And more help needed please - could this be water retention?

Options
becwana
becwana Posts: 157 Member
As posted previously, I have been helping some friends adapt to a keto plan for health and weight issues.
My friend is in ketosis according to a ketostick - however, she has actually gained 1.5lbs this first week?!
She has been supplementing with potassium, magnesium and sodium and drinking water but she has not had the diuretic effect that I and others had when starting this woe.
Is this worrying that her kidneys have not let go of all the excess fluid? What could be happening?

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Might be that TOM. Medications, body's response to exercise and activity can all play a role too. Stick to it and see what next week brings.

I personally lose like a roller coaster-- a two pound gain, a three pound loss, a seven pound gain, followed by a 10 pound loss. Due to medical treatments, I have up to 14 pound swings in a week, and it was worse at the beginning. Depending on the severity of my underlying disease, I'll drop 10-12 pounds pretty suddenly, only to re-gain it once I'm rehydrated.

But even years ago when I was on a monitored weight loss program I'd lose in fits and starts. It's just my style, I guess.
  • becwana
    Options
    Thanks - I really don't want her to get discouraged as she is so enthusiastic and done so well!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Is there any new exercise?
    Where is she in her monthly cycle? Could certainly explain it.
    Maybe she's getting more sodium than she actually needs.
    In any case, I wouldn't stress it yet. Too soon to decide it "doesn't work".
    Keto has been great for my daughter even though she gained over 20 pounds the last 4 months. She was very unhappy about the weight gain but she was very sick before starting and her body needed the extra weight to heal and bring her back to health. She just now after 4 months has started to lose some of the weight she initially gained upon going Keto.
    It's a path to better health. Sometimes the body has other plans for our weight than we do.
  • becwana
    Options
    Thank you - I chatted with her today and she has said that she is more determined them ever and she trusts the process so I am pleased as I know it will help her so much!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    A pound and 1/2 is a very small amount, I personally have swung 6-8 pounds of water weight (after a fast) in a 24-36 hour period (I had this happen multiple times). So, 1 1/2 pounds in a week isn't barely anything to worry about. A cup of water is 1/2 pound. So that's a mere 3 cups of water.

A few things that cause water retention:

Inflammation from workouts, muscle soreness, certain medications, TOM, bodily injury, cuts and abrasions, excessive salt, mental stress, lack of sleep, fasting, the timing in which she drank her last water, eating food you're allergic to, (and many other things I can't think of right now). Any of these things can swing weight easily by 1 1/2 pounds. When your body recovers from soreness and other inflammations, it will shed the water.

Tell her not to worry. If her water swings 10 lbs in a day or two, maybe worry, but find the root cause.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg
  • becwana
    Options

@DittoDan - thank you - It really did help - she was upset as a 'friend' who has been disparaging about this woe and telling her not to eat high fat as it is bad for her, had text asking how much she had lost - I sent her a pic of your little saying at the bottom of your post and it was just what she needed to see.
    Thanks to you and @Sunny_Bunny_ we think the culprit was actually too much salt!
    oh and incidentally - her weight today was 5.5lbs less then yesterday - weight is a fickle thing!!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    @DittoDan - thank you - It really did help - she was upset as a 'friend' who has been disparaging about this woe and telling her not to eat high fat as it is bad for her, had text asking how much she had lost - I sent her a pic of your little saying at the bottom of your post and it was just what she needed to see.
    Thanks to you and @Sunny_Bunny_ we think the culprit was actually too much salt!
    oh and incidentally - her weight today was 5.5lbs less then yesterday - weight is a fickle thing!!

Very good. That saying is a picture from a fortune cookie that I got when I first started the diet. I have lived this way all my life, and keto is no exception.

Dan the Man from Michigan

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    So happy she has seen a big whoosh! Keep Calm and Keto On! :smiley:
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    So happy she has seen a big whoosh! Keep Calm and Keto On! :smiley:

YUP, you got that right! I can tell when I am going to have a whosh, is when I pee a lot at night. Usually the biggest losses through water are when I water fast for 36 hrs.

Dan