Beastmode_kitty blog, a huge inspiration worth reading!

Options
TerezaToledo
TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
I was recently introduced to this great blogpost from beastmode_kitty. What an amazing and inspiring journey: https://bmkfitness.wordpress.com/
By the way, her success/journey story will soon be featured on www.EM2WL.com

Tereza
Team EM2WL

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was recently introduced to this great blogpost from beastmode_kitty. What an amazing and inspiring journey: https://bmkfitness.wordpress.com/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

Oh wow!! Thanks so much for posting the link to my blog!! I try to blog when I can about different stuff I see from time to time. I want others to know that all the struggles are real and that there are other people out there who struggle too!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Is it the PRs and NSVs post you are referencing?

If so, it brings up a good question - can you eat at a deficit and not lose muscle? If your protein is high? And still lifting heavy/progressing on your lifts?
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Those where the first ones I read but her whole journey is amazing!

The changes of losing some of the hard earned muscle during a cut are the same as gaining fat while bulking to gain muscle. Keeping the protein high (even increasing it) along with not eating at a big deficit will decrease the chances of losing muscle while losing fat. You main experience a slower progression on your lifts (therefore you should not cut during a strength phase).

This is from an EM2WL article on tips for cutting:

"By consuming less calories you will encourage the body to use more of its own resources for energy, preferably fat stores. During the process, however, we want to minimize lean tissue loss as much as possible. Remember metabolically active tissue (aka muscle) boosts your metabolism rate. Staying on top of your protein intake will aid in keeping it around. In fact, you might consider adding a little extra protein." http://eatmore2weighless.com/10-tips-knock-cutting-phase/

Another article on bulking and cutting:
    "Cutting should be closely monitored and you should try your best not to undo your efforts from your bulk. That’s why I recommend alternating at first. During your cut keep protein levels consistent, cardio moderate (until close to the end), try to let the food do the work, and don’t slash the calories all at once. Give yourself wiggle room as you hit plateaus. My cut is usually during spring, never lasting more than my bulk in length (12-16 weeks is typical). I lose as slow as possible (~.5lb/wk), to prevent muscle loss" http://eatmore2weighless.com/q-a-bulkinghow-long-when-to-cut/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it - 3 stool legs to keeping muscle mass.
    Reasonable deficit.
    More protein than maintenance would need.
    Resistance training.

One being higher can compensate for another being lower - in comparison to like a total balance between the three.

Studies have shown a minor deficit with enough protein with NO resistance training has kept muscle mass.
    Others have shown strength training and enough protein with big deficit keeps muscle mass.

Never seen one with high protein and big deficit though without resistance training. But ones with cardio show LBM kept, but they didn't test for muscle mass, so no clue if muscle was lost and water increased - which it should starting cardio.

Balance between the 3 of course preferred for long term success. Bodybuilders doing cut/bulk routines of course the exception as needed.

It's just a matter of the fact your body tears down some muscle daily, and in maintenance eating with even barely decent levels of protein it'll build back what was torn down.
    That's why some people that were very active and strong, but stopped exercise and only gained weight but not dieted - will still have their strength, enough resources to build back what is torn down.

But introduce the diet, and body is going to decide what is needed or not with limited resources. Resistance training says this muscle is needed, may even be enough to say make a tad more.
    But protein needs to remain at least where it was, which usually doesn't happen in a diet, everything goes down in quantity.
    You want body to only say this fat isn't needed.

Progression is great example that repairs are still being made to muscle. Eventually progress will stop unless you truly eat in surplus in order to build more muscle.

But as weight is loss - keep close eye on leg lifts with whole body, like squat/deadlift.
    If you lose 10 lbs off the body - the weight on the bar better go up 10 lbs to show you didn't lose strength.

That's where you'll see the claims on the forums they gained muscle while losing big amounts of weight.
    They lost 40 lbs, and increased squat 30 lbs.
    Uh - that's a loss of strength, and considering form and CNS should have caused increase anyway, probably bigger than 10 lbs difference lost.
    saranharm wrote: »
    If so, it brings up a good question - can you eat at a deficit and not lose muscle? If your protein is high? And still lifting heavy/progressing on your lifts?

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

Oh wow!! Thanks so much for posting the link to my blog!! I try to blog when I can about different stuff I see from time to time. I want others to know that all the struggles are real and that there are other people out there who struggle too!

very nice write-up and changes and focus now - and love the video link for that music - not heard of him.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

very nice write-up and changes and focus now - and love the video link for that music - not heard of him.

Very inspirational song. Hes an electronica dj. My fav form of music. The lyrics of that song are just amazing!