Newbie question :-)

Options
cheezels83
cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
edited June 2016 in Social Groups
So I am currently still at the reading stage of LCHF and am going grocery shopping tomorrow... there seems to be a lot of variation and different programs?

I am over 300lbs (150kg) only 164cm tall and have an underactive thryroid which I take a combination of T3 and T4 to treat.
I don't want to jump around all different plans, but would like a little push in one direction about which one I could start with for the next month. Also a plan preferably that gives you a shopping list for a set week- or something similar...
Or- do I just log foods and keep to the macros? Any advice on what I should change my macros to for being this weight?

Any advice greatly appreciated :-)

Replies

• arkansasteriann
    arkansasteriann Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    some of the best advice I've had is simply to stick to real, basic foods that you enjoy and which meet the lchf way of eating and plan a few meals around those items that you will enjoy eating often. that takes away a lot of the angst of planning and cooking unfamiliar foods.

Kudos to you! any change can be unsettling at first but keep at it and you WILL succeed! I personally find that eating a high percentage of fat keeps me feeling satisfied and after a while it really helps curb cravings.

give yourself time to adjust!!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your preference. If you need the structure of pre planned meals and an exact plan to follow, check out www.ruled.me
    I know there are some free recipes and meal plan resources on there. I'm sure there are other places to get free ones too, but I am the opposite person that needs to be able to just do what I want from meal to meal, so a plan and even recipes are annoying to me. Lol
    If you want a "plan" that's not exactly a meal plan, just go with the idea that certain foods are simply not foods for you anymore. Like, don't buy fruit or bread or potatoes or rice or sweets and things like that. Only buy, meat and cheese and green leafy vegetables and healthy fats like butter, coconut oil, olive oil and stuff like that. Then make whatever you want from the food that is "your food". I say it like that because that's the method that's worked so well for me. Those other things are no more my food than a bag of kibble is. So I don't have to try to avoid them because I simply wouldn't ever consider eating them in the first place. They aren't food for me.
    This way of following a no-plan, plan, has made buying and cooking food very simple for me. I know what is my food and what isn't. I'm never bargaining with myself to fit a tiny bit of dog food in here and there. Lol
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    We LCed the meals we were already eating.
    Ham, cabbage & potatoes now has no potatoes.
    California burgers just don't have a bun.
    Bacon & eggs with home fries & toast is now
    bacon & eggs with fresh tomatoes.
    You get the gist :)

For more ideas just look at open diaries &
    don't hesitate to ask questions.

>:) or o:)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm in the camp with @KenSmith108 I stopped eating the carb stuff I make for the rest of the family for dinner. For example, last night was stir fry - normally I make the rice with everything else. Last night the rice was made separate and Rowdy added the rice to his plate, I ate the meat and veggies. I try to keep my carbs under 20 so even the veggies I'm very careful about.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Morning, I have just found diet doctor.com,

you don't have to become a member, he has a FREE two week plan, also lots of delicious recipes that are really easy.

Have been feeding them to hubby & he has not noticed the lack of potatoes/ rice / pasta - may be worth a look
  • cheezels83
    cheezels83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Really great tips! I have downloaded a 2 week plan from the Diet Doctor website that has a shopping list and while I don't think I would make everything on the plan, the idea of using the ingredients to make something else is a great one. I do need some structure to get into the swing of things. If I had a handle on any type of meal plan I wouldn't be as big as I am now....
    First breakfast done!
    Zucchini sauted in butter with cherry tomatoes, eggs and sprinkling of cheese.
    Total Calories: 404
    Carbs = 9
    Fat = 31
    Protein = 22

Was surprised that that zucchini was so many of the carbs but I guess I will be having lots of "surprises" over the next weeks!

Off to do a shop later.

:-)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are many different approaches to low carb! Basically, anything below 150 gm a day is considered low carb. Finding the level that works for you (weight loss, and feeling healthy) is the key!

I'm glad you found a plan that you feel can help you get off to a great start! Hang in there, and welcome!
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've done low carb before, but I never did low carb, high fat, following the whole food, healthy eating style of the ketogenic diet. I find adding in the fat and cutting down on preservatives is making my weight drop. I am in the >300 (currently 142kg) club as well, but I'm finding myself closer every day to leaving that, and I'm on day 13 and loving it. I start my day with a high dose of fat in the form of a bulletproof coffee. It's made the world of difference in how I feel since I started that. Especially, if you're a coffee junkie, it's a great way to start your day. I do mine in the form of a cup of black coffee blended with a tablespoon grassfed butter and a tablespoon of MCT oil (your friend on this diet). Feel free to add me as a friend so you can see my food diary.
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I keep my carbs under 5% of my calories (I try to keep them under 20g, getting as much of them as I can from vegetables), about 75% calories from fat and about 20% from protein. For me personally, I have to make sure not to overdo it on the protein, b/c the day I did that, even though I stayed under carbs, my body didn't react well and it took about 2 days (and the beginning of bulletproof coffee) for my body to get back on track. Not everybody is like that, but be wary of the possibility that you might be. I stay about 65-80g protein and keep 90g at my max.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I use this site to set my macros:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

For me, it's easiest to stick with simple meals. I have about the same thing for breakfast daily, and I can make up 4 days worth at a time so it's easy to grab-and-go. Lunch and dinner are 4-6 oz of meat, 1-2 cups low-carb veggies, and 1-2 fats.

Boring meals keep me on track, and I live alone so no one else cares. It's easier to log into MFP because you can set up your standard meals. It's easier to cook in bulk-- I'll throw a bunch of meat in the slow cooker, then partition it out into 4-oz and 2-oz portions, keep some on the fridge for the next few days and freeze the rest. It's easier to shop. It's just easier all the way around for me :)

If I want something different than usual, I'll plan a meal out at a restaurant or host a friend for dinner. I've found that focusing on the company, rather than the food, helps keep me from binging when I eat out.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    And remember. Everything is better with bacon, even bacon.
    :p
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to change!

I started at 315lbs and the best advice I got back then was to keep the carbs as low as you can go (I was at 20g/day) and eat everything else to satiety. That is enough to ease your body into transition, you'll have plenty of time to fine tune everything as you progress.

Good luck to you!

::flowerforyou::