Introducing myself

Options
lipglossjunky73
lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
Hi everyone!

This will be very long - I appreciate you reading but will understand if it's too much. I have a ton of questions.

I just got tested for hypothyroidism. I haven't got the results back but in the meantime I have been doing a ton of research.

Would love feedback and advice....

I am fit, active, rarely overeat, and am a vegetarian.

Throughout the last few years, my weight has crept up. I attributed it to maybe working out less.... I used to be a fitness instructor and stopped. I still ran and worked out, just not as much.

I also occasionally have wine or beer. Not always, but on a weekend I like to have a little.

I eat tons of soy though because being a vegetarian, I'm not much of a cook. I like veggies but defaulted to soy for my protein. I don't eat a lot of carbs, but enough to say that I eat them, if that makes sense. I do eat processed food too.

Despite me feeling like I live a fit and healthy lifestyle, my weight kept creeping up. I figured if I stopped weighing myself and just focused on my diet and exercise, it would fall back into place.

Each doctor appointment I'd see another 5-10 lb increase. So I started eliminating more junky things, watched my intake, etc.

This past year I suffered a devastating job situation that knocked me out. I have struggled with fatigue and depression the last few years, but this one did me in completely. I worked out less, but I also rarely ate. I slept a lot. Always tired. Lost all interest in going out and doing anything. I pushed myself to do workouts because I knew it was important, so I still kept that up. Just not at full capacity.

Despite all of that - I gained 15 lbs. there were days when I maybe only ate a few hundred calories- not on purpose - simply because I lost my appetite.

In the last 3 years, I have gained 30 lbs. I know it's not astronomical, but on my frame it's pretty significant. Plus - I feel so sluggish and foggy.

I broke down and cried to my doctor there oin the room. She prescribed a thyroid test. The girl taking my blood happened to have Hashimotos, so she asked me questions:

Yes I have been exhausted
Yes I feel sluggish and foggy all the time.
Yes I wake up exhausted
Yes I have been depressed
Yes I have had anxiety attacks

I thought it was all because of my job but looking back I have had those issues the last few years - specifically around the time ther weight started creeping up. I thought it was because of my weight gain, but maybe it's a chicken or the egg thing. Someone asked if I lose hair in the shower. I never noticed but this morning I noticed strands coming out every time I move my fingers through it.

Does this all sound like I might test positive for hypothyroidism or Hashimotos?

In my research I saw the biggest culprits for thyroid issues are soy and gluten. I got tested on Friday. Today is Sunday. Yesterday I hit the gluten free market near us and bought a few things. My husband is very supportive and all about healthy eating so he's on board with having GF stuff (we had a nice pasta last night). I have decided to eliminate gluten and soy and see how I feel. Also decrease my sugar intake (mostly fruit - I do love fruit!)) I am back to logging on here.

Let's say it is positive - do I have to start medication immediately? Or can I continue with my elimination diet and maintain thyroid health that way?

Obviously - my priority (besides health) is my weight. But I also want my energy back and get rid of this brain fog. If I just monitor closely what I eat and keep my sugar down, on top of keeping soy and gluten at bay, do I have a shot at getting my life back?

Thanks for reading!!!!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I really would like to think you are crossing bridges before you get to them.

Have you come across the web site "Stop the thyroid madness", there is also a book by the way. Many of us find this site very helpful, not least that it has a list of all the other symptoms which can be caused by being hypothyroid. Another site says there are 300 possible symptoms we "choose" our own group. STTM also has a list of doctors who have a proven track record when it comes to treatment of thyroid issues, unfortunately having a diagnosis does not always bring a speedy recovery. I'm pleased you are doing your own research most of us find it helpful.

It would be good if your doctor requested a full thyroid panel, this can be done from one sample. I expect you have read of the t4 and t3, there are also antibody tests which would indicate if you have Hashimotos thyroiditis, this is the most common form of hypothyroidism when the immune system is involved. Most of us here who ask and answer questions are hashi. Then there are the tests to determine if the t3 is the active kind. Treatment for most of us will be the same.

Whether or not you are started on a treatment immediately will depend on your doctor, some like you to visit an endocrinologist first. If you are looking for an alternative approach to medication I would look for a doctor who takes a more Functional approach. This person will help you track down the best way for you to support what thyroid function you have. This could include tests for allergies and intolerance's to start to relieve the pressure on you immune system, particularly if you are a Hashi person. Much will depend on the guidance you receive from your original doctor. This is such a broad topic when what I think you are looking for is general information. Achieving a better quality of life is do-able.

As you say soy and gluten can be an issues as can dairy but this is not always so. You are right to try avoiding things but be prepared to add things back if you feel no benefit within a week or so. (I tested positive for casein intolerance, the protein in milk and felt better in a couple of days. I was not perfect just a bit further along the road) Turning to soy as a vegetarian can be tempting. Eggs can be useful. We find beans useful though we use the tinned ones, we don't have to remember to re-hydrate them. Health related programs I've been watching or listening to recently seem to be saying we, people in general, should include more nuts in our diet. Please be aware, if you are hypothyroid this slows your metabolism as does keeping to a calorie restriction for a long time. Weight loss can be difficult but it is possible when you find what works for you. Reducing carbs has helped quite a few on here.

I hope all goes well for you when you receive your results. Please let me know how you get on.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Too early to tell. As Fuzzipeg recommended, you need to request a full thyroid panel (not just TSH) and review this with your physician - an endocrinologist specifically.

Having said that you are describing classic hypothyroid symptoms. Don't alter diet at this point as you'll end up chasing ghosts and there isn't much scientific data to support a link. Research the work of Dr. Jeffrey Brown, Endocrinologist - he revolutionized the treatment of thyroid issues in professional athletes. My endo is now following his regimen and I can personally attest to the results.

• sammyre12
    sammyre12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you test positive I would highly recommend ndt--a natural desiccated thyroid. Most doctors won't prescribe them. They will only prescribe levothyroxine and synthroid. Do not take those. Please read online about them and I agree with the other person about joining the Stop the thyroid madness group. They advocate alot for ndt which has changed my life. Also if you do have hypo you need to stay away from soy. Read gluten free labels if you buy processed because a lot of them substitute with soy in their ingredients. Try also to stay away from dairy. Their is even some healthy foods they recommend to avoid because it can interfere with the absorption of medicine. Praying you don't have it but if you do..hoping you get a good doctor who listens to you. You are your own advocate. Best of luck!!!