Help understanding sweeteners please

Options
becwana
becwana Posts: 157 Member
Calling on the wise low carb fonts of knowledge!
I have been helping a friend and her partner who have adopted a keto plan to try and lose weight and improve health. He is t2 diabetic.
She is in ketosis but he is not (they started last Wednesday).
When we talked through what they have been eating / drinking, it turns out that he drinks a litre bottle of flavoured mineral water every day.
It contains sucralose. Could this be the issue?

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Some people have no issues with sweeteners, others can't touch them. Or they may be ok with some and not so with others. Especially in a transition period I'd ditch them all. The "artificial" in the name is a cue that it's not the best "food" to eat every day.

::flowerforyou::
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are you trying to figure out why she's testing positive for ketones and he is not? Are they using urine test strips?
    He may very well actually be making plenty of ketones but just not showing up on the strip.
    Here is a recent discussion about this topic.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10402282/those-useless-ketostix-or-are-they#latest
    Basically, the strips aren't reliable enough to be used as the sole indicator of ketosis. Is he seeing weight loss results? Hunger control? More energy? Those are better things to look for as an indicator of ketosis because a persons individual hydration level can interfere with the test.
    It's also true that for a T2D particularly, artificial sweeteners can and usually do create an insulin response. So, that's certainly a possible issue for him too.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to figure out why she's testing positive for ketones and he is not? Are they using urine test strips?
    He may very well actually be making plenty of ketones but just not showing up on the strip.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10402282/those-useless-ketostix-or-are-they#latest
    Basically, the strips aren't reliable enough to be used as the sole indicator of ketosis. Is he seeing weight loss results? Hunger control? More energy? Those are better things to look for as an indicator of ketosis because a persons individual hydration level can interfere with the test.
    It's also true that for a T2D particularly, artificial sweeteners can and usually do create an insulin response. So, that's certainly a possible issue for him too.

Yes they are using the ketostix - I've always found they worked for me but didn't realise that wasn't true for everyone!
    He has decided to bin the flavoured water - whether or not the sweetener was affecting him or not it can only be a good thing as has artificial flavourings too - plain water definitely a better choice!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @karlottap Gained 20 pounds in a month due to inflammation related to sucralose, if I remember, correctly... Sucralose/Splenda makes my insulin spike, which makes it hard for me to lose weight...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »

Yes they are using the ketostix - I've always found they worked for me but didn't realise that wasn't true for everyone!
    He has decided to bin the flavoured water - whether or not the sweetener was affecting him or not it can only be a good thing as has artificial flavourings too - plain water definitely a better choice!

They've always worked for me too but I also don't drink a lot of fluids. I eat lots of salt and don't ever really feel thirsty. So I figured that's why I can so consistently get a dark purple reading, even after 13 months when they say you waste less over time. Hasn't ever seemed to change for me.