The 4th actually falls on Monday which is nice. I just don't want to go to the office the day they have the big fireworks, too much traffic and craziness.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Mihani, I too had some beer yesterday. I split a bottle of Shock Top with my husband but gave him the bigger half. Couldn't resist. It was a glorious afternoon and we were sitting in the shade with a nice breeze. No regrets on that one :)

Today
    Breakfast: coffee & banana blueberry oatmeal
    Lunch: red lentil cauliflower curry
    Dinner: red lentil cauliflower curry
    snacks: nectarine, fruit salad, vanilla latte

for my workout I weeded and watered the garden for an hour, then used the push mower for 30 minutes or so (ride on mower hasn't arrived yet)
  • Mihani
    Half a beer, Carla, is the epitome of moderation and control! I need to make that red lentil cauliflower curry this weekend. I love that stuff.

Today was pretty good...
    B - the usual smoothie
    L - Amy's teriyaki wrap
    D - hummus wrap with lots and lots of veggies, like tearing the tortilla trying to wrap up all the veggies
    S - apple

• Carla_wfpb
    Love the sound of that hummus wrap with veggies, Mihani. I think I'll make Terri's hummus recipe and have that tonight! I'm going to sneak in a few leaves of beet greens and see how noticeable they are. They aren't my husband's favorite but so good for you.

This morning's exercise was another hour plus of push mowing and gardening. Great start to the day while it is still cool out!

Today:
    Breakfast: coffee and banana blueberry oatmeal
    Lunch: red lentil cauliflower curry
    Dinner: veggie hummus wrap
    Snack: nectarine and rainier cherries