Summer Dinner Ideas

Options
Vickie002
Vickie002 Posts: 8 Member
Hi, I am looking for low calorie dinner ideas that won't heat up the house this summer. Any thoughts???

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I use my crock pot a lot as well as the bbq. We eat lots of sandwiches and salads too
  • pana145
    pana145 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Here is one summer recipe I love making, unfortunately we do not have our barque anymore since we moved so the oven will make due until we get a new one. I recommend using a barque during the summer, it gives a nice taste to the meat and is a different way to prepare your dinners!

Summer dinner recipe

4 ounces chicken with mango cucumber salsa ( recipe listed below)
    Arugula or if you prefer a different salad with 1/4 avocado
    Steamed broccoli with orange zest

Here is the mango salsa recipe

1 whole mango; chopped
    1 Kirby cucumber; small diced pieces
    Juice of a lime
    1/2 small raw red onion
    Cilantro (optional)
    1/2 roasted jalapeno
    Preparation

The spiciness is primarily from seeds. To roast jalapeno just throw on open flame until skin starts to blacken. Combine all ingredients and spoon on top of fish or chicken. Serving size is 2-3 tbsp. Original recipe makes 1 Serving.

This recipe is from the book called The Plan by Lyn Genet. Here is her website if you want to take a closer look into what she does. http://lyngenet.com/

She helped me understand why the foods I was eating may not be the best for my chemistry and taught me alternatives that helped me feel better and slim down while eliminating these foods I thought were healthy for me!

• debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Options
    Recipe Swap!
    Lunch prep ideas.

Fearfulowl25Fearfulowl25
    June 11, 2016 11:31AM in Social Groups
    Anyone have easy lunch prep ideas? I'm tired of ham and mustard sandwiches.. Lol thanks!!!
    Quote Like Awesome
    debhaley1debhaley1
    June 12, 2016 3:38PM
    Chicken vegie salad with quinoa, makes enough for the whole week with extra
    2 cucumbers chopped
    2 avocado chopped
    4 firm roma tomatoes chopped
    1 medium red onion chopped
    3 large poached chicken breast chopped
    1.5 to 2 cups cooked quinoa
    Juice of one large lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste
    4 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil
    4 tablespoons of vinegar

Put all the chopped goodies in a large bowl, add lemon juice and stir well. Then add olive oil and vinegar, stir well and refrigerate. You can eat this as a dish alone, make it a wrap, put it over cold pasta or in a pita.

To poach the chicken, I use my electric pressure cooker, 2 cups water or broth, garlic. Toss in a family pack of skinless, boneless breasts. Set it for the 12 minutes and quick release. Let it cool and chop away.

P.s. I mix it up a lot by using different dressings in place of the oil and vinegar. I have used pesto sauce, raspberry vinegarette, spicy italian. I have also used shrimp in place of chicken. I make it this size and 3 of us eat it for lunch for 5 days with a fruit on the side.
    I hope that you will try it. Enjoy
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Heat Wave Salad

2 bunches fresh spinach
    1/2 lb. silken firm tofu, crumbled
    1 c. canned chick peas, drained
    1 c. frozen peas, thawed
    1 med. cucumber, sliced
    1 pt. cherry or grape tomatoes
    1 c. fresh blueberries
    1 c. fresh strawberries, sliced
    1 c. mandarin orange sections
    4 oz. cheddar cheese, cubed
    1/2 c. walnuts, pecans, or almonds

Clean and prepare veggies and fruits. In a large salad bowl, toss together with tofu. Top with nuts and cheese, and serve with the dressing of your choice.

I started making this salad some years ago, during a miserably hot, humid Ohio summer. I was a vegetarian at the time, and lived on the top floor of a duplex. With no air conditioning. It very quickly came to the point that I knew cooking just was not going to happen. So I went grocery shopping, bought up a bunch of items that grabbed my attention. When I came home, I made that salad, and lived on it until the heat broke. My favorite way to have it, is with a drizzle of both bleu cheese and Catalina dressings.

• batmanatgrind
    batmanatgrind Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of salads with chicken that I marinated and then grilled. My typical chicken marinade is honey, onion powder, salt and orange juice. I cook it in white wine. Then I make my roasted veggies. I usually use zucchini and yellow squash and season them with poultry seasoning and I drizzle olive oil on them. Once the veggies and chicken are done I take out my bowl and put baby spinach at the bottom of my bowl then I add my roasted veggies and chicken and boom baby I gots me a yummy salad.
  • jnpaul3
    jnpaul3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just had two mini Greek turkey burgers for dinner. Of coarse I added a dollop of steak sauce on top of each. Very good! I bought them pre made from Wegmans grocery store and just grilled them. 130 calories, 3 grams of carbohydrates and 7 grams of fat! Add 30 calories for the steak sauce. I paired it with a cucumber, onion, feta and olive salad. Delicious!
  • jnpaul3
    jnpaul3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just made a crustless spinach and bacon quiche. I also used low fat half and half. It was really good. My husband even liked it!
  • DawnC76
    DawnC76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above users. Crockpot meals are great. I made a marinade today of 1/2Cup of Soy, 1/2 Cup Honey, 1/4 Cup of Ketchup, Basil TBSP, Oregano 1/2 TBSP sprinkle of red pepper flakes and 2 garlic cloves chopped. Place 6-8 Chicken thighs w skin and 16-20oz red potatoes, bag of baby carrots and cook low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Add green beans at the end for 30-60 minutes. Viola. The whole family loved it.