Mobility Challenged

Options
krythie
krythie Posts: 84 Member
Found your group and glad to know other folks are on this app that are challenged, when it comes to exercising. I have arthritis in both my knees, my back, shoulder and hands. Walking is difficult on most days, especially after I come home from work...I am a nurse. I'm trying to avoid surgery and pain meds. I do go to acupuncture about every 7-10 days and that is helping keep me upright, thanks to my wonderful acupuncture doctor. Eating healthy can be hard for me, because I become exhausted easily during food preparation...all that standing and moving about the kitchen cases pain in my knees and legs that can be unbearable. Therefore, I find myself buying already prepared foods from the deli. I know that this is unhealthy eating, but I can't seem to motivate myself to cook at home. I am looking for delicious, healthy recipes that use minimal ingredients and take less than 15 minutes to prepare. Also does anyone have any ideas for me regarding safe, simple exercises (no floor exercises) for leg strengthening. Walking for exercise is out of the question.

Replies

• cjdsign
    cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi Krythie, So glad you found us!! And Welcome, Glad you posted this topic, as we are all disabled or differently-abled of one sort or the other. Exercising is tough for all of us here, some of us are challenged more than others, but we all totally understand what you are going through. Do look through the other topics for information, ideas and recipes. I know that it is difficult to do most things. However, that being said, I am permanently disabled and don't/can't work. I do bursts of activity for 15 mins to 30 mins depending on the activity, or as I call it therapy! :)

As far as food prep, I know it is hard for you, but when you are making a meal, make enough for two meals or more, the oven can hold quite a few and freeze the extra ones and eat one.

Also, when you get your veggies from the store, after resting from the trip & unloading them, go back and prep them. Put them each in baggies and load them into your fridge. This way, you have snacks that are easy to grab and stuff prepped for salads, stir-fry, soups, casseroles, or crock potting it!

And don't forget that grabbing a potato, putting broccoli and cheese on it will make a nice easy meal.

Also, when you cook your meats, shred the extra, baggie it up and use it on your salads, soups, casseroles.

I often soak a bag of beans overnight, then the next AM, rinse them, put them in the crock pot, drop in some carrots, celery, onion (that have been prepped) and some chicken or beef flavoring and then set it to 8 to 10 hrs and when I get in, dinner is ready.

Casseroles can be frozen, so can soup & bean soup too! I use bags, as they are easier for me and clean up is rinsing and putting in the recycle bin. They also lay flat and freeze faster than the containers. They label easily with a Sharpie. I use the date I freeze and just rotate the stacks around so the food gets used.

If you have to get canned, get low or no salt. I can my own veggies, stews, soups and meats, jellies, pickles, chili & sauce. But I don't use the "extra salt", with the exception of meats. I also grow and dry my own seeds and herbs. This is a year long process for me and I do a little each day and wow what a difference.

Check your local thrifts for crock pot, casserole dishes with or without lids, a blender, toaster, and such as they will be cheaper and ck to see they work before buying. Most places let you do that.

I just found a crock pot for $4 at the thrift; this after my Stepson left a meal in mine at his house the other day. I chucked that one and got a new one...The other was growing science stuff and I am toxic to molds!! LOL

I hope this can get you started. I have a difficult time standing. I found a $5 backed stool that sits in the kitchen and I use it when I am doing dishes, cooking and cutting. I sit down to cut as my disability also includes neuropathy in both legs and feet, and co-ordination is a bother. :dizzy:

Again, Welcome!! And we are so glad to have you! Since you are a Nurse, I am sure you are a plethora of information for ideas on many things, please add your ideas, recipes, etc. to the other topics! Hugs, CJ
  • loobe1066
    loobe1066 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hi Krythie, I am also a nurse and have Osteoarthritis in both knees, hips and si joints. I am not surprised walking is difficult especially after a day's work. Have you thought about cycling it's good exercise non weight bearing and will strengthen muscles around the knees. I sometimes find riding a bike difficult therefore under my desk at work I have one of those peddle things so I can sit and peddle away for 5 minutes here and there between visits
  • krythie
    krythie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement. My MD suggested biking, both stationary and out in the neighborhood, as an excellent way to strengthen my inner thighs. So that is an AMEN to his suggestion! My job is so hard and I am on my feet racing around for hours at a time. I am slowing down lately since my last illness...never quite got my rocketing energy back. Plus now with the arthritis in my other knee, my gait is weird and people are constantly asking me if I'm okay (which can be annoying after the 100th time). Exaggerating, but you get the picture. I manage to keep my sense of humor and fun. Concentrating on keeping a soft gaze and friendly manner, even when I am feeling like I can't see one more patient. By the time I get home I just want to crawl into bed, and the last thing on my mind is exercising. I do count my many miles walked at work as exercise though. That is a nifty idea regarding the peddling device. I will look into it. I am sure I could find one on Amazon!