Magnesium supplements ranking

Options

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    I understood epsom salt causes diarrhea? My dad used to use it for constipation like 40 years ago.

It is magnesium sulfate. There is 493 mg per teaspoon. They have dosage recommendations for relieving constipation, and it is (I think) 6 to 8 teaspoons.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Sorry... it says "softgel" rather than "gelcap." Either way, mine are hard tablets so I don't know about that. Either what I take was not tested or they made a mistake on that detail.

I take that brand gelcap but not oxide... i take citrate. I wonder if that matters?[/quote]

Citrate would absorb better than oxide by far. I don't understand why any mag oxide would even make the list except to represent what doesn't score well. ???[/quote]

@Sunny_Bunny_ I read an article on this recently because the lady at the pharmacy where I was looking for magnesium asked me why I was looking for glycinate instead of oxide and I told her because it had higher absorption.

She said that was interesting because her cancer doctor advised her to only use oxide.

This made me very curious. The article I read stated that although citrate and glycinate have a better absorption rate they generally contain lesser concentration of magnesium than the oxide which contains more based by weight I guess.

Still doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't matter how much magnesium is in the pill if you aren't absorbing it all! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »

Sorry... it says "softgel" rather than "gelcap." Either way, mine are hard tablets so I don't know about that. Either what I take was not tested or they made a mistake on that detail.

I take that brand gelcap but not oxide... i take citrate. I wonder if that matters?

Citrate would absorb better than oxide by far. I don't understand why any mag oxide would even make the list except to represent what doesn't score well. ???[/quote]

@Sunny_Bunny_ I read an article on this recently because the lady at the pharmacy where I was looking for magnesium asked me why I was looking for glycinate instead of oxide and I told her because it had higher absorption.

She said that was interesting because her cancer doctor advised her to only use oxide.

This made me very curious. The article I read stated that although citrate and glycinate have a better absorption rate they generally contain lesser concentration of magnesium than the oxide which contains more based by weight I guess.

Still doesn't make much sense to me. It doesn't matter how much magnesium is in the pill if you aren't absorbing it all! :)[/quote]

Exactly!
    I guess that was a really old comment of mine. I eventually settled on using magnesium carbonate powder because it was crazy cheap and fairly well absorbed. It worked really well in very large doses when I was having constipation issues. But since going carnivore, I honestly almost never take it anymore.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I guess I did my research thoroughly then too...turns out the kind I get has an A rating (very pleased with self). :)

@ladipoet & @kellryn - Any idea where the other recs came from? Would be really nice to have several different reliable rating sources to work with...

Thx!

@RalfLott...

https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I guess I did my research thoroughly then too...turns out the kind I get has an A rating (very pleased with self). :)

@ladipoet & @kellryn - Any idea where the other recs came from? Would be really nice to have several different reliable rating sources to work with...

Thx!

@RalfLott...

https://labdoor.com/rankings/magnesium

That must have been the former me. What was I thinking? :/

BTW, the updated Fish Oil rankings have a few "ouch" moments, too.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    That must have been the former me. What was I thinking? :/

BTW, the updated Fish Oil rankings have a few "ouch" moments, too.

LOL ;)
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mine's #3. Guess I did okay when I blind bought the other day!

Edited to say: Okay not completely blind. I had all the knowledge gained on this forum...lol
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've been taking doctor's best for a while now. I also had some that weren't rated so well that I'm trying to finish up. I also use magnesium oil on the skin since I've read that you absorb it better that way.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking on this thread, mainly because my brand is on the list and it contains arsenic. I've stopped taking it partly because of that but I'm wondering why no one has dropped over dead from taking it? Not trying to be sarcastic, I'm truly interested. We all know arsenic is a poison when ingested, it's a common murder weapon in Victorian based murder mysteries :p , so why aren't we at least sick? Or are we and don't realize? Just some thoughts that have been rambling around my head.

I've actually decided to stop taking magnesium altogether until I go in for blood work next month. I asked my doctor to test for that as well as iron and vitamin D and if they're low I'll go back to taking a supplement. They already regularly test for sodium and potassium.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking on this thread, mainly because my brand is on the list and it contains arsenic. I've stopped taking it partly because of that but I'm wondering why no one has dropped over dead from taking it? Not trying to be sarcastic, I'm truly interested. We all know arsenic is a poison when ingested, it's a common murder weapon in Victorian based murder mysteries :p , so why aren't we at least sick? Or are we and don't realize? Just some thoughts that have been rambling around my head.
    It's not enough arsenic to poison you outright or they'd take it off the shelf. It's probably in ppm(parts per million) but it can accumulate in the body and cause problems.
    I've actually decided to stop taking magnesium altogether until I go in for blood work next month. I asked my doctor to test for that as well as iron and vitamin D and if they're low I'll go back to taking a supplement. They already regularly test for sodium and potassium.
    Only about 1% of magnesium is in the blood so blood tests are not a good indication of total magnesium in the body.

• LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    Understood about the blood test but I think I would still like it tested, if for no other reason than to convince my doctor of the need for supplements. If I combine the outcome with how I'm feeling it will give me a starting point, anyway.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Understood about the blood test but I think I would still like it tested, if for no other reason than to convince my doctor of the need for supplements. If I combine the outcome with how I'm feeling it will give me a starting point, anyway.

Read The Magnesium Miracle if you want about 1000 reasons to always supplement magnesium.

https://g.co/kgs/J940Wd
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    Thanks! Its not that I don't recognize the importance, it would just be nice to know from a medical standpoint. I've got some fatigue issues that could very well be related to magnesium, but I've always had these issues and I'd like to get to the bottom of them. Maybe I've always been deficient and considering what I ate as a kid, that's entirely possible. But I'd also like to work with my doctor, who rocks, to try and resolve this issue because its getting worse as I age. I KNOW she'll want blood work and I'm trying to be proactive about it. That's why I also asked for vitamin D and iron tests. My iron usually tests fine but vitamin D has been low in the past. I will most likely add the magnesium back in, though.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking my brand, next to last on the listing. I got one of the top ranked ones and have noticed the difference already. Thanks for posting this information. I'm going looking for other labs that might show rankings for other supplements now. New hobby, I guess.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Bumping for anyone looking for a good magnesium
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Bouddie wrote: »
    I understood epsom salt causes diarrhea? My dad used to use it for constipation like 40 years ago.

Did he drink it? Epsom salts can be taken in a liquid (gag!). That would definitely induce the bowels to get moving.

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    [quote="Sunny_Bunny_;c-39444264

Read The Magnesium Miracle if you want about 1000 reasons to always supplement magnesium.

https://g.co/kgs/J940Wd[/quote]

Just an FYI for anyone wanting this book, a new, updated version with 30% new material including updated studies, is coming out Aug 15, 2017.

• RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »

Just an FYI for anyone wanting this book, a new, updated version with 30% new material including updated studies, is coming out Aug 15, 2017.

Until then... be sure to check for magnesium interactions with various classes of OTC and prescription meds.

For many meds, it appears sufficient to space magnesium at least 2 hours apart.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »

Until then... be sure to check for magnesium interactions with various classes of OTC and prescription meds.

@RalfLott - Before I go into a google tornado, any specific links on this one?
  • RalfLott
    edited July 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@RalfLott - Before I go into a google tornado, any specific links on this one?

I found the info at consumerlab.com, which unfortunately requires a paid subscription.

Drugs.com lists the following interactions in the professional product info for magnesium chloride:
    Alfacalcidol: May increase the serum concentration of Magnesium Salts. Consider therapy modification

Alpha-Lipoic Acid: Magnesium Salts may decrease the absorption of Alpha-Lipoic Acid. Alpha-Lipoic Acid may decrease the absorption of Magnesium Salts. Consider therapy modification

Bisphosphonate Derivatives: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Bisphosphonate Derivatives. Management: Avoid administration of oral magnesium salts within: 2 hours before or after tiludronate/clodronate/etidronate; 60 minutes after oral ibandronate; or 30 minutes after alendronate/risedronate. Exceptions: Pamidronate; Zoledronic Acid. Consider therapy modification

Calcitriol (Systemic): May increase the serum concentration of Magnesium Salts. Management: Consider using a non-magnesium-containing antacid or phosphate-binding product in patients also receiving calcitriol. If magnesium-containing products must be used with calcitriol, serum magnesium concentrations should be monitored closely. Consider therapy modification

Calcium Channel Blockers: May enhance the adverse/toxic effect of Magnesium Salts. Magnesium Salts may enhance the hypotensive effect of Calcium Channel Blockers. Monitor therapy

Deferiprone: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Deferiprone. Management: Separate administration of deferiprone and oral medications or supplements that contain polyvalent cations by at least 4 hours. Consider therapy modification

Dolutegravir: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Dolutegravir. Management: Administer dolutegravir at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after oral magnesium salts. Consider therapy modification

Doxercalciferol: May enhance the hypermagnesemic effect of Magnesium Salts. Management: Consider using a non-magnesium-containing antacid or phosphate-binding product in patients also receiving doxercalciferol. If magnesium-containing products must be used with doxercalciferol, serum magnesium concentrations should be monitored closely. Consider therapy modification

Eltrombopag: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Eltrombopag. Management: Administer eltrombopag at least 2 hours before or 4 hours after oral administration of any magnesium-containing product. Consider therapy modification

Gabapentin: Magnesium Salts may enhance the CNS depressant effect of Gabapentin. Specifically, high dose intravenous/epidural magnesium sulfate may enhance the CNS depressant effects of gabapentin. Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Gabapentin. Management: Administer gabapentin at least 2 hours after oral magnesium salts administration. Monitor patients closely for evidence of reduced response to gabapentin therapy. Monitor for CNS depression if high dose IV/epidural magnesium sulfate is used. Consider therapy modification

Levothyroxine: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Levothyroxine. Management: Separate administration of oral levothyroxine and oral magnesium salts by at least 4 hours. Consider therapy modification

Multivitamins/Fluoride (with ADE): Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Multivitamins/Fluoride (with ADE). Specifically, magnesium salts may decrease fluoride absorption. Management: To avoid this potential interaction separate the administration of magnesium salts from administration of a fluoride-containing product by at least 1 hour. Consider therapy modification

Mycophenolate: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Mycophenolate. Management: Separate doses of mycophenolate and oral magnesium salts. Monitor for reduced effects of mycophenolate if taken concomitant with oral magnesium salts. Consider therapy modification

Neuromuscular-Blocking Agents: Magnesium Salts may enhance the neuromuscular-blocking effect of Neuromuscular-Blocking Agents. Monitor therapy

Phosphate Supplements: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Phosphate Supplements. Management: This applies only to oral phosphate and magnesium administration. Administer oral phosphate supplements at least 1 hour before, or 2 hours after, oral magnesium salt administration. Exceptions: Sodium Glycerophosphate Pentahydrate. Consider therapy modification

Quinolone Antibiotics: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Quinolone Antibiotics. Management: Administer oral quinolones several hours before (4 h for moxi- and sparfloxacin, 2 h for others) or after (8 h for moxi-, 6 h for cipro/dela-, 4 h for lome-, 3 h for gemi-, and 2 h for levo-, nor-, or ofloxacin or nalidixic acid) oral magnesium salts. Exceptions: LevoFLOXacin (Oral Inhalation). Consider therapy modification

Raltegravir: Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Raltegravir. Management: Avoid the use of oral / enteral magnesium salts with raltegravir. No dose separation schedule has been established that adequately reduces the magnitude of interaction. Avoid combination

Tetracycline Derivatives: Magnesium Salts may decrease the absorption of Tetracycline Derivatives. Only applicable to oral preparations of each agent. Consider therapy modification

Trientine: May decrease the serum concentration of Magnesium Salts. Magnesium Salts may decrease the serum concentration of Trientine. Consider therapy modification