fresh or frozen

Options
ktilton70130
ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
I am still adjusting to the keto (lowcarb/no carb) lifestyle. I went to pick up groceries on yesterday, I usually pick up canned veggies but this time I did NOT. However I decided to purchase frozen veggies. Do you guys think I will get the same results of weight loss consuming the frozen veggies vs fresh veggies? I did not purchase canned veggies due to sodium. Feedback welcomed. Thanks.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think it only comes down to personal preference, there should be no difference in your results using fresh or frozen or canned. I love fresh veggies but will buy frozen as they keep longer and I use them infrequently.

on a side note, when very low carb, sodium is actually very helpful, you lose a lot especially in the beginning so there is no reason to avoid it
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome!

Have you read through the LCD Launchpad sticky post yet? It is packed with great tips and info on keto and LCHF. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

Items there may change your thinking about sodium, which many people need in greater quantity to keep their electrolytes in balance (and might help you adjust, if you're having energy issues).

My personal preference is for raw, frozen, then canned, since I tend to cook veggies as little as possible to preserve their nutritional value. But I doubt the choice would have a great effect on your rate of weight loss (unless the fresh stuff gives you digestive fireworks...).

Good luck!
  • karebear5891
    karebear5891 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I will usually do a mix. For my regular take with me to work veggies, I buy bags of frozen broccoli and spinach (my favorites). But sometimes I like doing a stir fry at home and I usually go buy my veggies fresh that day for them. And what I've come to believe from reading studies and such, is that if a veggie is going to stay in your fridge for awhile, it's better to get them frozen bc they are frozen fresh without degradation of their nutrients. Just check for additives on the packages. For me personally, I just find it easier.
  • nikesandglitter
    nikesandglitter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The only fresh vegetable I pick up is green beans. Everything else (mostly cauliflower and broccoli) are bought frozen. If I bought fresh, everything would expire before I got the chance to eat it.
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Hi & welcome!

Have you read through the LCD Launchpad sticky post yet? It is packed with great tips and info on keto and LCHF. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

Items there may change your thinking about sodium, which many people need in greater quantity to keep their electrolytes in balance (and might help you adjust, if you're having energy issues).

My personal preference is for raw, frozen, then canned, since I tend to cook veggies as little as possible to preserve their nutritional value. But I doubt the choice would have a great effect on your rate of weight loss (unless the fresh stuff gives you digestive fireworks...).

Good luck!

Thank you I will go back and read it more in depth I merely glanced over it when I first began. THank you very much.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Frozen is a great option-- most are fresher than the ones in the produce section (they're usually frozen a day or two after being picked, instead of hitting your store a week or more later). Very few nutrients are lost, compared to canning. Economical, easy, healthy, tasty... What's not to love?!
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The other thing with frozen is that they aren't sprayed with chemical preservatives to try to keep them fresh longer.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The best veggies are the ones you actually eat. I use all three, but which veggies you buy is probably more consequential. Avoid starchy vegs. opt for leafy greens.

I prefer fresh baby spinach cooked in butter or coconut oil and a little sour cream. I find it better tasting. So it is more about taste with me.
    My preference is fresh and organic from local farms, in terms of taste (and smell!). Nothing smells like a farm fresh tomato or strawberry! Even grocery store fresh isn't the same.

I need to buy small quantities or they will go bad. This time of year is the best, cause I love farm fresh Cauliflower, Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Kale, Berries and Tomatoes, Avocados.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Between my in laws' garden and my garden, we get a LOT of our veggies fresh. I also like to hit up farmer's markets whenever I can. We're in an agricultural community, so that tends to be super affordable. We do buy some frozen, too- especially things we don't eat often. Either way, you're eating veggies. It really doesn't matter how you get them.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Good luck!

Ditto
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Fresh is great only if you can eat it fresh...which is hard unless you're a wizard and can keep them fresh for weeks (I can do this with lettuce and some greens). one thing I think people waste the most of, if they waste any food, is fresh veggies.

That said, frozen is great! Like other said, it's often fresher than fresh, depending upon your source. I went to the farmers market here in St. Paul yesterday and got dill, mint, collard greens, three kinds of lettuce, bok choy, radish, and asparagus that were picked just the day before, but not everyone has access to this. I love frozen spinach, broccoli, and cauliflower. Since I almost always cook them in soups or casseroles, they need not be fresh.

As for canned things, I am not above canned things, but I typically only buy canned evaporated milk, jarred pasta sauce, pumpkin puree, and the obvious stuff you can't always get fresh (olives, pickles). Canned tomatoes are amazing, because they're almost always fresher than what I can get unless it's tomato season in Minnesota, which is frightfully short (from July til September) and store-bought tomatoes in winter here are not usually that great, except I occasionally buy the little 'cherubs' and 'sunbursts' kind from Mexico.
  • ktilton70130
    Options
    Thank you guys. I may take a trip to the farmers market this weekend just to take a look and try somethings out. I buy produce every week to ensure I don't waste food. I thank you guys for the feedback I appreciate it.