How are you supplementing electrolytes?

Options
subk3
subk3 Posts: 5 Member
I've been on a LC WOE for a couple plus years now. I never did the whole deep dive into prolonged ketosis, but just by reducing carb intake over the course of a year or so down to about 30-50 a day I lost 20 pounds then staying LCs at 50 -70 a day has kept it off for a year and a half. I don't do anything additional as far as supplements, but I'm wondering if I should change that.

I've generally been carrying a good deal of water weight--I notice it most in my hands with tight rings. I exercise regularly. To throw fire on things I've got a 5-6 can a day diet coke habit. (Hey, I don't do drugs, smoke, drink excessively and I've given up sugar--I've got to have some kind of bad habit or I'll be difficult to live with!)

So, do most of you supplement electrolytes? Does my diet coke thing effect how much supplementing I should do? If you think I should supplement, can you give me some direction as to how to do that? (Drinking 2 cups of broth a day probably isn't going to happen...what are my alternatives?)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Pickles, sodium tablets, avocado for the potassium

You can make a drink called ketoade which has salt, lite salt, and water flavouring such as Mio.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Bacon has lots of sodium. I just took a trip in May and was doing a lot of hiking and was hot. I could tell from the headache and hunger that I needed sodium. Fortunately, I foresaw this possibility and had brought a big stash of those sausage sticks - ones that do not need to be refrigerated because of cured meat. It really helped. Also, I take magnesium supplements. On occasion, I add flavored sodium tablets to my water.

ETA: I consume a lot of Diet Pepsi myself, especially a lot while on that trip, but still needed more sodium.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I use sodium chloride tablets to supplement right at 4000 mg (minimum), and magnesium citrate capsules are 400 mg. I have been LCHF, primarily ketogenic, for 14 months, and still have to maintain a daily electrolyte focus. It's simple enough, though, and keeps me feeling good! I will add a 99 mg potassium citrate if I feel it's needed, depending on what I eat.

I'm not condemning the diet coke, but the sucralose can be very inflammatory to the body! For some more than others, yet, some won't have any problems with it! I didn't know I had a problem with it until I had eliminated it for six months, then added it back (was in the sugar free coffee syrup I began adding to my coffee). The inflammation I experienced was eye opening, to say the least!
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I take 2000 mg if sodium on workout days. 1000 mg otherwise.

It's too little though. I get light headed when I stand up too quickly on workout days.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat pickles and take sodium tablets. I used to drink bullion, but kinda been forgetting last few weeks to do so. I should start that back up as I've been having mild leg cramps lately. When I do get a cramp, I take a few sips of pickle juice and it clears it right up, with-in minutes.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Food first. Salted hard boiled eggs...etc. which is not enough on days I push myself. I also fill capsules with Celtic mineral salts, take one two depending on my activity for the day. I can really feel the difference if I don't. I also take magnesium and a low dose of pottasium daily, and put mineral drops in my water (flavored with a stevia water enhancer).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This thread reminded me I need to throw a couple of bullion cubes in my purse just in case AND look for sodium tablets which will be much more convenient. Thanks!
  • 1Kristana
    1Kristana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take about 3 Pink Himalayan salt caps a day. You can fill your own or get them pre-filled from Amazon. Magnesium(400 mg) and occasionally Potassium.