New here:)

Options
autumnsquirrel
autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
Hi! It's so nice to have found a group for Hypothyroidism. 3 years ago, I was diagnosed with it, and 2.5 years ago, I decided to do something about the extra weight I was carrying. I am 75 pounds down----no easy feat:( It is at a snail's pace. To accurately describe it, I feel like a motor that is smoking and smoking, the engine is running and trying to move, it works very hard, but not much happens:/ I still have weight to lose and no matter how clean I eat, and all the exercise I do, I am a hamster on a wheel. Vented on the Community boards the other day about how I feel like what's the use. Some days I want to give up. I will keep going, hoping to keep fighting this. I take Levothyroxine and the dosage has not needed any changing these past few years. I work out diligently and use a heart rate monitor to make things more challenging. The diet, though, is really the most challenging. Thank you for having this group. I will keep referring to it for sure. PS; when I have mentioned my thyroid problem, people say "oh is THAT all..."---maybe if they were ungodly fatigued for no reason, they would understand.

Replies

• angelamendieta
    Options
    How long has it taken you to lose the 91lbs? Yes I want to punch people in the face when they are like mmm just don't eat mcDs! I don't freaking eat junk! I've probably been eating a 1500 calorie diet for years and still gained about 8lbs per year. And of ourse the "lazy" comments...aghhh I'm just tired! It's not my damn fault I could sleep 20hrs every day. Lol so yes I hear you. Snails pace accurately describes it. I tell people...I have to work 10xs harder than a normal person for each lb I lose. My neighbor proved my theory correct in July. I began to drag her with me biking 5xs per week for about 90 minutes (on top of my 60 min with a personal trainer). So I was busting my *kitten* for almost 3hrs every day and eating like a bird...she did not change her diet (just added the biking with me) and while I lost something like 2lbs she lost 8lbs (over a 4-5 week period) unfair. But slow and steady and now I am grateful for my slow initial weight loss bc my skin seems to be holding up well and I may (keeping fingers crossed) get away with almost no excess skin! ( I use cocoa butter like crazy since march when I began this journey)
  • LisaWill86
    LisaWill86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I soooo know what you mean about the "is THAT all" comments. A close second is "Maybe this is just the way you are"... Grr... I really feel like until you have suffered through hypothyroidism, there is NO possible way that you can begin to understand what it feels like. I know my friends and family are trying to be supportive in their own ways, but some thoughts are just better kept to yourself. :)
  • angelamendieta
    Options
    Yes. I say that all the time. I know you THINK you are being helpful and supportive- but you are not. Sometimes I just need to wallow in my misery and loneliness
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    How long has it taken you to lose the 91lbs? Yes I want to punch people in the face when they are like mmm just don't eat mcDs! I don't freaking eat junk! I've probably been eating a 1500 calorie diet for years and still gained about 8lbs per year. And of ourse the "lazy" comments...aghhh I'm just tired! It's not my damn fault I could sleep 20hrs every day. Lol so yes I hear you. Snails pace accurately describes it. I tell people...I have to work 10xs harder than a normal person for each lb I lose. My neighbor proved my theory correct in July. I began to drag her with me biking 5xs per week for about 90 minutes (on top of my 60 min with a personal trainer). So I was busting my *kitten* for almost 3hrs every day and eating like a bird...she did not change her diet (just added the biking with me) and while I lost something like 2lbs she lost 8lbs (over a 4-5 week period) unfair. But slow and steady and now I am grateful for my slow initial weight loss bc my skin seems to be holding up well and I may (keeping fingers crossed) get away with almost no excess skin! ( I use cocoa butter like crazy since march when I began this journey)

Hi:) It has taken me 2 years. It's about finding the right fuel, too, which can be maddening.I felt deprived and resentful at first, but then I was feeling better and seeing results, so I kept going.
  • autumnsquirrel
    Options
    I soooo know what you mean about the "is THAT all" comments. A close second is "Maybe this is just the way you are"... Grr... I really feel like until you have suffered through hypothyroidism, there is NO possible way that you can begin to understand what it feels like. I know my friends and family are trying to be supportive in their own ways, but some thoughts are just better kept to yourself. :)
    My husband is the only one in my circle truly supportive as he has seen it take over. He has watched me go through it. The other day, I had a lot of running around to do and didn't eat much. I texted him that I was so very tired and hungry and that I was on my way. He said "You really need to make sure you eat in your condition."It's true. Don't skip any meals and if you can, take fruit/nuts/healthy snack with you on the go, or you will really feel it. It's like a hung over feeling.