The truth comes out (cholesterol)

Options
lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
After all my worry about my cholesterol going up when I went keto, I finally got to see the results for myself, compare them with my earlier results, and the only thing that went up, even eating a lot of saturated fat, was my HDL. My LDL actually went down. Testimonial over. Low carb definitely works for me.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. That's terrific news!! Keep up the great work!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congratulations!! Peace of mind never hurts! :blush:
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Congrats!!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    My triglycerides were fine anyway, and they went down too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's great news!
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Spread the word.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    May I ask, what fitness and how often?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/09/low-fat-diets-and-exercise-are-pointless-for-losing-weight-warns/

This is from the UK where they are calling 'established' science bad science. Times are changing hoping to reduce health care costs by preventing disease by the way one eats.

Great results @lithezebra.
  • LINIA
    Options
    telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/09/low-fat-diets-and-exercise-are-pointless-for-losing-weight-warns/

This is from the UK where they are calling 'established' science bad science. Times are changing hoping to reduce health care costs by preventing disease by the way one eats.

Great results @lithezebra.

Excellent article, the tone was appropriately "stern" ......it's so important to accept that it is not possible to continue to pay healthcare costs for so many obesity related diseases, due to the UK system of providing healthcare, they're facing an urgent issue.

In a related subject, the city of Philadelphia is looking at a "sugar " tax......

• lithezebra
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    May I ask, what fitness and how often?

@LINIA - I do easy cardio everyday for at least 30 minutes, (by easy I mean <70% of my HR max), and high intensity cardio for 15-20 minutes twice a week. I also do full body strength training twice a week, and I sneak in some yoga everyday. I'm a former competitive athlete who has learned about the importance of rest and recovery the hard way.

BUT, I was already exercising, before the changes in my HDL, so I think it's the increase in fats, and the decrease in sugar and carbs, that have made my HDL go up by 14 points, my LDL go down by 4, and my trigs go down by 10.

That said, I still have a high total cholesterol, with an awesome ratio of about 1:1, but closer to 300 than 200. My next step is to find more ways to replace saturated fats with monounsaturated fats, without eating polyunsaturated fats, and keep my fiber intake high.

@GaleHawkins - thanks for the article!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    After all my worry about my cholesterol going up when I went keto, I finally got to see the results for myself, compare them with my earlier results, and the only thing that went up, even eating a lot of saturated fat, was my HDL. My LDL actually went down. Testimonial over. Low carb definitely works for me.

So happy to hear this. I just had my cholesterol checked and it was high, my ldl was high but triglycerides fine. I've only been doing LCHF for 11 months so I'm hoping that the longer I do it and the more I master it, things will even out.
    Thank you for sharing this information!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

So happy to hear this. I just had my cholesterol checked and it was high, my ldl was high but triglycerides fine. I've only been doing LCHF for 11 months so I'm hoping that the longer I do it and the more I master it, things will even out.
    Thank you for sharing this information!

I don't think that medical science has gotten a handle on what cholesterol levels mean. Low trigs are good, especially if LDL is high. My LDL is high too. If your ratio is good, and your trigs are low, it may not be a problem at all.
  • LINIA
    Options
    I know we'd all appreciate definitive answers about the numbers for HDL/LDL/Triglycerides, am thinking that with the fitness, our WOE is not harmful.
    Agree @lithezebra - very good results!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    koochhill wrote: »
    I go june 29th for my annual exam. Very nervous about my numbers which were always decent before lchf. I will post after I get the results. My weight is down 25 lbs after 5 months with bout 10 to go.

Good job @koochhill ! Your weight loss success is a reason for optimism. Losing any extra weight usually helps cholesterol.