Weighing in on fat

Options
madkcole
madkcole Posts: 110 Member
Since starting LCHF earlier this year, I find that I’m becoming slightly obsessed with learning all I can about cooking oils. Before this WOE, I avoided fats in all forms – probably like most Americans who were taught since childhood that dietary fats make you fat.

Most LCHF websites agree that coconut oil is one of the best fats to consume and to cook with because of its higher smoke point than vegetable oil, as well as its MCT properties. But now I’m confused about something. As I dig into the topic, I’m seeing more and more information about the importance of Omega 3 / Omega 6 ratios and that some oils, mostly PUFA (vegetable and seed) oils should be avoided like the plague because they’re high in Omega 6.

According to a chart I found on the Omega 6 – Omega 3 ratios on various cooking oils, it seems Coconut oil has a really high Omega 6 content. The ratio is 88.1 to 1, according to http://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-6-9-ratio-cooking-oils.htm. Now, I know you have to be careful of the information you find on the internet, but I also found information here (http://www.livestrong.com/article/501579-percentage-of-omega-6-in-coconut-oil/ and here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/85285-coconut-oil-omega3/ that said coconut oil has virtually no Omega 3s. Further, according to most sites, Canola oil and Flaxseed oil are higher in Omega 3s than Omega 6s, which makes me wonder why vegetable and seed oils are so discouraged.

I’d really be interested in hearing from anyone else who’s looked into this subject. Thanks in advance for weighing in! :)<3

Replies

• becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm not 100% sure here so maybe someone else can clarify but..
    The omega oils are polyunsaturated fatty acids - all oils are made up of different elements (saturated / non saturated.
    Coconut oil is almost all saturated - so although the ratio is high, the proportion of oil actually containing these fatty acids is minimal, so coconut oil is not a big source of them.
    That's how I understood it but am no expert!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I've read some interesting things about the fats we eat and why some of them seem to cause heart disease in some people. Though I agree with you that the info isn't specifically clear on how much of what kind. Here's my layman's takeaway (I'm not an expert):

-Use the right oil for the temperature you need to cook in.
    -You probably want some more Omega 3s (this is a PUFA) but probably don't need to add any Omega 6s. And you probably should get this from food like salmon instead of your added oils.
    -pure MCT oil is a saturated fat that needs less/no bile to digest (I don't have a gall bladder) so it converts to energy in fewer chemical reactions. But you can't cook with it.
    -More monounsaturated fats are probably protective vs. heart disease.
    -Butter is delicious.
    -You need fats to digest some vitamins/nutrients and you need fats for your hormones and cells to work.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    @WBB55 - butter is in indeed delicious!! :D
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Great post @Dragonwolf. I would add that rendering fats from animals is relatively easy. I render from beef tallow, bones (marrow & neck), pork bellies and bacon, duck (2 cups of duck fat from one whole duck). Not only are the saturated fats good (healthy) but they taste so good. I fried some eggs in these rendered animal fats, and I don't think I can eat them any other way now ~ just because they taste so good. :smiley: I'm spoiled.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program

ny29matar1xn.gif
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Mmm... Duck fat... *they need a drooling emoticon*

@Dragonwolf -- Awesome explanation! Where do MCTs fall into the lineup of saturated fats, MUFA, PUFA, etc? I know coconut oil is a good source of MCTs, and they are supposed to support fat loss, but I'm missing pieces of that story...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Mmm... Duck fat... *they need a drooling emoticon*

@Dragonwolf -- Awesome explanation! Where do MCTs fall into the lineup of saturated fats, MUFA, PUFA, etc? I know coconut oil is a good source of MCTs, and they are supposed to support fat loss, but I'm missing pieces of that story...

They're saturated fatty acids, so have the same properties in general, though it rates about as high as pure sure in the scale of the ease with which the body can use it (which is why it's so popular in Bulletproof Coffee). They're relatively rare, in general, and found primarily in mammal milk and coconut and palm kernel oils.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.