Bulking intake

Options
VeinsAndBones
VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
I'm on day two of my bulk: 150 cals over maintenance """note""" (recovering anorexic not looking to cut, I could use another 15-20lbs on my frame)

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc) 5'11/136.5lbs/17/~10% (Could be lower)

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average? 2,550 rest days, 2700 workout days

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!) Protein min of 175g, Carbs vary, fat 100-150g

Do you use a food scale and measure everything? Yes, I am rather OCD about this

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?) Everything but water, there's no need since I drink 1-2 gallons a day xD

Do you take cheat days or days off? Not a single cheat day taken

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period? I'm currently underweight...

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity withing the last couple of months? Strong lifts 5x5 (3x week)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What has your bodyweight done since late June?
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    Late June, its decreased slightly, I've bulked successfully (hitting my calorie goal) for two days now, can't really expect to see any changes yet :P
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    good for you! good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    Should I shoot for 150 cals over maintenance or 250? I've heard alot of different things, I stay away from the broscience infested realms of bodybuilding.com
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    yeah why only 150...that's not even 10% over your daily intake. Most bulking threads i have seen reccomend at leat 10% if not 20% over on bulking days...

edit: also, like this part of leangains alot...focus on eating over more on heavy training days and at or just under on rest days
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Should I shoot for 150 cals over maintenance or 250? I've heard alot of different things, I stay away from the broscience infested realms of bodybuilding.com

I would stay at your current intake for at least 1 week and monitor changes in bodyweight. If you do not show any change in bodyweight (or if it goes down) increase calories by 100 and repeat.
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options

I would stay at your current intake for at least 1 week and monitor changes in bodyweight. If you do not show any change in bodyweight (or if it goes down) increase calories by 100 and repeat.

Roger that ;)
  • SideSteel
    Options

Roger that ;)

You should ideally be gaining in the neighborhood of 2-4lbs/month once you start showing gains. (4 being a bit on the aggressive end). Only mentioning this so you get a good idea as to rate of gain. If you fall outside of this margin I would adjust intake accordingly to keep you in this slot.

This is assuming that you're adding weight to the barbell over the course of time per your programming.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Id like to add that 10g EAAs with the 3 major meals will ensure protein synthesis as all nine essential amino acids are circulating throughout the day.
    I think you are using raw milk?
    That should suffice.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Of like to add that 10g EAAs with the 3 major meals will ensure protein synthesis as all nine essential amigos are circulating throughout the day.
    That should suffice.

If he is hitting his protein (with decent AAs and availability) then he would be getting this anyway unless his eating habits are totally off. Basic milk is extremely bioavailable - raw has nothing to do with it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Are you still doing a lot of cycling?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Id like to add that 10g EAAs with the 3 major meals will ensure protein synthesis as all nine essential amino acids are circulating throughout the day.
    That should suffice.

If someone were bulking on 1 big-*kitten* dose of protein I could see some potential hypothetical benefits in spreading that out but beyond that, if you're eating a few times per day I don't see a purpose in trying to micromanage EAA levels acutely.

In other words, I bet the majority of people on a bulking intake are getting protein distributions that either go well beyond those figures or get close enough that the differences (if they are important to begin with) are negligible.

Not worth the micromanaging in my opinion -- plenty of other variables that contribute far greater to the overall success of the bulk, such as total calorie and macro intake, training performance, programming, etc.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You assume his nutrition is spot on.
    I'm simply stating that added EAAs will help not only in recovery but also help keep gains clean and slow the accumulation of fat.
    I know there is no silver bullet but its a simple addition in case he isn't getting all the aminos.
    My point is he's drinking raw milk, add it to the major meals since its supremely better than pasteurized milk due to the greater bioavailability of vits: a, b6, c, manganese, cla as well as improving gut microbiome where the nutrients from his food are being absorbed.
    He's a former ED and as such may have some digestive issues.
    He will need every helpful element in his corner.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    You assume his nutrition is spot on.
    I'm simply stating that added EAAs will help not only in recovery but also help keep gains clean and slow the accumulation of fat.
    I know there is no silver bullet but its a simple addition in case he isn't getting all the aminos.
    My point is he's drinking raw milk, add it to the major meals since its supremely better than pasteurized milk due to the greater bioavailability of vits: a, b6, c, manganese, cla as well as improving gut microbiome where the nutrients from his food are being absorbed.
    He's a former ED and as such may have some digestive issues.
    He will need every helpful element in his corner.

It is still micromanaging and ^^this does not change or invalidate what we have said. And yes, we know he had an ED, which is why giving him something else to micromanage, even if it actually makes a difference, is not a good idea in our opinion.

And what is 'clean gains'? You slow the accumulation of fat by not being at too much of a surplus.

And raw milk is not supremely better than pasteurized.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I would much rather that someone recovering from an ED have minimal dietary restriction vs adding extraneous elements that may only make a minuscule difference under specific contexts.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Only trying to help.

I know you guys know your stuff so I shouldn't have posted at all.

Sara ill still disagree about the milk but this is your house so ill respectfully bow out.

Sorry for posting and I hope I didn't complicate things.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Context is very relevant for the milk issue.

Also, if you have studies that show the superiority of raw milk I would be happy to look if you wish to PM them (so the thread does not get derailed).
  • VeinsAndBones
    Options
    Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! (Sorry Dan, Sara's a beast... I've seen her squat) There's a rebound factor at play as well if I'm not mistaken. Since my bout with "ana" I lost a considerable amount of muscle tissue, won't I be able to reclaim that pretty quickly? And Sara, no due to my cardiologist saying "STOP YOU OVERACTIVE FOOL" and flat tyres, I am no longer cycling :P
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Since my bout with "ana" I lost a considerable amount of muscle tissue, won't I be able to reclaim that pretty quickly?

I would guess yes.