Low Carb Protein Powder

Options
clawson91
clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
Does anyone here use low or no carb protein powder? If so, what brand and where is the best place to buy? I found Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder, Creamy Vanilla, 1 Pound from Nature's Best on Amazon for $15 a pound. I know this stuff is expensive but is that a fair price? I've seen others for much more so maybe? I love my iced coffee in the morning and adding protein powder makes it really filling but most have too many carbs.

I'm still fairly new around here so I apologize if this has already been discussed. Thank you for any advice!

ejyqkluxs8ez.jpg

Replies

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    the only carbs in any protein product is from additives..like sugar, fillers, etc. So your product seems ideal.. paying for quality is worth it. avoiding sugar is too.

Our HFS was selling "Silk almond milk--unsweetened".. BUT the box say 7gr added sugar..that is NOT unsweetened, it should be 30 cals. at 0 sugar, not 60calories!!
    but the store manager thought I was the troublemaker for insisting it was incorrectly labeled.

you did well on this one it looks like. I buy Warrior Force-hemp protein powder.

Also because of all the bodybuilder craziness over protein powders to "bulk up" there are a million brands on the shelves..all junky--colors, additives, carbs and of course 'whey isolate protein is the lowest form, the dairy industry found an amazing use for an actual waste product only fed to pigs!! And they market it beautifully..sure it IS protein...but. You can research this.

...Hemp protein (seed proteins) is highest value nutrition, but doesn't mix as well, a bit gritty some say, ( called "rope" taste- i.e. from hemp rope) so depending on your taste try a few brands of best quality PP and see what you like.

Here is a fun article on the PP craze- http://nattyornot.com/whey-protein-scam-natural-bodybuilding/
    ..." On top of everything, you have to know that since whey protein is usually fat free, the body has harder time digesting it because all protein in nature is accompanied by fat. The supplement companies, however, will never tell you that part of the research."

• landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tried a hemp one and it tasted like dirt and turned my bread green. So, now I use Biochem natural flavor. It is whey protein and has less then one carb per serving. I don't know what it would taste like in coffee.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Costco sells MusclePharm 5 lbs cookies and cream protein powder. It has flavoring, additives but is low carb and tastes delicious. Other places sell in smaller quantities but if you do not like it, Costco return policy is unbeatable.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't really use them but my son has them sometimes so I bought the chocolate coconut Primal Kitchen because I try to reduce carbs and junk wherever I can on the kids. I had some to try it out just mixed with water, it's pretty darn good and has ingredients you don't have to question.
    I'm not a fan of "meal replacement" type foods in general, but I don't think I would have any issue with this being a lunch on occasion. :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I add a bit to my BPC. One serving is 2 scoops and I use less than one scoop in a day. It's mixed in with coconut oil usually, so I have my fats with it. ;)

I use Genuine Health PP. The flavoured ones are sweetened with stevia. They are almost carb free.
  • Mongo5918
    Mongo5918 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Here is a page that will rank 74 brands of Protein Powders by highest quality and best value. They show the lab testing results and give you all the information you need about PP except for the taste. You are probably the best judge of taste for your pallet.
    https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • raine291
    raine291 Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My fiance and I have used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein for many, many years. It is a high quality, low carb option. The flavors are wonderful. I often make shakes with almond milk, coconut milk, or water and I enjoy it all three ways. I only buy on amazon. For the quality and size you get (5 lb), it is worth the price. The brand also has many flavor choices, which can prevent boredom and help to make a different variety of shakes. I love extreme chocolate milk, cake batter, banana cream. Although chocolate mint, rocky road, cookies & cream, and french vanilla are very popular and highly recommended. I plan to try those eventually.
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I found quest shakes and bars and they taste really good and keep me full. I mix with just some water and ice in my blender and it is rich and creamy... my favorite is salted caramel.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    There is an unflavored ISOPURE that I used for a while until I ran out.
    That one has no sugar. I enjoyed my morning shake. It was good in the beginning and helped me get in the groove of doing LCHF, but I now I have become much better at meal prep and prefer to go with eggs, meats, veggies. IMHO, the Isopure brand is worth the extra money.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I use Smoothie King powder something - 22g protein, 1g carb per scoop i think. Not cheap really though.
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your responses! I only use protein powder occasionally in my coffee when it is "one of those mornings". I will check into these suggestions. :)