Running

Options
ogosun
ogosun Posts: 175 Member
On keto for 4 weeks. Full on keto but my running has slowed down. Will the speed increase once my body fully adapts to fat burning mode? Anyone?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Yes, your speed will return/increase once it fully adapts.

You may be in ketosis, yes, but it takes longer for your body to adapt to its running on ketones mode. The timeline is differently for everyone, but I saw a return to my regular work load (for lifting) within six weeks.

Keep up your sodium levels - that is very important to keep from getting headaches and a proper balance of electrolytes can help your performance.
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you so much S for your reply. I am having headaches not intaking enough sodium. Great advice! Happy to hear i will be increasing my running speed eventually. I was upset with my sluggish speed. thanks again!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You're welcome.

Easy way to get in sodium is to eat pickles or have some broth.

I did a hike this weekend where it was quite hot and did not consume enough sodium. I ended up with a wild headache from sweating everything out. I came home, ate three pickles, and I felt better within 20 minutes.

While low carb, we need more sodium than the standard diet. This is to keep a proper balance in the body - the more water you lose, the more sodium you need.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation in late May and had the same thing... did some hiking at Zion (my profile pic came from that) and some other spots. I had a lot of sausages (the snack sticks, not the kind that needs refrigeration and cooking) and used those for energy and sodium.
  • DeSterren
    DeSterren Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This explains my migraine like headache today!! Worked out a lot yesterday and have been in so much pain. Good to know about pickles.