Anyone ever use maca root?

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 - Even though you don't think you have PCOS (which you may or may not, as you have a few symptoms that may or may not be connected), I would still pop over to the PCOS group to ask this question. I know it has been discussed there before with several who have used it for hormone regulation and as a conception aid. Even though you don't have all the same issues some of those ladies do, you do have a lot of hormone related things in common.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @auntstephie321 - Even though you don't think you have PCOS (which you may or may not, as you have a few symptoms that may or may not be connected), I would still pop over to the PCOS group to ask this question. I know it has been discussed there before with several who have used it for hormone regulation and as a conception aid. Even though you don't have all the same issues some of those ladies do, you do have a lot of hormone related things in common.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

thank you, I posted it in the ttc group I'm in where others have used it as well. I was just curious if anyone here had experience with it as well. I think its unlikely I have pcos, I know that it can manifest in different ways, however I've had multiple ultra sounds and testing over the years and nothing has shown anything, as well as my cycles are very regular and have never had issue with that. I think much of our struggle comes from timing and low libido, which is what brought me to the maca as its been shown in many cases to increase libido especially in the males from the ttc group.

I couldn't care less about any studies out there regarding basically anything, as pretty much all of them contradict each other and/or are proven to be flawed at some later point in time, after they've already presented themselves to be accurate. They're a waste of my time, I truly only care what others who have used it have to say.

I've checked out that group in the past and have referred a few people form the ttc group over there for more info, and alternative ideas.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm in total agreement, that the crowdsourcing/social group anecdotal information sharing is far more useful to me, personally, because if there is any single thing EVER that is supposed to happen, with me it never does or does it completely differently than expected. FFS, I was passing gallstones WHILE pregnant and after - and it still took them 6 weeks to figure it out.

https://getreferralmd.com/2013/09/healthcare-social-media-statistics/

Besides, if a combination of things has worked consistently for groups, and medical science has yet to catch up - like say to the seeming "magic" of low carb high fat moderate protein or ketogenic diets - crowdsourcing is a new medical trend! Medical crowdsourcing can often find one tiny symptom that might have been ignored that lead to better understandings of things - I know it did for me personally
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My experience: I took maca for almost 2 years as part of my morning smoothie routine 7 days a week (maca + amazing grass + hemp protein + raw cacao + milk substitute), with an inositol chaser for year 2...and it did not have any positive benefits for me for conception or improvement of menstrual irregularities (ended up eventually being diagnosed with PCOS).

I didn't mind the taste, I actually liked it. There was maybe a slight energy boost over just the Amazing Grass + cacao...but not enough to justify the carb increase for me (or added expense).

LCHF + Inositol + Metformin was apparently the secret to unlocking my iron-clad ovaries after nearly 6 years of trying to conceive :smile: . (During this time, I was still doing daily protein shakes for breakfast most mornings of the week-- but no maca other than the small % that is in Amazing Grass). I'm currently 24weeks pregnant...and so far so good! [knocks on wood]

Good luck!!

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My husband has been on maca for probably 6 months now for cholesterol balancing. He is almost 50 and definitely has much more interest in sex when he takes his maca. No negative side effects have been noted so far.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    My experience: I took maca for almost 2 years as part of my morning smoothie routine 7 days a week (maca + amazing grass + hemp protein + raw cacao + milk substitute), with an inositol chaser for year 2...and it did not have any positive benefits for me for conception or improvement of menstrual irregularities (ended up eventually being diagnosed with PCOS).

I didn't mind the taste, I actually liked it. There was maybe a slight energy boost over just the Amazing Grass + cacao...but not enough to justify the carb increase for me (or added expense).

LCHF + Inositol + Metformin was apparently the secret to unlocking my iron-clad ovaries after nearly 6 years of trying to conceive :smile: . (During this time, I was still doing daily protein shakes for breakfast most mornings of the week-- but no maca other than the small % that is in Amazing Grass). I'm currently 24weeks pregnant...and so far so good! [knocks on wood]

Good luck!!

Congratulations! Fingers crossed for a happy and healthy baby!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    My husband has been on maca for probably 6 months now for cholesterol balancing. He is almost 50 and definitely has much more interest in sex when he takes his maca. No negative side effects have been noted so far.

What kind is he taking?