High fat low carb and calorie tracking

aimos87
aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
Hi, just wondering how people on 1700 cals or less a day eat LCHF without going over their calorie allowance? Fat is so high in calories is it because u don't really need to snack so u can have higher cal meals? Do u still measure out cream and cheese and avo etc when adding it to meals?

Replies

• FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Ha ha, for me, I don't snack, don't feel the need unless I'm over tired, or really high exercise. The fats just fill me up. I have olive oil, eggs, avocado and cabbage or other green veg most mornings, and I am filled up for a very long time.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    I eat an average of 1500 calories/day and almost never reach my fat limit - I love protein and I'm always a bit high there. I do measure and weigh most foods, particularly fats, because I have a lingering fear of calories & gaining back my weight. Some people do quite well just eating when hungry and stopping when satisfied & not measuring or tracking. For now, I like the security of keeping track.
  • jetsamflotsam
    jetsamflotsam Posts: 170 Member
    edited June 2016
    It can be done. :) I measure, weigh, and track every little thing. I ate 1625 cals today and got in 120 g fat. My diary is open if you want to look at it... dinner tonight was a taco salad. I was eating just over 2000 calories prior to today but lowered my calorie goal last night because I want to lose a bit quicker. I have tomorrow's food pre-logged in too at 134 g fat, and tomorrow's dinner is a pesto baked chicken salad. I usually eat two meals a day and a couple small snacks if I need them. FYI... my carb goal is 50 g net carbs (carbs minus fibre), but MFP only lets you choose a %, not grams, so that's why my goal is higher than 50 g...
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    I'm learning this is a problem for me, as well. I guess I'm going to have to accept that I won't be able to reach my fat limit each day. Example, I went way over (by a couple hundred calories) the other day because I learned a new recipe and also I ran out of eggs, which are a moderately easy way to not have super high cals but still get fat and protein in.
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    I dont actually count calories. The high fat leaves me satiated. So I just eat a few smaller meals a day. I did count a few days though, and I was well within my safe zone.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    YES Most times I do measure each ingredient carefully, as fats can stack up easily. I may be strange but my need to eat flag is usually get fatigued more than sensing hungry. Thus my initial problem was not eating enough!

What are your macro splits? Maybe the balance you have isn't right for you. As the others say get carb n protein sorted first. If I have a 200 cal bulletproof coffee at 7am I don't feel hungry until 1230 or 1pm. I eat a little at lunch and am fine until dinner. Caveat: If I eat sugar I can get ravenous
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    All my life the problem has been that I let my tongue tell me when to eat.
    I fight it every day.
    Don't ever give up!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited June 2016
    I have MFP set for 1750 calories, and tend to eat 1400-1800 per day. I'm quite sedentary at the moment, though-- when I'm able to be physically active I'll sometimes eat back 20-50% of my activity calories if I'm hungry.

Focus on getting your protein first, then carbs (veggies etc), and fat as needed to feel full.

And yes, always weigh your foods. No fear in adjusting your calorie limits if you're consistently hungry and meeting your weightloss and fitness goals on the higher calories.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    I fight it every day.
    Don't ever give up!

Like the Gingham Dog and Calico Cat, the Tongue and the Food need to be kept apart unless closely supervised.

Here's the best strategy I've heard:
    PamamaJane wrote: »
    The bin is a good place for all the carb stuff that calls your name.

(As for the Tongue, novacaine, habañeros, and tongue twisters are all I can think of.)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    I fight it every day.
    Don't ever give up!

Yes! I finally realized that I let my stomach control my eating for 40 years - it was time to let my brain take over for awhile. Now i try to consciously choose the food I *should* eat and not worry so much about what I *want* to eat. If they overlap? Bonus!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    The food scale is always busy at my house. I use it when I prep and then again when I sit down to eat. It has a place on the dining room table next to me so when I grab what I think is a 4 ounce burger I can weight it to be sure. I do not use it when I ladle out a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil. I use an actual tablespoon measure for that or I do eye it as after a while you kinda just know. I know that I tend to eye less and record more. So the tablespoon of butter I put on that burger may only be 2.25 tsp. instead. If I find myself back on a path of not losing this is one of the areas I'd shore up.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited June 2016
    You can eat high fat at 1700 calories but high fat means around 70%, not 90%. So you can eat a bunch of low calorie veggies and lean meats and be well under 1700 and still have room for high calorie fats, if that makes sense. If you eat fatty meat then you'll have to cut back on fats somewhere else, like added oils or cheeses.

Example from Friday:

mksek3shn3wc.png

Friday I had teriyaki pork strips with sauce on the side, no rice, and a really big salad for lunch. The salad wasn't fattening so that left me lots of room to have chocolate later :) After eating all that pork plus the chocolate bar I wasn't hungry so I stopped eating once I hit around 1100 calories.

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    You don't have to teach that fat "goal". It's more of a suggestion than a goal to reach. You want to eat enough fat per meal to feel satisfied so that you don't need to eat again til the next meal, but at the end of the day you don't need to hit that number.

What if I'm trying to get into ketosis and staying there, not just low-carb eating?

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited June 2016
    I weigh and track everything. I do believe calories are important, if you eat too many you won't lose weight (if that's your goal). I find it easier to have a coffee in the morning (nothing crazy, just 16g each of butter and cream) and then have lunch and dinner. That way I have plenty of calories for each meal. Often I'll eat a lighter lunch and have some calories left over for that ever tempting evening snack. 2 and a half years Keto and it's a habit I haven't kicked yet - probably because my partner (non-keto) is a big snacker.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    You don't have to teach that fat "goal". It's more of a suggestion than a goal to reach. You want to eat enough fat per meal to feel satisfied so that you don't need to eat again til the next meal, but at the end of the day you don't need to hit that number.

What if I'm trying to get into ketosis and staying there, not just low-carb eating?

You should eat enough fat at each meal that you're satisfied. The rest of the fat your body needs for energy will come from your stored body fat. That's what you want. You make ketones from the fat you eat OR stored body fat. Don't specifically eat extra fat trying to achieve ketosis because that's fat your body could be using from storage instead. :smile:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    bjwoodzy wrote: »

You should eat enough fat at each meal that you're satisfied. The rest of the fat your body needs for energy will come from your stored body fat. That's what you want. You make ketones from the fat you eat OR stored body fat. Don't specifically eat extra fat trying to achieve ketosis because that's fat your body could be using from storage instead. :smile:

Perfect explanation!