Keto and exercise

TheBuffster40
TheBuffster40 Posts: 23 Member
I'm just over 10 days on 20g carbs and doing well. I've seen that people exercise like this and others take in carbs to exercise. I've also noticed that when I exert myself I feel muscle tiredness almost instantly.

Are there any tips are exercising while in ketosis? Will my body get used to it? Or more water salt beforehand? I'd rather not take in carbs as it's hard to get into ketosis for me and I'd like not to switch back and forth

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Yes, your body will adapt. Your body is essentially rewriting and making new muscle mitochondria to use fats first, and that generally takes 6-16 weeks - less if you ease up on the exercise while the muscles are converting - longer if your metabolism is flawed or if you continue heavy workouts while adapting. Always salt before/after workouts...magnesium, and sometimes potassium too. No carbs are necessary, just patience. There's a heavy lifter on reddit, DarthLuiggi I think is his name who's only keto. Marathoners, all kinds of stuff. Once the muscles burn fats for fuel, you won't hit that energy wall you do with carb burning where you have to refuel...
  • TheBuffster40
    TheBuffster40 Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks 6-16 weeks is a fairly long time. But generally I'm feeling like a healthy weight is possible if I stick to this - and I can actually stick to this so I'll just have to dig in
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    It can go really quickly, depending on your body. If you weren't eating like crap carbs before and you don't have metabolic syndrome, it could take maybe 2 weeks... I didn't have any major muscle issues, but I wasn't working out regularly. Most people got back to running/weights after about 3 weeks of lightening the workout loads.

It **CAN** take that long, which is why I mention it, so you don't get to 3 weeks, feel not much better, and toss in the towel. @wabmester might still have some links to the whole "rewiring on the mitochondria in muscles" stuff, to help clear it up...
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    AvacadoS is the answer Thry have 3 times the potassium as a vanna and a lot more fat. People true to do low carb and low fat that is a bad combination. Increase your fat intake like olives and avacados and you will see your body respond.

Also listen to the podcast Keto Talk. You will learn a lot more from Doctor Muscles. He is doctor that has been doing Keto for more than 10 years.
  • bartdorman
    bartdorman Posts: 8 Member
    It took me a month or so before I had more energy then I knew what to do with and could run and run and run. I did not know though about needed to ensure I was getting in enough electrolytes, I have a feeling if I was supplementing my sodium, potassium, and magnesium early on it may have been different, this is key to also avoid cramping. Now 7 months later and still in keto I can run 10 miles after fasting for 20+ hours and not bonk, feel great and be able to last several more hours before eating. Just have to to get adapted then all is good.