Open Water Swims and/or Triathlon???

spring913
spring913 Posts: 158 Member
I decided this week that next summer (2017 ha) I'm going to do a Women's Sprint Triathlon in a town near me. I'm not worried about the swim distance as it's only 375m. But, open water swimming and swimming with all those bodies around me will be unfamiliar territory.

I know it's a long long way off. But does anyone have any experience with either/both? Any hints, tips, training suggestions?

Replies

• buniphuphu
    buniphuphu Posts: 288 Member
    Good luck! I haven't done a tri before, but they look like a lot of fun.

That being said, I would suggest doing some training in open water to prepare because conditions differ in open water compared with a lap pool.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Is there a trainng group in the area? My friend found a local tri training group that trained weekly at the lake where the event would be held. They also trained all 3 portions. Also check out the Y. I noticed that mine has a tri trainng group.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Definitely some training would be good if you can find some sessions to attend.
    Build sighting practise into your daily swims, get used to swimming in the bubbles of the person in front and benefitting from the drafting effect. If you swim with friends, get them to every now and then nudge you, pull a leg, tap you on the head etc so you get used to being jostled around a bit.

When it comes to race day, if you want to avoid the worst of the washing machine effect then start at the back and count to 3 after the gun goes, you can always catch up and overtake ppl if you’re a faster swimmer, you can even jump forwards drafting one person then the next, or you could start to the very edge, you’ll likely have further to swim this way but again, it’ll keep you out of the worst of it and is my preferred method. Watch out for this turn at the buoy as that’s the worst bit where ppl bunch up and get dunked etc.

In the pool, as well as sighting practise, get used to breathing bilaterally and solely to your weaker side in case you need to do it in the race, also practice some hypoxic work - do 4 x 200m sets of 50m breathing every 3 strokes, then 50m breathing every 5 strokes, then 7, then 9. It’ll help you in case you miss a breath in the race. Don’t worry if you can’t do this straight off, build up to it, do 3,5,5,7 or 3,5,7,7 etc. Or... reverse it. It’s easier to do 9,7,5,3 as the 9 is then after your recovery when you’re more rested.

Hope some of these tips help :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    @sarabushb is right on. I wouldn't worry too much, however. Most of the events are run for amateurs, so they start in the water (no running down the beach) and get people to spread out. If you stand with people that look some things like you and with good distance between you, things will go easy.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    The season has started! Just did the "Swim the Charles" event. Many more to come!